Emanuele

Re: If you could order now..

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:47 am

Quote from sightlight on August 11, 2011, 04:17
Its good that i didnt got a brand new computer. This is enough for me.

Yes, it could be enough for you and for a lot of people.

But I suspect that for most people it would not be enough as a desktop replacement. Maplin (a UK store) tried a few times to sell cheap non-intel computers. IIRC, reviews were often poor and B-grade products flooded the site soon afterward.

It's going better with cheap tablets, but I think that's because people are expecting less from a tablet.

It's clear to me that there will be no shortage of buyers for the first batch of B models. I think it would be wise to make sure that the ones getting them have the right expectations.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:52 am

Quote from sightlight on August 11, 2011, 04:17
The A model is still worth the try, if you are short in money. Model A is still a computer and it can run nice things.

off topic: Thanks for the information, I would like to know about the GPU since there isnt info of it in wiki or anything. This thing running WINE and some windows games :)

Its good that i didnt got a brand new computer. This is enough for me.

The GPU is a Videocore IV.

Wine (is not an emulator) won't run x86 games on Arm unfortunately.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

kylegordon

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:23 pm

How many? I'd buy one Model B to start with, and, assuming it does the job I'd buy a further 4 to 6 to start with.

The main task is mjpg-streamer to IP endpoints for the home CCTV system, and also maybe mythtv frontends if they can push HD as planned. Bifferboards were going to be used to convert YUV /dev/video* data to IP, but they lacked the horsepower. I reckon the r-pis will have more than enough oomph though :-)

Kyle

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:11 pm

At present I'm toying with the idea of two Model Bs. I'm going for Bs as they'll have Ethernet on board, which means less fiddling about.

One will be built into a keyboard of some sort to give that "retro" feeling that I got when using my trusty old Commodore 64. The fate of the other depends on how its packaged. Its destined to work as a (very) small media server and may well end up glued to a mounting board, along with an external USB HDD and hung on the wall.

(I just had an idea to install one in the desktop case that once housed a Tiny 386 computer. Perhaps I'll do that with the next B I get. I could even mount a USB 3.5" floppy too ...)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

obarthelemy

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Prolly 2 Bs, one to get up and running asap as a NAS/FTP/Torrent server, the other one to mess around with.

Willofield

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 pm

I'll order 1 or 2 B-Models. Is there any chance to run old windows games or dos, i know that wine won't work, but there are alternatives like Cedega and QEMU(?), i wouldn't use the pi just for gaming but it's just a cool nice-to-have-feature ;)

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Cedega is a wine fork and won't work. QEMU might work, but will crawl and be useless. You 'may' be able to play some games through DOSBox and if you're a fan of adventure games like Monkey Island then ScummVM. ScummVM should run all games, which it supports, fairly well I think. Don't expect emulation to work well... you'll be better off with linux-native games (and there are plenty of great ones out there).

Willofield

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Quote from ShiftPlusOne on August 12, 2011, 21:43
Cedega is a wine fork and won't work. QEMU might work, but will crawl and be useless. You 'may' be able to play some games through DOSBox and if you're a fan of adventure games like Monkey Island then ScummVM. ScummVM should run all games, which it supports, fairly well I think. Don't expect emulation to work well... you'll be better off with linux-native games (and there are plenty of great ones out there).

Thanks, it would be awesome playing Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle etc. and some Dos Games on the raspi. You said that it can run linux native games, are there any restrictions or will nearly every linux game run?

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:00 pm

I think we'll have to wait and see.

MaK11-12

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:03 pm

I have no doubt that dosbox will work, depending on the game. I believe if you ran windows 95 in dosbox the speed should be fine.
The recommended requirements http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138349 are : 8MB RAM, ~50mHz 486CPU. Compared to the Pi this is miniscule. But since it's in an emulator of course, it will need more rescources, but the pi should be able to tackle them.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:24 pm

MaK, DOSBox will give worse performance than a 386/33Mhz x86 PC.

Here's how it runs on a Pandora.
[embed][/embed]

Keep in mind r-pi has a slower CPU and in the video you can see the basic user interface lagging. Don't get me wrong, it will run prince of persia, commander keen and all those sorts of games, but nothing that requires much CPU power.

hippy

Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:34 am

Quote from Des_Zac on August 4, 2011, 19:14
Why doesn't anyone want an A?
For me the logic is that it's a small extra cost to buy a B and then not use the LAN or additional memory than to buy an A and find I need those.

Plus, assuming the R-Pi supports it ( and I can't see why it won't ) being able to WGET files over a network is far easier than swapping SD cards during development.

An additional reason for me is that all the projects I am thinking of will either be networked by design or I expect to be configurable from a browser on my desktop PC and I have a network-wired house.

On numbers I will buy at least two, perhaps three, B's. My philosophy is never buy one of any development platform; if something breaks you can check the other still works, if it has broken you're not brought to a sudden halt and, of course, you can put one into use while developing on the other. I'll also buy another two for a friend who has more Linux experience than myself in the hope I can convince them to become involved and also help me get to grips with things I don't understand.

I only hope the first run is large enough to cope with the mass rush which I expect to occur as soon as the R-Pi is put on sale !

Firefox

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:37 am

Probaby two B's (or perhaps an A and a B for comparison) to play with initially, then more of whichever type seems suitable for a given project once I've got the measure of the system.

Chris

Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:02 pm

four model B

DanielSilva

Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:01 pm

2 model B's as a start.

Boo

Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:51 pm

6 B's

theichel24

Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:59 pm

I would order 1 a and two b

Kosmo2

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:06 pm

2 B's to start with

kevlar2010

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:45 pm

I would order a B to start with. Probably order more once I can get one with a case around it.

Bloodred

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:03 am

I'm going to get 1 model B at first, if it proves it can reliably play 1080p mkvs, I'll get a 2nd one.

BananaXX

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:22 am

Depending on how much money I have at the time of its release, I would like to purchase both an A and B variant. Model B to play around with most (hopefully some sort of emulation hub) and a Model A to do technical stuff with (programming, etc). I like the whole notion of 'less is more' and I would like to see what I can squeeze out of the Model A.

bill

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:30 am

2 of each

David Calvo

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:38 am

2 of each, too

BigDoug

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 pm

One B to see how it works as a network media player (followed by up to four more for that purpose)

and another B for use as a 3D printer driver on my Mendel.

stuporhero

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:21 pm

1 of each at first, with a donation if possible.

Return to “General discussion”