MDC

Re: If you could order now..

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:40 pm

If you could order a Raspberry Pi now, how many would you order and what type of R-Pi (model A or B).

Just to make sure I am not misunderstood, I know you cannot pre-order I just want to see how much interest there is, as there is nothing on tv and just wanted to know and gauge interest.

:P

MDC

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:44 pm

I almost forgot, I would order 2 model B's

Svartalf

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Between one and four, model B... :D

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm

S.W.M.B.O. (the keeper of the household purse) willing i'd go with a brace of model b's initially and then start the puppy dog eyes and whimpering until she loosens the purse strings a bit more so i could get another 3 or 4. I have plans for using the first 2 in useful projects but i'd like 2 to try to destroy and a couple of spares to give away to a needy cause if i stumble over one.

MDC

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Anyone volunteering to keep tabs of the numbers, to see how many may be ordered overall. As I would be interested in the overall number.

snicklin

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 pm

I'd go for the Model B and I'd be looking at around 3->4 initially. If suitable impressed and I've acted out all my dreams on those 3 or 4, I may get another 6.

abishur

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:13 pm

I would start off by getting a single model B. As insanely excited as I am about this project (I only sit on the edge of my seat for someone to say something new on these forums :P ) I'm also quite the pragmatist and until I'm certain it will do the things I want it to there's no point in me getting more than one. Plus as ukscone said, there are others who might be upset if I spent more than the 25-35 (45 after shipping?) for the model B, the enclosure, etc. ;) But once it proves itself (as I'm fully expecting it to) I plan on buying at least 2 more and possibly much more depending on how things go.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Michael

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Bearing in mind that the BeagleBoard is 3 years old this week and they have been shipping 100-200 boards per week for most of their existence. It would be interesting to see the numbers split between those purchasing BeagleBoard for education and those purchasing for hobbist work. But at 1/6 the price and even without bulk orders by school districts I think Raspberry Pi will likely outsell BeagleBoard.

I really don't know how many I would order - maybe 6 Model-B initially so I can give one to a few to colleagues, and IT and Teaching friends (most of whom are totally at home hacking embedded Linix) and keep a couple to play with myself. Once the product has matured a bit, I would probably order a few more to give to teacher friends that perhaps wouldn't be quite so at home compiling the Linux kernel from source and the like.

AmyS3

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:27 am

i would get one of each... first.. you know testing n stuff. than more whilst the model depends on the project.
but not for some home automatisation stuff.
i´d rather see the future of those boards in robotics for using more easy programming tools instead of programming mcu´s with they´re own ide´s, flashing, testing, creating pcb´s and so on.
and 700Mhz is damn good for autonomus robotics like realtime video tracking.. the list is endless..

TooDoubs

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:02 am

Quote from MDC on August 1, 2011, 20:40
If you could order a Raspberry Pi now, how many would you order and what type of R-Pi (model A or B).

I would order 1 model B's to try...
and much more later.

wyse

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:07 am

Certainly 1 x B to test purpose. In France we say you try it you adopt it.

Mark Hudson

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:49 am

I guess I would order 1 or 2 to start with for personal use, one to just use as it is for programming by plugging it into my TV and the other for messing about with in my shed. :)

Svartalf

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Quote from Michael on August 1, 2011, 21:14
Bearing in mind that the BeagleBoard is 3 years old this week and they have been shipping 100-200 boards per week for most of their existence. It would be interesting to see the numbers split between those purchasing BeagleBoard for education and those purchasing for hobbist work. But at 1/6 the price and even without bulk orders by school districts I think Raspberry Pi will likely outsell BeagleBoard.

Easily. I don't think there's as many as you'd think for education. Most of the owners seem to be hobby people- or someone getting it to have a testbed machine for some other similar target system (waves hand...). Having said that, they have fun trying to fill those orders- and we won't get into the PandaBoards... :D

I really don't know how many I would order - maybe 6 Model-B initially so I can give one to a few to colleagues, and IT and Teaching friends (most of whom are totally at home hacking embedded Linix) and keep a couple to play with myself. Once the product has matured a bit, I would probably order a few more to give to teacher friends that perhaps wouldn't be quite so at home compiling the Linux kernel from source and the like.

Heh... That won't take long. All it's going to take is placing the current info and a board in the hands of someone familiar with OpenEmbedded and a couple of weeks. :)

Chris

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:44 pm

4 Model B to begin with for my general setups

another 10 if clustering works well

The Ferminator

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:32 pm

One model B for now. I will probably buy more later though as long as they stay close to the target price range.

Clustering these would be nice if the price stays down.

LuisSP

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:52 am

1 of each.

Des_Zac

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Why doesn't anyone want an A? I would get one of each and then switch between them and try to get one a month. :D

L_J_S_23

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:56 pm

I think 2x Model B's for me... and maybe a couple of A's to give away as presents to like minded friends.

Lob0426

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:11 pm

At least 2 model B's for me and one for a freind in New Jersey. I chose the Model B's because of the memory size and network, though the extra USB doesn't hurt either. It looks like the Model B's will be the most popular.
The beagle board uses a 512Mb top PoP memory similar to the one used in Ras.Pi. So I hope a Model C will be in the future which will probably cost me for two more. It all comes down to how many they can sell so they can leverage into even better components. By the way my twin brother is talking about two model B's also. You can buy like 4 model B's or 6 Model A's for the cost of one Beagle board. And a Ras.Pi with a tegra on it probably another 2 and so on until divorce looms. lol.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

migo

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:11 am

I'd get 1 model B. My main interest would be seeing if it's suitable as a net top. If Iceweasel gets HW acceleration working and the memory leak bug is fixed, and it performs well enough on HTML5, then that could literally be all someone needs. And if that's the case, I can go around recommending it to other people. Probably schools and libraries to start, but there might be some individuals who just want something simple and cheap to cover the basics.

duese

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:57 pm

I would Order 3 Bs for myself and 3-4 other Bs for doing similar things and give them to friends/parents etc.

Some ppl. wrote about clustering. Could you give a hint or a Link how you would do? Im new in this, but it sounds very intresting.

EDIT: Sorry for informations look @: http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....&t=57

Losky

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:44 pm

I think i order 2 Bs for testing my setup
and then... like 30 for using in production
if the device works, i'll be purchasing 10 more every 3 or 4 months
who knows ?

sightlight

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:17 pm

I would order 2. Me and a friend.
Whats the difference between A and B?

EDIT: i researched on wikipedia and looks like model B will have more ram.

I think ill get a B and a A.

when is it coming out?

abishur

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:52 pm

It's currently planned on being released maybe towards the end of November. We'll have more details as the release date approaches.

Make sure to read the "Read before Posting" thread in my signature, it provides a good intro into the r-pi device :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

sightlight

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:17 am

The A model is still worth the try, if you are short in money. Model A is still a computer and it can run nice things.

off topic: Thanks for the information, I would like to know about the GPU since there isnt info of it in wiki or anything. This thing running WINE and some windows games :)

Its good that i didnt got a brand new computer. This is enough for me.

Return to “General discussion”