liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Sheesh!

Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 pm

I really hope you're being humorous (if you are, I suggest the use of smileys to indicate tone) - ad hominem attacks on other forum members are strictly discouraged here.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Let's hope so eh! Anyway, must be off, got some smartarse troll comments to make..
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

JonB

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:47 am

JamesH said:

Let's hope so eh! Anyway, must be off, got some smartarse troll comments to make..

Ha ha, "on another forum", we hope..

Seriously though, it's been said before - what we need is to host this forum on some better platform, like phpbb or the like. This would make searching easier as well as the normal stuff like editing or deleting posts and moderating. And one other key feature - "view posts since last visit" (which I know was turned off due to database issues).

The normal reply from the Foundation dudes (well, Liz, actually) is that they're busy getting the Pi into distribution and "wouldn't you rather have a Pi sooner than a prettier forum?"

Well, for me the answer is "yes"; however, I do hope that when it is finally up and running we can revisit the board. It definitely needs a more logical structure and better quality forum software, because what we have now is pretty clunky.

IMHO, of course!

jamesh

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:12 am

JonB said:

JamesH said:

Anywhere - I like to spread the Love. My favourite troller of the moment is a guy call Dan Frederiksen who frequents space and space travel forums - search him out if you really want to see trollish comments!
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

liz

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 am

JonB said:

JamesH said:

Seriously though, it's been said before - what we need is to host this forum on some better platform, like phpbb or the like. This would make searching easier as well as the normal stuff like editing or deleting posts and moderating. And one other key feature - "view posts since last visit" (which I know was turned off due to database issues).

Actually, you can still view posts since your last visit - it's at the top of the forums page. You *can't* have a widget on the front page that displays the (n) most recent posts, because that requires a big database query every time somebody loads that page, and we get a *lot* of visitors.

There's a new search tool on the front page which you can use for the forum. And when we do move to new forum software, we'll be keeping the feature (it's not a bug) where you can't edit a post if somebody has posted after you; it's there to stop people from throwing a snit and changing the record of what they've said in a conversation, which happened a few times before we started this editing policy.

grumpyoldgit

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:47 pm

The view unread posts option works really well for me although a number of posters have reported problems with it. There was quite a discussion about it a few days ago but it was not clear if it was an OS or browser issue. For the record, it works for me on Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Puppy with Firefox or Chromium over three different boxes.

mdewey

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

The view unread posts option works really well for me although a number of posters have reported problems with it. There was quite a discussion about it a few days ago but it was not clear if it was an OS or browser issue. For the record, it works for me on Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Puppy with Firefox or Chromium over three different boxes.

Works OK for me using either Opera or Firefox under Windows XP. I suspect it is not displaying quite as beautifully as the designers expected but (a) it is ther (b) it works.

One thing I do notice is that however long I am away for it never says more than 50 topics with unread posts. Not sure whether that s important.

lewmur

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:02 pm

liz said:

And when we do move to new forum software, we"ll be keeping the feature (it"s not a bug) where you can"t edit a post if somebody has posted after you; it"s there to stop people from throwing a snit and changing the record of what they"ve said in a conversation, which happened a few times before we started this editing policy.

liz;

First of all, I want to thank you and the rest of the Foundation for the wonderful work you are all doing.

I'm an old timer who has spent endless hours on forums and have been on both ends of the spectrum.  The noob end, where I know before hand my question has probably been answered many times before but just can"t find the answer by searching because the "search engine" either turns up nothing, or it responds with hundreds of "hits" with no bearing my question.

Then, again, I've been on the end where my "irritation quotient" has reached its limit because some boob is asking the same question that"s been answered a hundred times and you know darned well they haven't bothered to do any research what-so-ever before posting.

The problem is that I have yet to see a forum software package that is up to the monumental task a forum such as the R-Pi, with its diverse range of user, presents.  So I have a wild idea to propose.  In the time between now and the 3q "educational release", maybe some of guru"s in the community can get together to form a project to create a forum package that addresses the problems.  You can tell from the number of people who have responded to this thread that there should be plenty of people with the time on their hands to contribute to solving the problem rather than just griping about it.

edit:  One problem I see with this package is that it keeps replacing my single quotes with double.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Let's slim that down a bit.

I have yet to see a WYSIWYG editor that works, and this one is about as bad as they come. Just develop a WYSIWIG editor that works and converts to bb-code, html or wiki-code (just one is enough, others can take it from there) and you will earn the eternal thanks of thousands of forum admins and millions of frustrated users.

jamesh

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm

rurwin said:

Let's slim that down a bit.

I have yet to see a WYSIWYG editor that works, and this one is about as bad as they come. Just develop a WYSIWIG editor that works and converts to bb-code, html or wiki-code (just one is enough, others can take it from there) and you will earn the eternal thanks of thousands of forum admins and millions of frustrated users.

I think the fact that you've never seen a good one indicates just how difficult they are to write properly.

kasperl

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Aside from the moderation issues (where I agree with the consensus that it's pretty decent right now, but it'll get pretty heady once the Pi comes out of the sky, and more/new categories would probably help), one reason that I'm not quite as active as I would be is that the forum seems incredibly slow. Not just page loads, but scrolling is terrible on my low-end (EeePC 701) machines. Writing posts frequently turns into letter by letter appearing in the minute after I've typed a sentence.Not sure if that indicates anything about the performance of the site on an actual Pi, though.

If we could move to other forum software (or a mailing list or something) that'd be great.And if time there is an issue, I'm sure that quite a lot of people would be willing to look into porting the forum. I know I am quite willing to help out, but there are propbably people a lot mroe capable also available.

roelfrenkema

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:46 pm

There are enough places that cover your request like announced in my signature.

liz

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm closing this thread because it's become unproductive, but I want you to know that we are acting on what's come up here - we're aware that the forum could be better, and we're probably going to dump it altogether for a shiny new PHPBB forum around launch time, but a) when we asked for help porting from the *old* forum, nobody stepped up so I ended up spending my Christmas break doing it, and b) the time porting takes is not the issue; it's the time that we need to budget for unforeseen problems that's stopping us from doing anything in this period leading up to launch. TBH, I think that we probably will not end up porting the contents of this forum, but it will be available for reference after it's retired.

I'll be putting up a sticky about forum etiquette tomorrow; we haven't needed one before, but we're getting a big influx of new members, and the very small percentage of people who troll starts to look significant when you have more than 10k forum members. I will also be taking on some new mods in the coming week; be on your best behaviour if you think you might get the call.

Return to “General discussion”