roelfrenkema

Re: Dryrun on shop

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:15 pm

What where the results from the sticker sales then. Would really interest me, how many how fast?

Lynbarn

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Try ordering some, and you'll see

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Don't have stats in front of me, but we burned through 1k in the first day, then another 4k the week after that. It's slowed off (partly because we have not been publicising that they're available for a while), but I'm still stuffing envelopes with them this evening.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

irvined

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi,

Not sure if I'm missing something here (if I am I apologise)

I have an order for stickers and it now states:

Order Date: 26th Jan 2012

This order is marked as Awaiting Fulfillment

The outstanding balance of your order is £3.10 GBP

Here's how to pay for your order:

Your Order Contains:

1 x Keyboard sticker (We have stickers in stock, but won't be able to ship until after CES)

I did a search for CES and it says it finished January 13th

Any ideas what's happening?

Regards,

Doug

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Did you look at the posting from Liz immediately before yours?

Lynbarn

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:59 pm

irvined said:

Hi,

Not sure if I'm missing something here (if I am I apologise)

I have an order for stickers and it now states:

Order Date: 26th Jan 2012

This order is marked as Awaiting Fulfillment

The outstanding balance of your order is £3.10 GBP

Here's how to pay for your order:

Your Order Contains:

1 x Keyboard sticker (We have stickers in stock, but won't be able to ship until after CES)

I did a search for CES and it says it finished January 13th

Any ideas what's happening?

Regards,

Doug

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I PM'd Liz, and she sorted it out - the status was updated and a few days later, my Raspberry Pi (stickers) arrived safe and sound (and more than I'd ordered too ) with the amount of work she and the rest of the team are doing, it isnt surprising that one or two may have slipped between the cracks.

cakeman

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Will the final sale work the same way?
As I see it, without registering an account one is limited to some kind of offline variant (bill)?

I didn't want to go to the next step with fake data, but I guess it gives more options to pay then? Or is registering first necessary to pay via other methods?

Also, is there any chance there will be more ways to pay, maybe in the future? So far it's either PayPal which I don't want to use, Credit cards which I don't have, or bank transfer which is fine, but will probably take far too long to have any chance of getting one out of the first batch.

abishur

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm

cakeman said:

Also, is there any chance there will be more ways to pay, maybe in the future? So far it's either PayPal which I don't want to use, Credit cards which I don't have, or bank transfer which is fine, but will probably take far too long to have any chance of getting one out of the first batch.

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but if you don't want to use PayPal (which has been proven to be vastly secure over the past decade or so it's been in use), Credit cards, or a bank transfer(which is basically PayPal )... what method is left?  We've been told that they are not going to do CoD, but I believe they've said you can mail them your check/cash and once they receive payment they'll send you the r-pi... but that's an extremely insecure method! (and even slower than a bank transfer)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:34 pm

I would have thought that unless you live off the grid in a fortified bunker in the Nevada desert or are such a Luddite that you do all your transactions in coin of the Realm, it would be impossible to even do your weekly shopping without using a card of some sort. Just try buying something from Amazon in cash or by cheque and see what sort of response you would get!

abishur

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:41 pm

I actually have a sister-in-law who doesn't have a Credit Card.  Just can't handle having one so she does everything in cash.  Some people have a religious opposition to credit cards and while I may not share that belief I can certainly respect their decision to hold themselves to that standard

Also while Amazon doesn't do checks, they do allow payments straight from a bank account.  Which is really what PayPal is.  It's a payment from your bank account to someone else, but it does act as a middle man and takes a small percentage of the sale.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

S0litaire

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm

cakeman said:

Will the final sale work the same way?
As I see it, without registering an account one is limited to some kind of offline variant (bill)?

I didn't want to go to the next step with fake data, but I guess it gives more options to pay then? Or is registering first necessary to pay via other methods?

There's nothing stopping you registering on the sales site now. Unless you don't want to give your address to the guys that will be packing your R-Pi >_0 lol

You don't need to order anything (you only need to enter Credit/debit card details if you actually order something)
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:50 pm

I have interpreted the word credit card to encompass all credit and debit cards. While I have a credit card I never use it as for any on-line payment I have ever had to make, a debit card is acceptable. I am assuming that debit cards will be acceptable and that there are few religions, if any, which have objections to them.

RaTTuS

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:51 pm

http://www.moneysupermarket.co.....paidcards/

if you don't have a CC then a prepaid one may work for you .
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:51 pm

prepaid giftcards (american express definitely) work

cakeman

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:47 pm

May I ask what country you live in Grumpyoldgit?
I pay everything in cash and I don"t know anyone who uses a credit card or even has one. Not even my parents or anyone in my family.

If you are American I can understand that having no credit card is something very unusual. I never understood the appeal.

But I suppose I shouldn't talk about such things. I don't a mobile phone nor a TV either.

I think direct debit is not possible in the US, which is the way I buy things on amazon and as far as I know it is quite common in the UK as well.

But as it seems that is not a way to buy the pi. Amazon also has a service that handles the payment, but as it is rather new and adds a fee for the seller it won"t be a choice here either, or could it? PayPal has a fee too.

Paypal is similar to that service. But that means putting trust in yet another service that provides the same benefit.

I guess the prepaid card is the way to go.

Or bank transfer.

But I wonder, if I know the sales will be open and I can only do the transfer the next day. It probably won"t get trough soon enough. I doubt the stock lasts longer than a few hours…

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

As I said above, I have a credit card but never use it. I do have a debit card though and I have to admit that I don't know any adult that doesn't. To use a bank account you need at least a debit card as many shops now refuse to accept cheques. I can't imagine a bank allowing you to open an account without having some sort of card to allow you to withdraw cash or make payments. I use cash to buy a pint in the pub or a cup of coffee but that's about it. Without a debit card it is very difficult to buy stuff on-line such as gig or theatre tickets, use Ebay, Amazon, pay your bills, administer a student loan, etc, etc. Certainly trying to get tickets for something like Glastonbury would be impossible without access to some sort of card.

Paypal is free if you are making payments but it needs some sort of account to be drawing from. I've got no idea how old you are but I am sure that when my daughters were at school there were visits from the local banks and they certainly couldn't go to Uni without a bank account for processing payments, loans and donations from the Bank of Dad.

Other people have suggested some sort of front loaded card, so if you don't have a bank account that is perhaps the way to go.

Lynbarn

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Paypal is free if you are making payments but it needs some sort of account to be drawing from.

You don't need to have your own PayPal account to buy a 'Pi. The Foundation uses the Paypal system to process online transactions. You can use a PayPal account if you have one, or use a Credit or Debit card (internationally), including prepaid cards.

So far as I know, there is no premium for paying this way, as The Foundation absorbs the transaction charges (as a charity, they may even have been able to arrange a special rate, but that is their business, not ours!) Thus anyone paying online will be afforded the same level of service, and when the flood gates open, will all stand an equal chance of buying a 'Pi

If you don't have a PayPal account, a credit or a debit card, i suggest you get one of the prepaid cards, and put your cash on it - toot-sweet!

Tomo2k

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I have interpreted the word credit card to encompass all credit and debit cards. While I have a credit card I never use it as for any on-line payment I have ever had to make, a debit card is acceptable. I am assuming that debit cards will be acceptable and that there are few religions, if any, which have objections to them.

If you are a resident of the UK, it's actually quite a lot safer to use a credit card online than a debit card.

This is because of the extra protection you automatically get from the Consumer Credit Act when you use a credit card.

Reversing a debit card transaction is relatively difficult and takes a while, during which time you may risk overdraft charges etc which are not always possible to recover.
- It took a few weeks for me to get the money back after somebody nicked my wallet and used my debit cards, and I never got all of it.

Clearing up a Direct Debit error is slow and relatively painful from the twice that happened.

I've never tried reversing bank transfers, but my mum tells me it's much harder than DD.

Credit cards will normally 'freeze' the transaction immediately pending investigation, you rarely need to contact the merchant at all, and you usually have a month between statement and owing the actual money. You can claim quite a long time after the transaction - and even for things like "goods not fit for purpose".

The few fraudulent credit card transactions I've suffered were resolved to my satisfaction long before the bill became due, so I was never left out of pocket.

Pre-paid "credit" cards worry me though, as I have no idea if they are actually covered by the CCA - possibly not.

Other nations have different laws of course.

That said, I know some people do have a lot of trouble controlling their spending with credit cards.

I treat mine as a "debit card plus" - I only want the CCA protections, I don't want to actually 'borrow' anything so I always pay the whole thing every month.

Chris.Rowland

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:10 pm

If you want to check that the ordering and payment method you are planning to use for the pi will work then make a real test purchase of the labels.

If it works Liz will put your labels in a bag, send then to you, and extract the money from whatever payment method you choose. (Possibly not in this order).

If it doesn't you have the opportunity to sort it out.

Chris

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:01 pm

I am probably being really obtuse about this but I just can't understand the hundreds of queries that have now been submitted about payment and postage. You would have thought that the forum posters had emerged from a tear in the space-time continuum having lived in the 1950s for the last few years, having never used a computer, posted a letter, ever ordered or paid for anything on-line. You are all supposed to be sophisticated developers, wise in the ways of computers who will be showing other people how to use this kit.

I don't understand 1% of what is being discussed on here but even my 80 year old mother in law, who never touched a computer in her whole life was able to use a debit card to get money from the hole in the wall or phone the theatre and order tickets.

The payment side on this site is similar to any on-line payment system in the world. Just imagine you are ordering something from Amazon. It really, really, really is that simple. They deal with a wide choice of cards or Paypal and are happy to post to just about anywhere in the world.

For many years I was in IT support, dealing with people who had little or no computer experience. By comparison, most of them were a doddle! Can we just move on now before my head explodes?

</endrant>

cakeman

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:34 pm

You are talking about the cards you use at an ATM right?
I guess I lived behind the moon for too long. My parents have such cards, but they never used them to pay. I didn't even know that is possible.

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Yup. The debit card you use to get money from the hole in the wall is also the one you can use when buying something over the phone or on-line.

Return to “General discussion”