yago_nfs_tm_91-

Re: Do you think the Raspberry ft is powerful enough to do this at the same time?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Hello

Do you think the Raspberry Pi (B) is powerful enough to do this at the same time?

-host a mumble server

-host a website

-to connect to a vpn

-teamviewer/vnc server

-running a small windows program with WINE

With a connexion of 500kb/s for the download a 400kb/s for the

Thx.

RaTTuS

Re: Do you think the Raspberry ft is powerful enough to do this at the same time?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Depends
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

davidgoodenough

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Well running Wine is impossible, as its i386 only and the Pi is an ARM based board.  Wine (as the acronym says) is not an emulator, just an API which looks like the Windows API.

PimpMyPi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Apart from running Wine as explained above, I would say yes. What were you looking to run under wine, as there might be a viable alternative on Linux.

yago_nfs_tm_91-

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:10 pm

ok thank you, it's not very serious for wine.What would be the operating system most fit?

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:16 pm

yago_nfs_tm_91- said:

ok thank you, it"s not very serious for wine.What would be the operating system most fit?

The default OS for starters is likely to be a cut down Fedora. I suggest you have a look at the FAQ and wiki to get more of an idea what the project is about.

ArborealSeer

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:27 pm

PimpMyPi said:

Apart from running Wine as explained above, I would say yes. What were you looking to run under wine, as there might be a viable alternative on Linux.

I'm curious, how can you be sure?

I was talking with my coworkers about this and one said his similarly powered arm-based, linux running Synology box struggled to run a wikiserver when he tried it.

On Wikipedia poor SSL performance appears to  be one of the reason why Synology moved away from Arm based CPUs to x86 based Atoms. So as its likely to be using something like SSL VPN access may not be great.

Also, the Pi's networking adapter sits on the same USB bus at the ports. I've seen it mentioned here elsewhere that because of this the network and disk traffic may affect each other.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

PimpMyPi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:59 pm

I first took the assumption that seeing as he is talking about a low powered device, he wouldn't being trying to run an extravagant website. SSL may be slow on ARM but it was not mentioned in the original post so again I took it that SSL wasn't required.

What do you mean by Wikiserver? A webserver running mediawiki or such? I struggle to see how a 700mhz ARM soc would struggle with a light webserver pushing out wiki pages. I don't know what distro Synology use or how it is setup which could have many varying factors to it's performance. On top of that managing whatever it was designed to do (raid parity, it's own webserver gui etc…?) would impair it's performance.

The only thing which I would imagine it possibly struggling with is the Mumble sever, depending on the amount of encoding/decoding it has to do and of course users.

Your point about the USB bus is fairly moot as all this can be running from the sd card so no USB would be necessary. I retract this if the sd card shares the same bus as the ethernet.

When people ask questions about running programs on the Pi, I automatically assume they have at least enough knowledge to not be attempting anything daft. My main experience with an ARM SoC is the beagleboard, which is understandably a fair bit faster, but it would also laugh at this type of task as long as the amount of users were restrained – therefore I believe that the Pi would be able to cope with some light home-based (fairly standard) networking tasks that he seems to be requiring.

Of course, all this is assumed and at no point do I know fully what I am talking about having never owned the device! So take everything I say with a handful of salt

andyl

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:04 pm

ArborealSeer said:

PimpMyPi said:

I'm curious, how can you be sure?

I was talking with my coworkers about this and one said his similarly powered arm-based, linux running Synology box struggled to run a wikiserver when he tried it.

Well it depends what wiki software, and how active the server is of course.  Also how much the Synology NAS is serving files.  So it is exactly as Rattus says - it depends.  The Pi isn't really designed to be a heavyweight server.  It might provide a single lightly-loaded service reasonably well, but I wouldn't use it for a heavily loaded large scale server.

On Wikipedia poor SSL performance appears to  be one of the reason why Synology moved away from Arm based CPUs to x86 based Atoms. So as its likely to be using something like SSL VPN access may not be great.

Looking at the Synology range to say that they have moved away from ARM.  They are selling products that use a Freescale PPC processor, a Marvell ARM processor and products using an Intel processor (mostly Atoms).  It looks as if it is the high end NAS units have the Intel products - those which are more likely to be providing file service to many active clients.

Reading the OP, there is going to be a problem with TeamViewer.  I don't think they have an ARM version (yet?).

PimpMyPi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Reading the OP, there is going to be a problem with TeamViewer.  I don't think they have an ARM version (yet?).

He also mentions VNC which is a much lighter more viable alternative.

Cheers.

rpt

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm

PimpMyPi said:

When people ask questions about running programs on the Pi, I automatically assume they have at least enough knowledge to not be attempting anything daft.

You are far too charitable I think! Going by the number of questions about running Windows on the Pi I think there are a lot of people who haven't a clue what the Pi actually is.

MrStipo

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 pm

There is no reason that wouldn't work on RaspberryPi but I think you may have overlooked an important sentence on that page, in the description:

Only ported Windows applications compiled for ARM will work.

So in essence, unless your application you wish to run has an ARM version for Windows (very unlikely, unless it was built for Windows CE or something) chances are this will not work for you.

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:21 pm

again it depends...

a lot of this will be much better understood after we get RPi's in the wild, it *can* work - but maybe not as you would expect - mainly what * exactly* do you want to do ?

Covfefe

JoeDaStudd

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Its like saying how many chips can that guy standing over there fit in their mouth.

At the moment we can make a rough guess, but without your the guy standing there or guy has tried it there is no way of knowing for sure.

The R-Pi should be able to do the tasks you mention (sans WINE), but it depends how its all setup and how your using them. Both the website and the mumble server could cripple the R-Pi if they have a large amount of users or are used wrongly (poorly codes sites, etc).

ArborealSeer

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:42 pm

JoeDaStudd said:

Its like saying how many chips can that guy standing over there fit in their mouth.

At the moment we can make a rough guess, but without your the guy standing there or guy has tried it there is no way of knowing for sure.

The R-Pi should be able to do the tasks you mention (sans WINE), but it depends how its all setup and how your using them. Both the website and the mumble server could cripple the R-Pi if they have a large amount of users or are used wrongly (poorly codes sites, etc).

Spot on.. It will run most of the software.. but how well it'll do it, and whether its usable depends upon your needs.

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:44 pm

also if you find that one cripples the RPI for the others then you can always get a 2nd ;-p

Covfefe

yago_nfs_tm_91-

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:46 pm

ok I did not see this sentence. I wanted to automate tasks in Autoit because it is a language that handles well but I would do otherwise. Thx

ArborealSeer

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:48 pm

RaTTuS said:

also if you find that one cripples the RPI for the others then you can always get a 2nd ;-p

Don't say that.. you'll waken the bramble monster!

MrStipo

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:52 pm

yago_nfs_tm_91- said:

ok I did not see this sentence. I wanted to automate tasks in Autoit because it is a language that handles well but I would do otherwise. Thx

Perhaps its time to learn some shell scripting then? It's not that hard I promise.

petpi

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:00 pm

andyl said:

There is a TeamViewer for Fedora:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/d.....index.aspx

Wouldn't it work? I'm hoping it will.

michel_noir

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 pm

The op also asks if it can be done "at the same time".

It would be interesting to consider the memory requirements of these apps, and compare with the available ram.

I think if swapping  is required, performances on SD card would be horrible,and
USB2 hard-drive sharing the bus with ethernet won't be much better ?
By the way, does anyone know how many memory is avaialble for applications when the system is started.

Prometheus

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 am

petpi said:

andyl said:

There is a TeamViewer for Fedora:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/d.....index.aspx

Wouldn't it work? I'm hoping it will.

No, I'm afraid it wouldn't.

Those are builds for x86 processors, and as andyl pointed out, the Raspberry Pi uses an ARM CPU.

Return to “General discussion”