timbobazza
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 am

Licence for HDMI

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am

Hi,
We're thinking of using a Rapberry Pi Zero in a new product we're designing. We would have a PCB with our own electronic circuit which would plug onto the GPIO header, and we would write some software to display data on a TV/monitor. This assembly would be in a box with just the power connector and HDMI connector accessible to the user. My question is, will we need our own HDMI licence or does the Raspberry Pi licence cover this use case?

Thanks in advance

User avatar
topguy
Posts: 6886
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Trondheim, Norway

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm

HDMI connector accessible to the user.
And this is the PiZs HDMI connector or does it belong to your electronics ?

What kind of "licence" are we talking about really ?

ejolson
Posts: 6360
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:41 pm

timbobazza wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
Hi,
We're thinking of using a Rapberry Pi Zero in a new product we're designing.
How are you planning to source the Pi Zero computers?

hippy
Posts: 8929
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:34 pm

timbobazza wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
My question is, will we need our own HDMI licence or does the Raspberry Pi licence cover this use case?
Joining or contacting the Pi Integrator's Programme should get you the definitive answer you need but I would not have thought you would need a licence; any licences and fees due would have been already been acquired and paid before the board left the factory.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... -programme

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 25279
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:43 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:34 pm
timbobazza wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
My question is, will we need our own HDMI licence or does the Raspberry Pi licence cover this use case?
Joining or contacting the Pi Integrator's Programme should get you the definitive answer you need but I would not have thought you would need a licence; any licences and fees due would have been already been acquired and paid before the board left the factory.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... -programme

The Integrator Programme has an alternative email address:

compliance@raspberrypi.com
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machine is a ChromeBox

timbobazza
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 am

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:17 pm

topguy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm
And this is the PiZs HDMI connector or does it belong to your electronics ?
It's the PiZ's HDMI connector that will be accessible to the user.
topguy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm
What kind of "licence" are we talking about really ?
From what I can tell, a licence from HDMI LLC is required in order to implement HDMI in any product or component. But I'm not clear on whether everyone in the chain has to pay this licence, or whether the Pi already having a licence would mean we wouldn't have to....

timbobazza
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 am

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:18 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Joining or contacting the Pi Integrator's Programme should get you the definitive answer you need but I would not have thought you would need a licence; any licences and fees due would have been already been acquired and paid before the board left the factory.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... -programme
Thanks! I'll give this a try

timbobazza
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 am

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:19 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:43 pm

The Integrator Programme has an alternative email address:

compliance@raspberrypi.com
Thanks for the info

timbobazza
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 am

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:28 pm

ejolson wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:41 pm
timbobazza wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
Hi,
We're thinking of using a Rapberry Pi Zero in a new product we're designing.
How are you planning to source the Pi Zero computers?
Oh! Thanks for the heads-up - I wasn't expecting this to be an issue but looking at the forums it looks like it will be. And the Pi Zero looked like it was perfectly designed for integration. Baffling!

BMS Doug
Posts: 4354
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:36 pm

timbobazza wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:28 pm
ejolson wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:41 pm
timbobazza wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
Hi,
We're thinking of using a Rapberry Pi Zero in a new product we're designing.
How are you planning to source the Pi Zero computers?
Oh! Thanks for the heads-up - I wasn't expecting this to be an issue but looking at the forums it looks like it will be. And the Pi Zero looked like it was perfectly designed for integration. Baffling!
If you don't mind a pre-soldered header you can order small batches. No header is still a maximum of one per order.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 27888
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Licence for HDMI

Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:55 pm

timbobazza wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:28 pm
ejolson wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:41 pm
timbobazza wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
Hi,
We're thinking of using a Rapberry Pi Zero in a new product we're designing.
How are you planning to source the Pi Zero computers?
Oh! Thanks for the heads-up - I wasn't expecting this to be an issue but looking at the forums it looks like it will be. And the Pi Zero looked like it was perfectly designed for integration. Baffling!
Not really. If you want to buy the Zero/W in bulk you can approach us directly, but you WONT get them for $5 each, that's an educational price. Commercial prices would be similar to the WH. You'd need to buy a few hundred at least to get a decent bulk price. We have sold them in orders of 25k in the past, so they do get integrated. Although the CM4 is better designed for integration.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”