jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: New post on the front page: a date that'll interest you, and a datasheet that will too.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:30 am

Some people are obviously going to be unhappy about the extra delay in the board being manufactured. I understand a small amount of unhappy. What I don't understand is why people feel obliged to comment here about it, when it really cannot make the process go any faster. Do those complaining think that the Foundation really WANT these delays? Of course they don't and they are doing everything in their power to get these things out as soon as possible. However, as someone above said 'sh1t happens'.

Complaints don't get the boards out any faster. Whinging about the details of the delays, and despite the foundation being surprisingly open about the whole process, doesn't make things happen any faster. Pissing off the foundation people who are putting their own money and time in to this project doesn't make the boards get made any faster.

So why do it?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

toadstool

Re: New post on the front page: a date that'll interest you, and a datasheet that will too.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 am

@JamesH Hear, hear! Everyone is entitled to an opinion but whinging is not productive nor contributes to the community. Most of the whining rhetoric, its seems to me, has been poppycock and piffle! It *is* a sad indictment of our modern society that people feel entitled to everything "right now" and not "later".

Great to see the datasheet, not that I understand much of it but hey, what a result.

Great to hear that production will be happening.

I, unlike all the nay-sayers, am an optimist.

bredman

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 am

As somebody who works in the electronics industry, I am not at all surprised at the current situation. I commend the foundation staff on the quick resolution of this sourcing problem.

For all the whingers... Try outsourcing an assembly project to Shenzhen and come back when you have learned how life really works. It's not magic, just lots of hard work.

dom

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:57 am

Chromatix said:

One of the most interesting and previously non-obvious things I noticed was the optional ability to use the GPU's L2 cache from the CPU - which would be a net win for applications or OSes that don't use the GPU's acceleration.  This is turned off by default for Linux, which does have access to the acceleration features, since presumably the GPU then relies on all of the L2's capacity.

Yes, this is a features that is by default disabled, but is potentially worth enabling for some use cases. Perhaps move this to another thread, and I'll provide more information.

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:08 am

Jongoleur said:

GET AN EFFIN LIFE, YOU BUNCH OF WHINING CREEPS.

I'm not sure this is entirely covered by "Keep it civil", and quite probably won't help.  That said, I do pretty much agree 100% with your points; Liz and the team have quite categorically refused to make promises with regards to dates until this post.  And just as with every minor setback, it's quite clear they take bad news as hard as we do, so what's to be gained from harping on it?  It won't make the devices arrive any sooner.

As for those complaining that the delays will only lead to more people getting cheap HTPCs, it's been stated countless times that this will not be seen as a Bad Thing; the initial batch is about selling as many units as quickly as possible, to whichever 10k people are lucky enough to get in, and more will be available soon thereafter.  Everyone who wants one (or more) will get them soon enough.

teh_orph

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am

Liz, any chance of some more web server capacity around that date? I'd imagine the site will get hammered and go down...never fun when your credit card is out!

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:24 am

the shop is elsewhere from the forums
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

oztrailrider

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 am

I say congratulations to everyone at the foundation who has worked so hard to get the Pi to this point. You have done an amazing job so far and should be proud. Please ignore people who feel entitled to things like a set in stone availability date, for every person who whinges about it there are 10 who think you are doing great. Keep it up!.

hvc123

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 am

they way i see it is i gotta wait till payday, give me more of a chance to buy one then.

you think people are whining now? wait till the first batch dissapear in 10 seconds the fallout is gunna be imense

Burngate

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 am

... quartz crystal package we had chosen ...
Nah ... don't believe it!
The real problem is the transport method they chose.
Ten thousand carrier pigeons were trained, each with a destination programmed into their brain.
But THEY'VE GONE ON STRIKE!
That's why Liz and Eben are going out to China - to train a new lot of pigeons!

bredman

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 am

Burngate said:

Ten thousand carrier pigeons were trained, each with a destination programmed into their brain.
But THEY'VE GONE ON STRIKE!
That's why Liz and Eben are going out to China - to train a new lot of pigeons!

Much more likely was that the Chinese said "Thanks very much for the pigeons - very tasty".

Burngate

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 pm

bredman said:

Much more likely was that the Chinese said "Thanks very much for the pigeons - very tasty".

Pigeon Pi?

hippy

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Jongoleur said:

I fear that the seekers of esoteric knowledge will decide that it doesn't answer all their questions in those 205 closely packed pages, and there'll be tears and pouts a'plenty.
No tears nor pouts as such but you're right; 'seekers of esoteric knowledge' will have questions which are not answered in that mighty tome.

What's published is excellent and very useful, and many thanks to Broadcom and all involved in making it available, but I'm wondering if official details on electrical capabilities will be coming along in due course; particularly current sink and source capabilities of the GPIO which will be very useful to know.

Burngate

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 pm

A long time ago, in Liverpool, a chinese take-away was done for catching feral pigeons and serving them as chicken.

hvc123

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:29 pm

really ? how did they get the meat white ? must some funky source escuses. lol

ArborealSeer

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 pm

To bring it back on topic..

Whats most annoying is when external sites/twitter users have misinterpreted this as being AVAILABLE 20TH.. then correct itself later on. Boo!!

Sometimes makes you wonder whether 'staying dark' might be better - but I think things are being done well as they are.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:19 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

Jongoleur said:

GET ********* . etc.....

I'm not sure this is entirely covered by "Keep it civil", and quite probably won't help.  That said, I do pretty much agree 100% with your points; Liz and the team have quite categorically refused to make promises with regards to dates until this post.  And just as with every minor setback, it's quite clear they take bad news as hard as we do, so what's to be gained from harping on it?  It won't make the devices arrive any sooner.

As for those complaining that the delays will only lead to more people getting cheap HTPCs, it's been stated countless times that this will not be seen as a Bad Thing; the initial batch is about selling as many units as quickly as possible, to whichever 10k people are lucky enough to get in, and more will be available soon thereafter.  Everyone who wants one (or more) will get them soon enough.

Well, after I'd read all the "dissatisfied" comments, I felt like being a bit Truckle, if you get my drift.  I DID try to be reasonably civil by not mentioning particular posters (I think...).

Nevermind, I feel a lot calmer now.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Jongoleur

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:23 pm

ArborealSeer said:

To bring it back on topic..

Whats most annoying is when external sites/twitter users have misinterpreted this as being AVAILABLE 20TH.. then correct itself later on. Boo!!

Sometimes makes you wonder whether 'staying dark' might be better - but I think things are being done well as they are.

Yep.  There have been a few who have latched onto the 20th and misinterpreted it with great gusto.  Never mind.

Of course, that means in (wow!) 13 days time, we're going to have more tears....

1+1.  Its a diabolical liberty!!! 

(I mean, 1+1 = 10, as any fule kno)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:34 pm

ArborealSeer said:

I recently sent Liz and email about something else but also said that if I ever happen to mention I had a great idea for a piece of hardware (not that likely considering I am mostly a software bod) and that I was going to develop it in an open and transparant way with lots of the process posted on the interwebs then she was to get a large plank of wood and proceed to beat me around the head with it until i said ok i wouldn't do that or I was so concussed and bloody that I had forgotten what I was talking about anyway.

Jongoleur

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:57 pm

ukscone said:

... then she was to get a large plank of wood and proceed to beat me around the head with it until i said ok i wouldn't do that or I was so concussed and bloody that I had forgotten what I was talking about anyway.

I've got a spare railway sleeper, will that be of use? 

laszlo

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Thank you guys for the data sheet, it is very interesting and was exactly what I was hoping for.

mightygoose

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Raspberry Pi available by the end of February... ME GUSTA

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 pm

About interpretations of what we say on the front page here: the thing that makes me want to bloody my forehead on my keyboard is this sort of headline and the "the organisation…admitted", "alas" emphasis in the article (and the inevitable emails I'm going to get from angry people who think we could have magicked boards out of our behinds already if we were just working *smarter and harder* - seriously, I get a lot of those - as a result of it):

http://www.reghardware.com/201.....ate_slips/

The Reg are usually pretty good to us, too. Ho hum.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ArborealSeer

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:05 pm

even the "release date slips" ones are erroneous... how can it have slipped when you haven't ever announced one?

anyways.. on to much more important things

1) do you have a 10,000 jiffy bags?

2) do you have enough ink in your printer for the address labels?

3) enough helper elves to meet postal demand?

p.s. best you're glad that you don't have to lick stamps these days!
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

n3tw0rk5

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:09 pm

liz said:

About interpretations of what we say on the front page here: the thing that makes me want to bloody my forehead on my keyboard is this sort of headline and the "the organisation…admitted", "alas" emphasis in the article (and the inevitable emails I'm going to get from angry people who think we could have magicked boards out of our behinds already if we were just working *smarter and harder* - seriously, I get a lot of those - as a result of it):

http://www.reghardware.com/201.....ate_slips/

The Reg are usually pretty good to us, too. Ho hum.

Just tell them politely to jog on, If the neighsayers can work smarter n harder they would have allready come up with the concept and brought the end product to the masses.

Since they have not then....

Big glass of wine tonight is in order, or maybe a bottle and leave the keyboard intact

Return to “General discussion”