therpiguy

PI3D not opening

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Whenever I launch Pi3D it wither shows the app running screen for a second then goes back or does nothing.
rpihacks.blogspot.co.uk
teaching the many things you can do with your pi

Pankoi

Re: PI3D not opening

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi there!

If you navigate to /usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/pi3d/Full/pi3d-master and run python BuckfastAbbey.py, does that work or do you get an error?

~Richard Williams
The Pi Store: the home of games, apps, tutorials and other content for Raspberry Pi - store.raspberrypi.com
Want to hear about new Pi Store content? Follow @PiStoreReleases on Twitter.

therpiguy

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 pm

When I run module I get tab/space error
rpihacks.blogspot.co.uk

Pankoi

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Would you mind pasting the error here so I could take a look? It sounds like a problem with Pi3D rather than the Pi Store, but I'll try to confirm it one way or another. :)

~Richard Williams
The Pi Store: the home of games, apps, tutorials and other content for Raspberry Pi - store.raspberrypi.com

becky1166

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 pm

I'm getting the same problem, when I try to launch through the pi3D page, the running screen appears then disappears. When I run the python as you suggested, I get the error:
python BuckfastAbbey.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "BuckfastAbbey.py", line 10, in <module>
impord pi3d, math
File "/usr/local/bin/indiecitiy/InstalledApps/pi3d.py", line 31, in <module>
from pi3dCommon import *
File "include/pi3dCommon.py", line 27, in <module>
import ctypes, math, Image, curses, threading, pickle
ImportError: No module named Image

becky1166

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:22 am

I think that I may have solved this problem. I ran

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python-imaging python-imaging-tk
When I launch from the pi store, a window now appears with the pi3D logo (and doesn't close unless I tell it to). When I run the BuckfastAbbey.py, it now sends a load of text to the terminal and then appears to go into an infinite loop with a blank terminal. My instinct is that I'm now missing something else (or pi3D doesn't work over vnc), not that the pi store is having trouble.

jimilton

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 am

When I click "launch" I get the following message;

"app running to start another app or edit your settings please close pi3d first."

followed by two minutes of code running down the screen like a reboot. Then I have a window open with the beautiful abbey that I can't do anything with except move the mouse around to move the camera. I can't even get out of this screen. Is this how it was suppose to open?

Pankoi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:51 am

Hi jimilton,

That sounds very much like an old version of Pi3D. A new version was released recently which instead of restarting and using the BuckfastAbbey example, launches a spinning globe in a window.

If you start Pi Store whilst connected to the internet and click on Pi3D, can you see an 'Update' button in the pane on the right? You might have to give it a few seconds to detect the update and appear. :)

~Richard Williams

Pankoi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 am

becky1166 wrote:I think that I may have solved this problem. I ran

Hi becky1166,

You're correct - it does appear as if Pi3D is missing some required dependencies. If anyone else has problems with it not launching, trying that line definitely wouldn't hurt. :)
becky1166 wrote:When I run the BuckfastAbbey.py, it now sends a load of text to the terminal and then appears to go into an infinite loop with a blank terminal. My instinct is that I'm now missing something else (or pi3D doesn't work over vnc), not that the pi store is having trouble.
I'm afraid that's not something I've come into contact with before. I'm not sure if the Pi3D developer keeps an eye on the forum, but you can find Skillman Media's support address on Pi3D's Pi Store page if you'd like some assistance with that.

~Richard Williams

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 pm

I can confirm that those are definitely dependencies for Pi3D. I'm not sure if they are only required for the demos, but it probably makes little difference to you, and I suspect that the core library uses them.

I don't use the Pi Store, so I can't comment on whether the dependencies are or are not missing from there. (But if you have problems, I guess they are.)

therpiguy

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:03 pm

becky1166 wrote:I think that I may have solved this problem. I ran

When I launch from the pi store, a window now appears with the pi3D logo (and doesn't close unless I tell it to). When I run the BuckfastAbbey.py, it now sends a load of text to the terminal and then appears to go into an infinite loop with a blank terminal. My instinct is that I'm now missing something else (or pi3D doesn't work over vnc), not that the pi store is having trouble.
Thanks becky1166 this worked maybe they should say it requires those dependancies in the description sorry for late reply guys
rpihacks.blogspot.co.uk

Pankoi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:45 pm

therpiguy wrote:Thanks becky1166 this worked maybe they should say it requires those dependancies in the description sorry for late reply guys
Just to stick up for the developer a bit, I've been looking at it today and it does seem that Pi3D has an install script which grabs these dependencies, but the Pi Store doesn't appear to be executing it properly.

I'm investigating the issue now - apologies for inconvenience.

~Richard Williams

jimilton

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:06 am

Pankoi wrote:Hi jimilton,

That sounds very much like an old version of Pi3D. A new version was released recently which instead of restarting and using the BuckfastAbbey example, launches a spinning globe in a window.

If you start Pi Store whilst connected to the internet and click on Pi3D, can you see an 'Update' button in the pane on the right? You might have to give it a few seconds to detect the update and appear. :)

~Richard Williams
I don't see an update icon beside Pi3D. I did update the PiStore but I still get the same result when I open Pi3D. I see the abbey in its own window as before.

Return to “General discussion”