JakeQuinn
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm

A modern alternative to ENC28J60

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Hello im creating a pcb for my my zero (w) aside from the circuit that is special to my application, i also need LAN connection via ethernet, that i need to place on the same pcb. Internet searches led me to ENC28J60 which uses the SPI. My concern is that this chip is over 5 years old, andd is wondering if there are newer alternatives.

Can anyone suggest a newer alternative to ENC28J60. I am a hardware person so please suggest IC that takes little to no effort in setting up in linux as i only know the basics.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 40590
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: A modern alternative to ENC28J60

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3723
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: A modern alternative to ENC28J60

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:06 pm

Afaict the ENC28j60 is about 14 years old (first edition of the datasheet was released in January 2006, though sometimes datasheets come out before the chips do), The ENC424j600 is only slightly newer with the first edition of the datasheet being published in 2009.

I wouldn't let that put you off the chips though, Microchip are pretty damn good at keeping stuff in production for the long haul.

It seems to me that the main advantage of the ENC424j600 over the ENC28j60 is that it supports 100 megabit operation. While as of right now most ports still support 10 megabit, at some point 2.5G/5G/10G ethernet will become more common and ports that support speeds beyond 1 gigabit tend not to support 10 megabit operation. I'm not sure if anyone has had it working with a Raspberry Pi though, google didn't seem to turn up much.

JakeQuinn
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm

Re: A modern alternative to ENC28J60

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Thank you sir the article you linked even has schematics.

A quick question does this IC if i buy it fresh from digi-key still need to be programmed?

JakeQuinn
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm

Re: A modern alternative to ENC28J60

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:43 pm

plugwash wrote: I wouldn't let that put you off the chips though, Microchip are pretty damn good at keeping stuff in production for the long haul.
Dont get me wrong, im fine with old chips, im just a bit worried in the future since i will most probably recycle the circuit i will make here in the future. Using newer chips with newer protocols just give me a bit more flexibility of the circuit whatever i may use it in the future.
plugwash wrote: It seems to me that the main advantage of the ENC424j600 over the ENC28j60 is that it supports 100 megabit operation. While as of right now most ports still support 10 megabit, at some point 2.5G/5G/10G ethernet will become more common and ports that support speeds beyond 1 gigabit tend not to support 10 megabit operation. I'm not sure if anyone has had it working with a Raspberry Pi though, google didn't seem to turn up much.
From what i understood the ENC424j600 interfaces to the raspberry pi via SPI, I think 100megabit is as far as it can go. Going into gigabit territory would mean needing the SPI to run on atleast a gigabit which is i dont think any raspberry pi can do for now. Making the 100megabit my most likely candidate.

Are you aware if the raspberry pi os natively supports this chip or atleast there are good ready made drivers. Im not really experienced tinkering with linux

trejan
Posts: 3064
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: A modern alternative to ENC28J60

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:53 pm

JakeQuinn wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:43 pm
From what i understood the ENC424j600 interfaces to the raspberry pi via SPI, I think 100megabit is as far as it can go. Going into gigabit territory would mean needing the SPI to run on atleast a gigabit which is i dont think any raspberry pi can do for now. Making the 100megabit my most likely candidate.
ENC424J600 supports 10/100BASE-T but you can't get 100Mbps throughput with it as its SPI interface is only capable of 14Mbps.

JakeQuinn
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm

Re: A modern alternative to ENC28J60

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:11 pm

trejan wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:53 pm
ENC424J600 supports 10/100BASE-T but you can't get 100Mbps throughput with it as its SPI interface is only capable of 14Mbps.
That is unfortunate. I see that if make a raspberry pi specific circuit 10 is the only way.

I could still use the ENC424J600 but now only for the future recycalability of the circuit.

hippy
Posts: 8959
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: A modern alternative to ENC28J60

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:38 pm

JakeQuinn wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:43 pm
From what i understood the ENC424j600 interfaces to the raspberry pi via SPI, I think 100megabit is as far as it can go. Going into gigabit territory would mean needing the SPI to run on atleast a gigabit which is i dont think any raspberry pi can do for now.
A device working at gigabit speeds does not require the Pi's SPI has to work at gigabit speeds. In fact the ENC424j600 which handles 100Mbps has SPI which is only 14Mbps capable.

Return to “General discussion”