grumpyoldgit

Re: Cheap SANDISK 8 GB SD SDHC Card

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Just bought a Sandisk 8Gb SD SDHC card from Amazon for £5.85 inc p&p, though I've noticed in the last few minutes they have reduced the price to £5.29! Seems a very reasonable to me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro.....B000VUVA62

mgmt_idiot

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:22 pm

That's the one I've had my eye on after reading the discussions here about SD cards. But I'm planning to wait until I actually get a RasPi before buying the SD card.

grumpyoldgit

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:35 pm

My view is that I will get one with the Pi anyway but I also want to work my way through the various distributions on offer. Also, I just can't resist a bargain. It seems like only yesterday I paid £26 for a 1Gb SD card when I got my first digital camera. I thought it a bargain as Jepsons wanted to charge me £80!!!!

ReCreate

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Wow! That's really quite a bargain, Even though it is only 4X. I ought to pick up some of these. x3 Could buy a pile of them. Solid state storage is always useful.

Prometheus

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Well-spotted, and what a bargain, too!

I wasn't planning on picking one up so soon, but with how flash-media prices fluctuate (often upwards) when the economy is poor, I might grab one of these, now. (I'll be keeping my stuff on an external hard drive, anyway, so I don't think I'd need more than 8GB for the OS and the applications I want to use.)

Thanks very much!

JollyRoger

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 pm

You can get the same Sandisk 8 gb card for £5 (free p&p) from Play.com. See

http://www.play.com/Electronic.....fer=search

justin_sane

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:15 am

Thank you for that play.com link!

I have just ordered one of these! When I got to checkout I got a banner for 10% off SanDisk memory.

I don't know when it expires but here is the code: DOTDMEMORY10

Hope that is of use to someone!

RockyMountainCoder

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:37 am

You all do realize these are Class 4, and they are going to be very slow for booting on an RPi.  You would be well served to get a class 10 for £10...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDis.....00422FBJ2/

riggsre

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

My view is that I will get one with the Pi anyway but I also want to work my way through the various distributions on offer. Also, I just can't resist a bargain. It seems like only yesterday I paid £26 for a 1Gb SD card when I got my first digital camera. I thought it a bargain as Jepsons wanted to charge me £80!!!!

Will the RasPi include an SD card?

Edit:

Nope. From the FAQ:

What will I get when I buy one?

A Raspberry Pi. Leads, a power supply or SD cards are not included but can be purchased at the same time from the store. You will be able to buy preloaded SD cards too. The first batch (February 2012) will not have a case.

mgmt_idiot

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:28 am

RockyMountainCoder said:

You all do realize these are Class 4, and they are going to be very slow for booting on an RPi.  You would be well served to get a class 10 for £10...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDis.....00422FBJ2/

I think that anyone planning to buy an SD Card should read the extensive thread on the subject, particularly the posts from Chromatix here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....rds/page-4

My understanding is that the lower operating voltages of Classes higher than 4 would need changes to the GPU firmware, and some settings on the Linux drivers changing. This isn't something that I would be wanting to muck about with when trying to get my first RasPi up and running. I'm not even sure that the GPU firmware can be altered by users - it may be a Broadcom-only thing.

It would be good if Chromatix or someone could add some SD buying advice to the wiki.

I would suggest that buyers of a particularly nervous disposition check for a verified SD card in the list on the wiki here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Verified.....eripherals

Also, everyone should remember that speed and latency are not the same thing. I understand that the higher class numbers are designed for speed e.g. writing a huge photo from your camera quickly, rather than latency which is more important for this kind of application (i.e. acting as the HDD for an operating system).

JeToMad

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:41 am

About the class 4 cards... have been working with this kind of boards for a while (Beagle clones, Pandaboards, and so) and never got any problem with class 4 cards (I think at the moment all the cards I am using, which are about 10, are class 4 sdhc, both the microSD for the beagle clones and the regular SD for the Pandaboards). If I remember correctly, there were some problems when playing 1080p videos in the Panda if you did not use the accelerated hardware (Wich did not appear if the video was in an USB drive) but using hardware acceleration no problem appeared...
Greetings from Spain!

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:42 am

I would agree. I am getting increasingly confused over the SD card speed issue. There is conflicting advice all over the shop. Unless I have missed it, the one thing we don't have is advice from someone with access to a real Pi who has tried out different cards. I've taken a punt with a 8GB Class 4 Sandisk for a little over a fiver. I'm reluctant to get anything larger/faster i.e. more expensive until I have a Pi in my hot sweaty palms or advice from someone else who has. Even on Amazon, the 8GB Extreme is £10 and the Extreme Pro £20 so I hate to think what the prices are on the street.

creation

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 am

Just picked up a 16GB class 4 one for £7.99 delivered on play.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 pm

creation said:

A great price. I've just checked and it looks to be a Sandisk. Very tempted myself!

judderman

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:44 pm

I picked up a 16Gb Kingsgate microSD off Amazon for a shade under a tenner a couple of weeks ago - this was before I read the thread about dodgy Kingsgate flash memory though.

16Gb so I could use it in my phone & get even more music on there, freeing up the 8Gb card that's already in there for my RPi when it arrives - hope it works, didn't realize there might be a problem. Shouldn't be long to find out now!

Regards, Stewart

piglet

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 pm

creation said:

Thanks for the heads up.

I added 2 to my basket and on the summary page they helpfully told me that putting in code "DOTDMEMORY10" would give 10% off that price… £7.19 each.

2 for under £15 delivered. Bargain!

creation

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:08 pm

piglet said:

creation said:

Thanks for the heads up.

I added 2 to my basket and on the summary page they helpfully told me that putting in code "DOTDMEMORY10" would give 10% off that price… £7.19 each.

I should have looked at the page more carefully, I didn't realise you could put that code in!

cheapskate

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm

piglet said:

creation said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Well that didn't last long. I got "The voucher you entered cannot be used at this time". Darn.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Note that card is NOT being sold by amazon it is being sold by a third party seller "Dispatched from and sold by Gizzmo Heaven."

So you are taking basically the same risk you take if you buy on ebay. If you do buy flash based devices from ebay or a third party seller on amazon make sure you test the flash before putting it into use and before you leave feedback.

H2testw 1.4 – Gold Standard In Detecting USB Counterfeit Drives

The problem with the feedback systems seen on the likes of ebayd and amazon is that people are encouraged to give feedback immediately, long before they notice the goods are fake. By the time the problems caused by fake flash become apparent it's often too late to do anything much

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Are you sure about that?

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you purchase products on the Amazon.co.uk website. That is why we guarantee purchases from third party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.co.uk website. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

Yoda007

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:04 pm

plugwash said:

Note that card is NOT being sold by amazon it is being sold by a third party seller "Dispatched from and sold by Gizzmo Heaven."

So you are taking basically the same risk you take if you buy on ebay. If you do buy flash based devices from ebay or a third party seller on amazon make sure you test the flash before putting it into use and before you leave feedback.

H2testw 1.4 – Gold Standard In Detecting USB Counterfeit Drives

The problem with the feedback systems seen on the likes of ebayd and amazon is that people are encouraged to give feedback immediately, long before they notice the goods are fake. By the time the problems caused by fake flash become apparent it's often too late to do anything much

I ordered and received two cards and checked them with H2testw. They are OK.

Caliber Mengsk

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:20 pm

For those in the US, Microcenter.com has pretty good deals in general

http://www.microcenter.com/sin.....id=0349728 <-- 8gb sdhc class 10 for $9.99

Watch for sales on there that they have regularly. I picked up my 16gb class 10 micro sdhc for $16 (10.20 GBP) last month. Grand deal there. It's either Patriot or PNY depending on when you buy it. They switch between them as they get different deals from month to month.

Luckily for me, I live within driving distance. Near newegg prices in a physical store ^__^.

optimus

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Is there any recommendation for the fastest card (in the 8-16gb range) that will suit Raspberry Pi?

I'm hoping to use my device for logging and I think the files will get to be a few MB each so I'd hate to have things fall over because the files weren't being written to disk fast enough!

Return to “General discussion”