giridhar96

How make a community for a RaspPI project

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:50 am

Hello everybody. I'm working on a mine RaspPi project. This project is based on the idea of a creation of a controller for the lights used in the entertainment world. I would make a community where people could reports bugs, share ideas and write code. The project is not only software based but it will be it's hardware to control the lights, like buttons, potentiometers and display. I have some questions:
1) How do i make sure other people don't use my files/hardware to create other projects like this? I don't think that making a private git hub repo will solve my problem.
2) Is it legal to sell hardware directly to people that want to test my software?
3) Should I request a brevet?

Thanks in advice.

hansotten

Re: How make a community for a RaspPI project

Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:14 am

giridhar96 wrote:
I would make a community where people could reports bugs, share ideas and write code. The project is not only software based but it will be it's hardware to control the lights, like buttons, potentiometers and display. I have some questions:
1) How do i make sure other people don't use my files/hardware to create other projects like this? I don't think that making a private git hub repo will solve my problem.
If you want real control: your own website, own forum. Close everything up,
If you want a community with e.g. code contributing users but want to prevent others to use your products and close the core, then you will fail. No one will deliver free code to a closed project.
Have a good license and enough money to sue license violations. Unlikely for small companies, you do have the mindset but not the lawyers and resources of Apple for example
2) Is it legal to sell hardware directly to people that want to test my software?
Of course you are free to sell anything. Just think of logistics, liabilities, support and taxes. Any pofit quickly will go into overhead and returns if you dont sell at cost price without warranty.
A brevet for what? Are you using a translator?

If you really want to do something like this: hackaday is a good platform, combined with tindie for selling things. And keep it open.
Or keep it closed, and forget about a contibuting user community during development.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

Heater

Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:47 am

giridhar96 wrote:
Hello everybody. I'm working on a mine RaspPi project. This project is based on the idea of a creation of a controller for the lights used in the entertainment world. I would make a community where people could reports bugs, share ideas and write code. The project is not only software based but it will be it's hardware to control the lights, like buttons, potentiometers and display. I have some questions:
Quite often now a days it goes like this:

* Put your code and hardware designs somewhere on the net where people can see it, download it, try it out. Github is very widely used for this. Git hub is very easy to use.

* Put up the documentation somewhere on the web. Perhaps a project specific web site. Or you can make use of github again for that space.

* Make announcements of your progress and releases here and elsewhere. Maintain a blog describing what the thing is, what problems it solves, how it solves them, keep a log of progress and significant releases etc, etc.

If any of this is interesting people may find it, use it, report bugs, offer bug fixes and new features etc. A "community" may form around the code. Of course you will have to be responsive to bug reports, feature requests, code contributions etc. Can be a lot of work.
giridhar96 wrote:
You don't. Not if you want a "community" to form around the project. Why would anyone put any effort in to contribute to your code when they can't us it anyhow they like in return?

Your problem here is that you have two contradictory requirements, a community around your project, a secret project that only you can use. Or is it that you want developers to work for you for free?
giridhar96 wrote:
Depends. Anyone can sell almost anything. Provided it does not contravene any local safety, approvals regulations.
giridhar96 wrote:
If you mean ask from permission or get a license then again it depends what it is you want to sell and who you are getting it from.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

B.Goode

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:01 am

giridhar96 wrote:

In English that term seems to denote a military rank or privilege.

Assuming (from your name being 'Davide') that it is a translation into French of a word like 'licence' or 'Patent' - don't take advice on that subject from random people in an Internet forum. Consult your Intellectual Property lawyer or other qualified person.

giridhar96

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:05 am

hansotten wrote:
If you want a community with e.g. code contributing users but want to prevent others to use your products and close the core, then you will fail. No one will deliver free code to a closed project.
Have a good license and enough money to sue license violations. Unlikely for small companies, you do have the mindset but not the lawyers and resources of Apple for example
I could pay developers too but I would be sure that they can't give the code to others.
hansotten wrote:
Of course you are free to sell anything. Just think of logistics, liabilities, support and taxes. Any pofit quickly will go into overhead and returns if you dont sell at cost price without warranty.
Hmm, are you saying that the profit should be used for the project itself?
hansotten wrote:
A brevet for what? Are you using a translator?

If you really want to do something like this: hackaday is a good platform, combined with tindie for selling things. And keep it open.
Or keep it closed, and forget about a contibuting user community during development.
A license that can solve the first point.

@Heater: I was thinking to buy a domain making a website to describe the project and buy the hardware (with a forum pheraps) and GitHub to use the issue tracker and the wiki.
B.Goode wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:01 am
In English that term seems to denote a military rank or privilege.
Assuming (from your name being 'Davide') that it is a translation into French of a word like 'licence' or 'Patent' - don't take advice on that subject from random people in an Internet forum. Consult your Intellectual Property lawyer or other qualified person.
Ahahaha, I'm from Italy. BTW, yeah I think that should speak to someone qualified in this.

Heater

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:32 am

It would probably help if you could clearly state the purpose of your project?

Is it to create a nice thing and share it with the world for their health and happiness. And hence desire to attract a "communitiy"?

Or is it a money making business venture?

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:00 am

giridhar96 wrote: This project is based on the idea of a creation of a controller for the lights used in the entertainment world.
are we speaking of DMX512 here? Have you tried google with the tags #raspberrypi #dmx?

hippy

Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:59 am

hansotten wrote:
No one will deliver free code to a closed project.
That's not true. It is entirely possible to have a proprietary closed-source product yet allow participation and contribution under NDA. That does happen and people do contribute.

That does however limit the ability to form a community around the code itself. The solution there is to keep the code private while having a public API of some kind to facilitate third-party additions.

Heater

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:32 pm

I'm sure it's possible and one might find exceptions.

But for sure closed source, NDAs, weird licenses and so on are a sure fire way to discourage 99% of anyone who might come across you project from looking further.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:55 pm

giridhar96 wrote:
hansotten wrote:
I could pay developers too but I would be sure that they can't give the code to others.
That's usually done with a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA). Consult a lawyer for how to write one that is both legal and enforceable in your jurisdiction.
A license that can solve the first point.
Bear in mind that other software that you might use or incorporate with your project will already come with a license, and the terms of those licenses may conflict with your own plans. Even very large corporations have gotten in trouble that way.
Ahahaha, I'm from Italy. BTW, yeah I think that should speak to someone qualified in this.
Good plan. Start with a lawyer specializing in Intellectual Property.

giridhar96

Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:42 am

Is the copyright enough for this?

davidcoton

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:32 am

giridhar96 wrote:
Is that what your IP lawyer recommended?

Do not rely on legal advice given here -- it is worth exactly the same as the paper it is written on.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

B.Goode

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:50 am

giridhar96 wrote:

You have already provided your own answer:
giridhar96 wrote:
I think that should speak to someone qualified in this.

Return to “General discussion”