KatSeiko

Unboxing a Raspberry 4 (8GB version)

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:13 am

I am somewhat sure that someone has written about these items in separate, but maybe this can be treated like a collection? First off, let me give you a few "pros" and "cons" that I observed.

First off, the packaging is okay. Safety and user guide, a weird IKEA style card and the Pi itself.

About that IKEA style card: What is it supposed to mean? First row, then second row, in order.. First: Read your newspaper? Second: Hold on the sides.. Okay, understandable. Third: Do not cover.. Okay, understandable. Fourth probably means "don't touch when running". Fifth: No idea. Sixth: Hey, this website's URL!
Honestly, just write whatever you want to say with that into the user guide. IKEA manuals are not known to be clear and concise. You can probably save some money on removing that confusing and useless card.

The board itself is nicely made, but the SD card slot feels so cheap again. I paid close to 100€ for that device, why can't you add the 2 cents for a "springy" SD card slot?

Last on my list: The Raspberry Pi Imager. You are asking us to beta test the 64 bit version of your Raspberry OS. But somehow I have to manually download the img file? Why doesn't the Imager have an entry for beta versions of Raspberry OS in its dropdown?

RaspbianUser1

Re: Unboxing a Raspberry 4 (8GB version)

Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:59 pm

Not trying to be rude but its a box and thats it, meant to package a computer for children to learn and not so rich people, the cheaper everything not important is, the more money can be spent on the pi.

With the SD card issue, I agree in a way but what can they do really.

Finally, the 64 bit OS on imager question. As its still in beta, I don't think they want every human under the sun repeating the same problems over and over. If you want to use it then sure, heres the link https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi ... 020-08-24/ hidden away in directories lol
with the .zip choose the "use custom" on the imager

Sorry if I didn't help
Running either Raspberry Pi OS desktop Full or Raspberry Pi OS MATE desktop
Overclocked at 2200MHz CPU and 700 MHz GPU with a over voltage of 7
Think before you delete something a stranger on the internet told you to.

bensimmo

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Box is a box, not everyone can read or understand English. Pictures are generally sort of universal. the website is there if needed if they don't understand etc. A few words may be nice to add, but I don't know what's in the 8GB version and can't remember the 4GB original anymore.
IS it still the protective card?
uSD slot, it used to be a nice springy uSD slot (B+ and A+) but was changed for the 2B onwards as some people kept popping their card out during use (Something like that, it's been a few years)
Personally I prefer the springy version too, but then a few pence saved keep the price down if it is cheaper and the perceived need to not pop it out easily. Most likely usability choice, not a money choice here.

The 8GB increase is the RAM price difference (and alterations to needed power circuitry, if that costs more) over the 2GB. Which I think makes it the majority of the cost of the Pi.

Feedback is feedback though whatever it is.

64bit, annoying but it is not released, as you say in beta. You don't have to use it and shouldn't be unless you are there to give feedback (32bit is fine).It was said it'll not go on there until release, otherwise people will start to use it by default.
So if people can find the thread for it, find the downloads on the server then they can read the problem and know what they are letting themselves in for.
Last edited by bensimmo on Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:13 pm

KatSeiko wrote:
Honestly, just write whatever you want to say with that into the user guide. IKEA manuals are not known to be clear and concise. You can probably save some money on removing that confusing and useless card.
You'd need to do that in more than 192 languages - since any Raspberry could be sold anywhere in the world. The pictographic card should be understandable by anyone without any national language struggles.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:27 pm

KatSeiko wrote:
Last on my list: The Raspberry Pi Imager. You are asking us to beta test the 64 bit version of your Raspberry OS. But somehow I have to manually download the img file? Why doesn't the Imager have an entry for beta versions of Raspberry OS in its dropdown?

Beta Software is for experienced users to test and report issues, making it available for everyone would just lead to complaints about broken software packages.
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:32 pm

KatSeiko wrote:
The board itself is nicely made, but the SD card slot feels so cheap again. I paid close to 100€ for that device, why can't you add the 2 cents for a "springy" SD card slot?

The *springy thing* on previous RPis was continually being broken by users trying to just pull out SD Card, rather than push / pull to eject. The friction fit SD Card slot is robust and less likely to suffer abuse.

rpdom

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:58 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:32 pm
KatSeiko wrote:

The *springy thing* on previous RPis was continually being broken by users trying to just pull out SD Card, rather than push / pull to eject. The friction fit SD Card slot is robust and less likely to suffer abuse.
Yes. The springy thing broke a lot. Getting rid of it was a very good idea.
Unreadable squiggle

Heater

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:02 pm

I like not having a springy SD card slot.

Oddly enough a friend of mine and I were pondering over pictures on that card recently. No idea what they are meaning.

Quite likely not making it to easy for total beginners to install a beta version is a good idea.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ejolson

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:50 pm

KatSeiko wrote:
You can probably save some money on removing that confusing and useless card.
My understanding is the card has been treated so it has antistatic properties which are important for devices like the Raspberry Pi. I would keep the card in case you decide to put the Pi back in the box and store it in the loft. Even if you plan to use the Pi, I'd keep the card, as it's possible the pictures on it will form the basis for a game similar to Magic the Gathering in the future.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:50 pm
KatSeiko wrote:
You can probably save some money on removing that confusing and useless card.
My understanding is the card has been treated so it has antistatic properties which are important for devices like the Raspberry Pi. I would keep the card in case you decide to put the Pi back in the box and store it in the loft. Even if you plan to use the Pi, I'd keep the card, as it's possible the pictures on it will form the basis for a game similar to Magic the Gathering in the future.

Yes the card replaced an anti-static bag, serves multiple purposes.....

sparkie777

Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:05 pm

@KatSeiko:
only 2 posts and just complaining? Don't expect any help in the future :lol:

ejolson

Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:34 pm

sparkie777 wrote:
@KatSeiko:
The original post looks reasonable and fair to me. Most of the observations have easy explanations, but having curiosity to mention and think about them, in my opinion, is an important part of the learning for which the Pi is intended. On the other hand, it's possible my humour detector is broken today.

sparkie777

Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:50 pm

you can't judge the book by its cover (or "box"). Read it!

So I think it's a better practice to first work with the Pi a few weeks or months. Over time for many aspects you will discover and learn to appreciate the more subtle details of this ingenious little thing.

should after that qualifying period still remain some supposed shortcomings you may complain as needed.
Last edited by sparkie777 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidcoton

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:09 pm

sparkie777 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:50 pm
you can't judge the book by the cover. Just read it.

I think it's a better practice to first work with the Pi a few weeks or months. Over time for many aspects you will discover and learn to appreciate the more subtle details of this ingenious little thing.

should after that qualifying period still remain some supposed shortcomings you may complain as needed.
You might be right. But the OP signed up in April 2018. Surely qualified by now :lol:
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

sparkie777

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:13 pm

davidcoton wrote:
You might be right. But the OP signed up in April 2018. Surely qualified by now :lol:
no. After some time of inactivity the OP started to unbox his first Pi right now :D

davidcoton

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:23 pm

sparkie777 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:13 pm
davidcoton wrote:
no. After some time of inactivity the OP started to unbox his first Pi right now :D
No-one has had a Pi4B 8GB for that long ... :roll: And most of the OP's points really don't take that long to discover. My only criticism might be that the replies have all been discussed before, so an active user with two years' reading would not need to raise them again.
But then very few of us remember even half of what we read over years on a forum.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:20 pm

My take on the card...

1. Read the instructions.
2. Handle by the edges
3. It gets hot!
4. Don't touch when powered on
5. This side up
6. Questions? Use this URL

I am also one who misses the spring loaded SD slot. I never had much in the way of problems with them, but I can well imagine that people did, so the current practice with friction hold.

sparkie777

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:41 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
I am also one who misses the spring loaded SD slot. I never had much in the way of problems with them
the real inconvenience with the two existing slot types and the mass of my Pis now is I never know (except for the most recent ones) is it spring loaded or not. So to stay on the safe side I always first try to push and only if that fails I pull :D

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:34 pm

sparkie777 wrote:
@KatSeiko:
Only 187 posts and complaining about another poster when you should use the report button instead.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

sparkie777

Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:55 pm

sorry, but the trigger condition for 'the report button' has not been reached yet.

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:47 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:

I am also one who misses the spring loaded SD slot. I never had much in the way of problems with them, but I can well imagine that people did, so the current practice with friction hold.
The spring loaded slot is a pain. There's been a number of times I've picked up a RPi to move it on the bench and leant on the SDCard which pops out (no way back) and forces a reboot. The switch to friction was an excellent design choice.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

jahboater

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:56 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Me too. I never had any problems with the spring loaded SD slot, and assumed its loss was down to cost cutting.
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64 Lite

trejan

Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 pm

This isn't on a Pi but the push/push latch mechanism on this type of socket is somewhat fragile in my experience. They're officially rated to 10,000 operations which is the same as the push/pull socket. The problem is if you're rough with it then the plastic part of the latch is easily damaged and the card won't stay in. If you're careful with the socket then it'll be fine but not everybody will do this...

LTolledo

Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:30 pm

what?
nobody remembers the "flying microSD card phenomenon" associated with the springy microSD card slot? :shock:

while handling an operational RPi, a slight nudge on the microSD card ejects the microSD card from the slot, flying away to the unknown..
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

dustnbone

Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:04 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:30 pm
what?
nobody remembers the "flying microSD card phenomenon" associated with the springy microSD card slot? :shock:

while handling an operational RPi, a slight nudge on the microSD card ejects the microSD card from the slot, flying away to the unknown..
This.

The spring loaded slot is cool at first glance, but when you consider the spring stores enough energy to launch a uSD card clear across most rooms, it's limitations become more clear.

Return to “General discussion”