tumblebomb

Re: System/OS Slow-down

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:45 pm

Everyone who has used a computer running Windows will know how they are nice and fast at first but then overtime time the OS fills up with crud and it slows way down.

I have never experienced this with Linux.. and didn't even think it was possible. My mate thinks it will, particularly with if it was running 24/7 as I want to use my Pi for.

Can you help solve the debate?  (and score me some points)

hyena

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58 pm

if you are contstrantly installing/reinstalling crap apps and hacked apps on windows all the time your registry will become bloated .. if you dont and periodically do a bit of houskeeping clearing up temp files, cache etc then windows is fine

re: the pi - by the time it does your sd card will be dead already

bredman

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:05 pm

A computer fills up with crud because of user input. Normally this is by wandering the web picking up cookies and random downloads.

This is less likely on a Linux PC because applications are installed by a central app manager, not by downloading from websites like in Windows. It is much easier to totally remove an application in Linux than in Windows.

If you use a Linux PC to browse the web, you will pick up cookies and cached items.

The best way to prevent crud is to eliminate the user. A Linux machine which is used as an appliance will never pick up crud. The only expansion may be log files.

Therefore, the answer is that the PC does not pick up the crud, the user picks up the crud. If you plan to run your RPi 24/7, you are likely to be using it as an appliance, not as a PC.

lewmur

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:16 pm

bredman said:

A computer fills up with crud because of user input. Normally this is by wandering the web picking up cookies and random downloads.

This is less likely on a Linux PC because applications are installed by a central app manager, not by downloading from websites like in Windows. It is much easier to totally remove an application in Linux than in Windows.

If you use a Linux PC to browse the web, you will pick up cookies and cached items.

The best way to prevent crud is to eliminate the user. A Linux machine which is used as an appliance will never pick up crud. The only expansion may be log files.

Therefore, the answer is that the PC does not pick up the crud, the user picks up the crud. If you plan to run your RPi 24/7, you are likely to be using it as an appliance, not as a PC.

It isn't just user input that slows down Windows.  The original release of XP would run fine with as little as 256mb of ram.  Try running SP3 with 256mb and it is so slow it's useless.

abishur

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Well I don't entirely agree that you couldn't run XP SP3 on 256 of RAM, but that's neither here nor there.  XP also suffered from registry build up.  The system literally needed to be reinstalled every couple of years because the registry would just get larger and larger.  Windows 7 seems to have "fixed" this issue.

When comparing the latest version of Ubuntu to the Latest Version of Windows... I personally go for Windows, but that's mainly because I think Ubuntu has become over bloated

I guess it depends on what you want to use the r-pi for.  If you're thinking about using it as a webserver, eventually even linux will slow down if you don't set up your log files right, but I'd still use linux for a webserver over windows.

If you're thinking media server, both a PC and Linux would perform equally, but then the r-pi wins out on the initial cost issue and the power cost issue and the maintenance cost issue ($35 wouldn't even replace a borken component on a PC, but would get you a whole new pi)  which means your de facto choice is linux as the r-pi does not do windows.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Docteh

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:32 am

I have windows xp running in a vm with only 256 mb of ram assigned to it, seems fine. Still not sure why. Lack of drivers that have to talk to real hardware? I have also noticed that compared to ten years ago, I install a lot less software on my computers.

Edit: barring a memory leak, i do not expect to have any bloat problems with my raspi.

andyl

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 am

tumblebomb said:

Everyone who has used a computer running Windows will know how they are nice and fast at first but then overtime time the OS fills up with crud and it slows way down.

I have never experienced this with Linux.. and didn't even think it was possible. My mate thinks it will, particularly with if it was running 24/7 as I want to use my Pi for.

I've run a Linux machine constantly for years.  I've been running Linux since 1992*.  Over that time I have moved distribution (twice) as I have moved machines.  All of my machines have remained on all the time (only going down for power outages and reboots for new kernel versions).  I have never had a slowdown similar to the Windows slowdowns one gets.

Of course over time the Pi will start to feel slower - a combination of getting acclimatised to its speed, plus being exposed to better, quicker machines.

* My first Linux machine was a Compaq 486sx/25 with 4Mb RAM.  The install took most of the night (from floppy disks).

grumpyoldgit

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:24 am

Abishur said:

When comparing the latest version of Ubuntu to the Latest Version of Windows... I personally go for Windows, but that's mainly because I think Ubuntu has become over bloated

I have not been happy with Unity on upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10. I instantly disliked the large icons and was irritated that I couldn't find anything. This, coupled with distinct impression it was running rather slow on my elderly PC, led me to a search where I found fellow sufferers. There are simple instructions on how to replace Unity with Gnome and I am much happier now. In fact, it led me to a bit of experimentation. I've tried out the various flavours of Ubuntu and am currently giving Lubuntu a whirl. So far I'm quite please with it and the old girl has a new lease of life.

grumpyoldgit

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:26 am

Bugger! I've done it again. I wish I could work out where the endquote character is. Is there any way to make them visible?

grumpyoldgit

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:28 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

Bugger! I've done it again. I wish I could work out where the endquote character is. Is there any way to make them visible?

Doh. Just worked it out. The HTML button.

joeofloath

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Nope, that doesn't happen in Linux.

I actually have a webserver that's been running constantly for 300 days, and that's normal for a Linux box. Still serves pages just as fast as it did on day one!

Return to “General discussion”