clifdweller

Re: compiling wifi drivers for arm

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Anyone know of a good tutorial for compiling drivers for the r-pi. I want to see if i can get this wifi card to work with it.

Rosewill RNX-N150UBE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....66055-L09D

error404

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:11 pm

As far as I can tell this device would be supported by the rtl8712 driver which is in the kernel mainline. Compiling it will be the same as compiling a mainline kernel module on any other Linux device.

You probably won't have to though as I assume that the foundation will ship most kernel modules that might be useful with their distribution kernels.

thewimreaper

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 pm

here's a crazy idea why not tear a usb wifi reciever apart and solder it directly to usb connection on the mainboard.

it should be solder(plug) and play.

Chromatix

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 am

If you did that, you would still lose the physical USB port that those connectors are attached to.  Easier in most cases to just plug the darn thing in.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Lob0426

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:18 pm

I believe we will see all kinds of wired and wild wireless setups on the RasPi.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/....._-33315095

This micro wireless router requires no drivers at all. It can be power from a USB hub and allows a direct connection to wired network through the WAN (I believe it can anyway). I recommended this to some of the people that wish to embed a RasPi in a keyboard. There are going to be a good many USB wireless solutions to be had. After the RasPi is available we will start hearing what works and what does not work.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

pdp7

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 am

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to how to get wireless drivers working too - in my case the rtl8187.  The Debian image seems to not include any of the wireless driver kernel modules.

So I downloaded the Pi's kernel from github and cross compiled it.  I copied over the rtl8187.ko along with its dependent .ko's to the Pi (it's a Beta board with Debian 6.0 & kernel v3.1.9+).  I ran depmod but when doing modprobe I'm getting a darn 'Invalid module format'.  I can't figure out why it complains as the version magic matches.

Anyways, I figured I would post in case anyone has had luck with any wireless modules (or any other kernel modules not on the Debian image).

Thanks,

Drew

Return to “General discussion”