marcorexo

Re: Teaching tool and shares in Raspberry Pi

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 am

Being a highschool teacher I recognize the need that we have to teach students how to write their own programs. The BBC recognized the same thing about 30 years ago and, with the help of others, like Acorn, developed the BBC Basic programming language which was used to teach 'typing' skills in schools all over the country.

Your product has the potential to enter schools all over the world and I am excited about your company and product. I have two questions:

1. If part of your vision is to help develop programming skills of students, what computer language would you use? These days Basic is more like C and is very different to the Basic language of the 60's. Do you intend to have a programming language that is easy to learn associated with your product?

2. Is it possible to buy shares in the Raspberry Pi foundation?

Thanks

Marc

abishur

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:14 pm

They've talked about what programming languages they're planning on using over here

http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....c&t=3

but in theory you should be able to use any language that has a ARM11 package. For instance, we know that the Android OS uses JAVA so in theory it shouldn't be difficult to find a JAVA package. I believe the goal of the project is open source learning, so I doubt they'll have any officially associated programming language associated with the device or course material for that matter. It's up to us to decide how best to use the product for our needs.

As for my two cents go on the issue, I've done programming in C, C++, C#, Java, and even some Assembly. Java came the easiest to me, but if I were teaching a class aimed at teaching some basic programming skills, I would probably show them how to do the basics in all 4 of those languages and let them choose which language they wanted to do the assignment in. After all, the fundamental issues in programming are the same no mater what language you use. The only real issue is the syntax, and that's not hard to pick up for an entry level course.

As for the second issue, Private Charities in the UK do not have shares nor shareholders unless registered has a Community Interest Company. Which is to say, it is extremely unlikely that one could purchase shares in R-pi. But I guess we'll have to wait for an official response from them before know that 100%
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Don't think there is much point in having shares in a charity. All money is reinvested in the charity, so no dividend, so no real way of making money, which to be honest, isn't the point of a charity in the first place (at least in the UK)

As to language - if there is a linux ARM port of the language you want, there seems no reason why you cannot have it. Cross compiling is also an option, as long as you can cross compile to Arm.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Novo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:04 am

"They've talked about what programming languages they're planning on using over here"
I don't understand this sentence.
If you got Ubuntu running, you can use every programming language you want.
(I will use FreePascal and VB.NET (mono) and Java.

abishur

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Right after that sentence I provided a link in which someone asks what programming languages will be provided. Eben responded

"We'll be supporting Python and C as our primary languages, but expect to have some sort of BASIC on there too. Perhaps even BBC BASIC or SuperBASIC depending on copyright issues."

But as I also went on to state, in theory any programming language should be able to run on the R-Pi provided you can get a distro for the ARM11 version of the OS.

If you're still confused about my sentence, please follow the link I provided in my original post it should clear things up better.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Svartalf

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 pm

But as I also went on to state, in theory any programming language should be able to run on the R-Pi provided you can get a distro for the ARM11 version of the OS.

Indeed. I'm fully expecting someone to make quite a range of programming tools available on this system for this very reason. It's LINUX. If it will fit in 128MB of RAM on ARMv7 architecture machines, it, in theory, can be on an R-Pi.

RMW5

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 pm

JamesH said:

Don"t think there is much point in having shares in a charity. All money is reinvested in the charity, so no dividend, so no real way of making money, which to be honest, isn"t the point of a charity in the first place (at least in the UK)

I think you may be missing a trick here James, and I won't second guess the original posters intentions, but the relevant form of words for a charity may be not "purchase shares", but "make a donation".

Lynbarn

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 pm

RMW5 said:

JamesH said:

Don"t think there is much point in having shares in a charity. All money is reinvested in the charity, so no dividend, so no real way of making money, which to be honest, isn"t the point of a charity in the first place (at least in the UK)

I think you may be missing a trick here James, and I won't second guess the original posters intentions, but the relevant form of words for a charity may be not "purchase shares", but "make a donation".

UK charity/company law (The Foundation is both a charity and a company) does actually allow a charity to issue shares, although the structure of the Foundation, as a company limited by guarantee, does not presently allow it. There are various ways the Foundation can raise money as and when it needs to, but that is for the trustees to decide as and when the deem it appropriate. If and when that happens, I'm sure they will let us all know.

jamesh

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm

RMW5 said:

JamesH said:

Excellent thread resurrection!

Purchasing shares implies some sort of share certificate, which is worth something. It may also come with a desire to make money from dividends. It also means you part own the company involved.

A donation is a donation.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:46 pm

It's even in the FAQ. But who reads that?

Kernel

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

It's even in the FAQ. But who reads that?

Indeed it is:

Can I buy shares in the Raspberry Pi Foundation?

We’re a charity, so you can’t buy shares in the company. If you want to support us, we’d love you to buy one. We’ll also be offering a package where you can do a buy-one-give-one purchase, and we’ll be accepting donations too once we start shipping.

Burngate

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Kernel said:

... a buy-one-give-one purchase, and we’ll be accepting donations too once we start shipping.

There's another thread ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....rpi#p53647 ) of a similar nature.

The bogo idea seems to have gone dormant, and might be difficult through RS / Farnell, but I still like it.

Kernel

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Burngate said:

Kernel said:

... a buy-one-give-one purchase, and we’ll be accepting donations too once we start shipping.

There's another thread ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....rpi#p53647 ) of a similar nature.

The bogo idea seems to have gone dormant, and might be difficult through RS / Farnell, but I still like it.

well it was never planned to happen straight away - but maybe they will take donations instead and pool them to give away devices

Return to “General discussion”