BowerR64

Ive ordered a Pi4 but im not sure i got everything

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Im kind of a n00b i think i know enough to get me started but thats about it. I think i forgot some things.

Ive ordered a board (Raspberry Pi 4 Model B)
A model B armor case
An official model B power supply (i know this is a critical part for stability)
And i ordered a micro HDMI to HDMI cable

The part im not sure about is the emmc, do i still need to order this part? Does it work from an SD card? or will i need an SSD drive?

Im only building it to use as like a smart tv box, streaming, some games, internet surfing the basic easy stuff for now

I only really know Android os, im old and it took me months just to learn what i know about it as of now.

Do i need to buy the opperating system?

And help or links would be great
Raspberry pi 4B

They did it for the same reason they flipped the USB and Lan plugs around, because they can. AND YOU STILL BOUGHT ONE! :|

drgeoff

Re: Ive ordered a Pi4 but im not sure i got everything

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 am

You should get a micro-SD card. At least 16 Gbyte though 32 Gbyte is probably the current sweet spot.

Also a USB keyboard and a USB mouse will be useful if you don't already have them.

The OS is downloadable at no charge. Click 'Downloads' at the top of this page.

I recommend a visit to https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pat ... spberry-pi
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am

drgeoff wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 am
You should get a micro-SD card. At least 16 Gbyte though 32 Gbyte is probably the current sweet spot.
+1
Most of my "P4B cards" are 32Gb. Some "good value" 64Gb cards are starting to appear - I've just acquired a couple and testing/playing with them at the mo'. NB: they are uSDXC and, by default are formatted as exFAT which, if automount is enabled on a Pi, leads to an error popup when a "pristine" card (in a suitable USB card reader) is plugged into said Pi (prior to cloning an existing setup ...).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 pm

BowerR64 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 pm
Im kind of a n00b i think i know enough to get me started but thats about it. I think i forgot some things.

Ive ordered a board (Raspberry Pi 4 Model B)
Good start. Be aware that there are three different version of the Pi4B available, differing by the installed memory: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB. RAM on a Pi is *not* upgradeable.
A model B armor case
An official model B power supply (i know this is a critical part for stability)
Presumably, you have ordered the ones specified for the Pi4B. *Some* Pi2B/Pi3B cases can be modified to take a Pi4B, but not all. Likewise, the PSU should be able to deliver 3A, though for most uses a Pi3B PSU (2.4-2.5A) can be used with a microB to C adapter.

Minor note on cases... In general, do not insert or remove a PI from a case with the microSD card in the holder in the Pi. That way is prone to snapping SD cards in half.
And i ordered a micro HDMI to HDMI cable
That is the correct video cable. Start by connecting it to the HDMI0 port, the one closest to the power connector.
The part im not sure about is the emmc, do i still need to order this part? Does it work from an SD card? or will i need an SSD drive?
No Pi uses add-on eMMC. The Compute Modules (CM, a full subject in it's own right) may have eMMC on the board, but general run of Pis don't. To start with, you don't need an SSD. You may want one later, once you have some experience with Pis, but not at first. Everything runs from the SD card. This allows easy swapping of OSes and reflashing in case one does something to really mess up the file system. So it's a feature, not a bug.
Im only building it to use as like a smart tv box, streaming, some games, internet surfing the basic easy stuff for now

I only really know Android os, im old and it took me months just to learn what i know about it as of now.
Warning about games.... Besides generally running Linux for the OS, Pis use ARM hardware. Commercial games generally require x86 hardware and MS Windows to run. Be prepared to be disappointed in this area if you're expecting a "PC type" experience with games.

While Android is built on top of a Linux kernel, and the vast majority of tablets and "smart phones" use ARM processors, Android does it's best to hide Linux where you can't get at it. With a Pi, you've got full access to Linux and all the standard tools. You will fairly rapidly find out that, while not essential, things are much easier if you can get used to doing some work on a Pi (or any other Linux system) using the command line interface (CLI). This does not preclude having a graphical user interface (GUI) desktop. It just means that not every task is well adapted to having GUI programs to do it.

If you've ever used MS- or PC-DOS, the CLI should hold no terrors. If you've ever used MS Windows or MacOS, the GUI shouldn't present any particular difficulties.

As for age...you'd be surprised. At 71, I'm far from the oldest person here. There is at least one other poster who is at least 80. So age is no bar. Welcome to a large and stimulating world.
Do i need to buy the opperating system?

And help or links would be great
As already noted, the most used OS--RPiOS--is free, as are all the other ones I know about.

If you look at the top of any page of this web site, you will see a "Downloads" link. Follow that to find the downloads of RPiOS. You will probably want to start with the "Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop and recommended software".

Where you download it *to* will depend on what you have available. Most people download it to either a Windows or Mac PC and "burn" the image to an SD card from there. I have read of people doing so from smart phones, so if that's all you have available, it is likely possible, but you'll have to search around or ask to find out how. (Not personally owning a smart phone, I've never really looked at that way, though I probably ought to experiment with one of the tablets I have...might come in handy some day.)

wh7qq

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:36 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 pm
As for age...you'd be surprised. At 71, I'm far from the oldest person here. There is at least one other poster who is at least 80. So age is no bar. Welcome to a large and stimulating world.
There are quite a few of us "old gomers" out there with the time to fiddle with RPis and other single board machines such as Android and the esp8266. It keeps the grey matter going to be learning new things, it's fun and low-impact, non-caloric, low-fat, etc. It even keeps out of the political arguments that seem to dominate life (except that too many of the devices are "Made in China"). You don't even have to wear a mask to work on them. :D So welcome to the forum...lots of helpful advice and suggestions here.

In order of importance, list of needed devices:
RPi (4B)
Official Power Supply...right connector and voltage/current
uSD card, 16 or 32 Gbyte, class 10 or A1 from good source
RPi OS, recommend RaspiOS with desktop for starters
USB Keyboard and Mouse (recommend all-in-one cordless)
HDMI display and cable...can never remember, mini or micro HDMI adapter or cable on RPi end)
Internet access (optional in some cases)
Lots of patience with yourself and the forums (mostly volunteers). The smartest programs are really stupid and arbitrary. This may be at the top of the list.

I purposely left out a case. If you take some care with static discharge, the RPis are pretty bullet-proof. I have seven and have manhandled (personhanded if you prefer) them and all still function 100%. There are a huge number of cases on the market optimized for different things. You might want to wait to see what you really need.

BowerR64

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm

What about a USB storage?

I watched a few youtube videos before i ordered everything and there was a few that used USB to boot from, ill probobly start with an SD card that seems to be the easiest for now but since it has 2 USB and 2 USB 3.0 i have some decent USB thumb drives that can run 150 meg and 3.0 ready that would be a better source to boot from imo if i get that far

I kinda lied about being new, im new to the pi world but i have a few Khadas SBC boards, an Odroid UX4 and several china made tv boxes so i know just enough to brick these things :roll:

The Odroid and Khadas boards has a decent fallowing but i think the pi boards have the biggest fallowing that ive seen. Just checking out he cases alone tells me that there is TONS of support. There is some COOL cases to say the least
Raspberry pi 4B

They did it for the same reason they flipped the USB and Lan plugs around, because they can. AND YOU STILL BOUGHT ONE! :|

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:20 pm

BowerR64 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm
The Odroid and Khadas boards has a decent fallowing but i think the pi boards have the biggest fallowing that ive seen. Just checking out he cases alone tells me that there is TONS of support. There is some COOL cases to say the least
Pis are pretty much the "elephant in the room" of SBCs. Total sales across all models are probably in excess of 32 million by now. No other SBCs come close. Probably none come to as much as 10%.

With a little work, you can now boot a Pi4B from a USB mass storage device (MSD). One well favored way to do that is to switch to an SSD. SSDs are faster and more reliable than USB sticks and are price-competitive at larger sizes. My most recent setups that way use 120GB SSDs that cost $30 each plus $7 for Eluteng SATA adapters (I have three Pi4B-4s set up that way).

BowerR64

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:36 pm

Well i just want to keep everyting contained on the pi, rather then an extra cable, plus i doubt ill even fill 32 gigs let alone a SSD cards worth

What about this, i bought some SD cards a while back that came with a jump drive that you slip the SD card into

Which woud be faster? the SD card in the SD card slot or the SD card plugged into the USB jump drive into either the USB or the USB 3.0 port?

Is the bottle neck for the SD card the reader? or is it the card? will the reader read and write at the fastest speed the car will allow?

Its word the USB/SD card thing plugs the SD card right into the front where you push it into the USB port, very weird design
Raspberry pi 4B

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 pm

BowerR64 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:36 pm
Well i just want to keep everyting contained on the pi, rather then an extra cable, plus i doubt ill even fill 32 gigs let alone a SSD cards worth

What about this, i bought some SD cards a while back that came with a jump drive that you slip the SD card into

By "SD cards" do you really mean micro-SDHC cards if so use the built-in uSDHC/XC card slot - that's the "default" boot "source". Full-sized SD cards might work in a USB card-reader but your reference to a "jump drive" suggests it might be of an older, slower type - see my (ancient) "F" here: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... aders.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

bassamanator

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:43 am

You don't need an extra keyboard or mouse. You can always use VNC to connect to a RPI running headless. You can also share your mouse and keyboard between your main PC and the RPI; here's a video from the RPI youtube channel showing you how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G9IIau ... oN&index=3

For a microSD card I recommend a Lexar https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B012PL ... XNWV&psc=1. CAD$15 for a 64GB A1 card, the price is too good and it's noticeably faster than my Samsung.
| Raspberry Pi 4-8GB | 2.0GHz | over_voltage@5 |
| Raspberry Pi OS 32bit |
| https://github.com/bassamanator/raspberrypi-scripts |

Return to “General discussion”