pidd

Zero USB Hub

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:28 pm

I'm looking for a cheap way to get at least two USB ports on a Pi Zero. I haven't found anything in my scrap bin that works and its only for proof of concept so not bothered how ugly it is.

An example on ebay UK would be good but mainly just want an idea of what I'm looking for.

Ta!

rpdom

Re: Zero USB Hub

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:48 pm

Something like an OTG USB Hub?
Unreadable squiggle

pidd

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 pm

So one of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0-MULTI-SP ... 1113682394

And I thought I was joking when I said ugly in the OP :lol:

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:04 pm

Depends on whether you want a powered hub, or if an unpowered one will do. For powered, make sure it doesn't backpower. For unpowered, I've used these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10065 with Pi0s. Be warned that if you power it, it will backpower to the Pi0, so don't do that.

pidd

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:04 pm
Depends on whether you want a powered hub, or if an unpowered one will do. For powered, make sure it doesn't backpower. For unpowered, I've used these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10065 with Pi0s. Be warned that if you power it, it will backpower to the Pi0, so don't do that.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get them over here somewhere. I doubt it will need to be powered, if it does I'll modify it to prevent back-powering.

davidcoton

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:00 pm

Remember that back-powering a Pi0 is permitted, since the USB power pins are not controlled.
So maybe it's even useful, if the hub can supply enough power, as long as you don't try to connect another PSU.
It just depends on whether it's more convenient to power the Pi, the hub, or in extreme cases both but avoiding back-powering.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Moonmarch

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:08 pm

You can connect a micro USB to USB Female adapter to the Raspberry Pi Zero computer. If you use the micro USB to USB female adapter with the Raspberry Pi Zero computer. You will be able to use any USB hub that uses the standard USB connector. Here is a link to a 3 pack of micro USB to USB female adapters:

(3-pack) Premium Micro-USB Male to USB 2.0 Female Host OTG Adapter Cable - NEW
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-pack-Premium ... 0677.m4598

If you are using a USB hub with the Raspberry Pi Zero computer, use a 5V/2A or 5V/2.5A power supply. If you are using a 4 port USB hub with the Raspberry Pi Zero computer. I would recommend using only 2 USB ports at at time. If the USB hub includes a external power adapter. You would be able to use all 4 ports with the Raspberry Pi Zero. If a USB peripheral is malfunctioning on the Raspberry Pi Zero computer. This means the USB hub is not providing enough power to the USB peripheral.

pidd

Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:13 am

Moonmarch wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:08 pm
You can connect a micro USB to USB Female adapter to the Raspberry Pi Zero computer. If you use the micro USB to USB female adapter with the Raspberry Pi Zero computer. You will be able to use any USB hub that uses the standard USB connector. Here is a link to a 3 pack of micro USB to USB female adapters:
That is the problem, not all USB hubs work with the Zero nor the 4 (I don't know about other Pis), generally the powered hubs are ok whether you power them or not but the odds of an un-powered hub working are far less. Needless to say all the hubs I have here don't work with the Zero yet they work fine with both my PC and another Linux machine.

HawaiianPi

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 am

pidd wrote:
That is the problem, not all USB hubs work with the Zero...
That hasn't been my experience. Most USB 2.0 hubs I've tried work with any Pi model, including the Pi Zero.

Problems with the Pi Zero are usually caused by the adapters needed to fit standard connections. Using better adapters, or eliminating them altogether fixes problems with most hubs. For example, that Monoprice hub without power was flaky at best. A mini-USB to micro-USB cable eliminated the USB-A adapter and fixed it. It worked great as a passive hub on the Pi Zero with that mini<>micro cable.

With power that hub worked, regardless of adapters, but it doesn't include a power supply, and a 2nd one I purchased doesn't seem to work with power (likely defective, but it still works as a passive hub with the mini<>micro cable).

I have several other powered USB 2.0 hubs, and those all work fine. Passive hubs can be problematic on any system.

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:00 pm
Remember that back-powering a Pi0 is permitted, since the USB power pins are not controlled.
So maybe it's even useful, if the hub can supply enough power, as long as you don't try to connect another PSU.
It just depends on whether it's more convenient to power the Pi, the hub, or in extreme cases both but avoiding back-powering.
Yup, that works, I've done it (with the Monoprice hub mentioned above, in fact).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

chillycichlid

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:44 am

Hello.

I'm new here and no Pi guru, or at least not yet, but I have discovered that this item from Amazon worked very well with my Pi zero:

https://www.amazon.com/MakerSpot-Access ... 057&sr=8-2

The seller is MakerSpot. I got it for under $6 US. It is unpowered. It is being sold on Amazon UK unfortunately it is not so inexpensive there- it has been heavily marked up by a reseller.

pidd

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:12 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
pidd wrote:
That hasn't been my experience. Most USB 2.0 hubs I've tried work with any Pi model, including the Pi Zero.
Probably most of them work these days, but I'm a recycler (posh word for many other more derogatory terms) , I don't chuck anything out so a lot of kit I have is older than half the people on this forum. Everybody dumps their computer stuff on me, not many people have six PCs in their bathroom because they've run out of space elsewhere.

You should see the speed my ancient SD card writer works at, I need to get another of them while I'm at it.

I don't mind buying anything I need but it hacks me off when I purchase something that is useless, so I tend to hold off until I'm desperate.

Anyway, I threw a dart at the dartboard to decide which one I purchased, if it works ok I'll put it in this thread, if it doesn't it will be embedded in a wall somewhere.

Thanks to all for their input!

hippy

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:32 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
pidd wrote:
I'm with pidd; none of my non-powered 2.0 hubs have worked with my Zero W's and I've got quite a few different types, all admittedly cheap and generic, but fine on other Pi and PC

My theory is it's because, on the Zeroes, it's a host/client port and the hub being powered up with the Pi causes some kind of 'bad state' which stops things working. One can see similar situations when using the Zeroes in gadget mode.

So, works or doesn't, probably comes down to chip set. And I've been very unlucky.

wh7qq

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:46 pm

Look at the zero4u hub. 4 USB ports that mount under the RPi zero. From UUGear.com. 4 USB-A ports and less than $10 US. I have one and it works well, has exactly the same footprint as the zero and does not interfere with access to the GPIO pins. I use with a zero sized hat on top and the zero4u on the bottom of a 3 board sandwich.

HawaiianPi

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:05 am

hippy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:32 pm
I'm with pidd; none of my non-powered 2.0 hubs have worked with my Zero W's and I've got quite a few different types, all admittedly cheap and generic, but fine on other Pi and PC
Interesting that we've had such different experiences. I have several older 2.0 hubs as well, and like I said, the few problems I've had were due to adapters or power.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's a quick demo I cobbled together with my Monoprice hub and Pi0W. The hub has a USB-DAC and a 128GB flash drive with music on it. I'm using MOC (Music On Console) to play music and control the Pi0W (via SSH). Notice there is no power cord to the Pi0W ... it's being back-powered by the hub.
Pi0W_MonopriceHub_USB-DAC_back-powered.jpg
Pi0W_MonopriceHub_USB-DAC_back-powered.jpg (39.7 KiB) Viewed 415 times

Of course I could simplify this considerably by copying music to the SD card and streaming it to my Bluetooth speakers, but that would be a boring picture (just a Pi0W). ;)
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

hippy

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:31 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:05 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm with you on that. It definitely seems the textbook case of "YMMV", luck of the draw.

It would be nice to know why some hubs don't work, but I suspect it's not fixable if we did, would only confirm 'use a hub which works'.

clicky

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:21 pm

If we are talking about UK - last time I've been buying (really!) cheap USB hubs was from Poundland! LOL And I think they worked quite well with original Pi 1... Not sure if they have them still. Best part was that they weren't that ugly (and were quite compact, too!).

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:30 pm

FWIW, Over the years I've acquired quite a few unpowered and, not quite so many, powered hubs and, w.r.t. the latter, checked for back-powering etc. A few have been used with Pi Zero's or A's. A summary table is here: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... Dlist.html
follow the links therein for more info., pictures etc.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Return to “General discussion”