Kikkiu

Can I use a free VPN service for Raspberry Pi?

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:01 am

Hello,
can I use a free VPN service for Raspberry Pi?

I'm trying to hide my real IP from others, because I'm running a Minecraft server on my RPi (it's public, and whoever is watching my streams on Twitch can join), so I don't want that people know my position or potentially DDoS me. Is there a way to use, say, Hotspot Shield VPN on my Raspberry Pi? I need VPNs with relatively large daily traffic available for free.

Thanks in advance.

Heater

Re: Can I use a free VPN service for Raspberry Pi?

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:07 am

Do not trust a VPN.

Especially free ones that belong to God knows who. They are a security disaster. For example see recent news of the UFO VPN and others. https://www.techradar.com/news/these-no ... en-exposed.

Perhaps fittingly all of UFO VPN's database was deleted today by the so called Meow Attack: https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... ow-attack/
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

bassamanator

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:33 am

Kikkiu wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to hide my real IP from others, because I'm running a Minecraft server on my RPi (it's public, and whoever is watching my streams on Twitch can join), so I don't want that people know my position or potentially DDoS me. Is there a way to use, say, Hotspot Shield VPN on my Raspberry Pi? I need VPNs with relatively large daily traffic available for free.

Thanks in advance.
@Heater read what he said. He's just trying to hide from his twitch stream

Yes op, you can use a free vpn worry. I've used proton vpn in the past on my rpi and it works just fine.
| Raspberry Pi 4-8GB | 2.0GHz | over_voltage@5 |
| Raspberry Pi OS 32bit |
| https://github.com/bassamanator/raspberrypi-scripts |

Kikkiu

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:39 pm

bassamanator wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:33 am
Kikkiu wrote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
@Heater read what he said. He's just trying to hide from his twitch stream

Yes op, you can use a free vpn worry. I've used proton vpn in the past on my rpi and it works just fine.
Thanks for the information. But I'm asking one thing: I installed ProtonVPN on my RPi and connected to the nearest server near me (NE#5). The issue is that I can't connect to the server with the new IP, I didn't really understand how it works. Do I have to try to connect to the server by putting the port after the new VPN IP? For example, x.xx.xx.xxx:25565

WillBoxOwO

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:05 pm

You need a vpn that's open on port 25565, which is kinda hard to find! So you might want to use a service like hamachi.
I like cats

Kikkiu

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:34 pm

WillBoxOwO wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:05 pm
You need a vpn that's open on port 25565, which is kinda hard to find! So you might want to use a service like hamachi.
Do you know any VPNs that have that port open? I can't use Hamachi, because my followers need to install it too.

trejan

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:43 pm

I highly doubt there is any free VPN that doesn't need a special client, has a large daily bandwidth allowance, allows incoming connections, doesn't snoop, doesn't use you as an endpoint for other people and has good speed. If you're likely to get DDoSed then it is even more unlikely anybody would want to deal with you if you're not paying.

If you're serious about this then it is very likely you'll need to get the wallet out and pay for Minecraft hosting that has DDoS mitigation.

This is all very offtopic for here so you should ask on the Minecraft forum as they'll be more knowledgeable about what options you have.

Kikkiu

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:23 pm

trejan wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:43 pm
I highly doubt there is any free VPN that doesn't need a special client, has a large daily bandwidth allowance, allows incoming connections, doesn't snoop, doesn't use you as an endpoint for other people and has good speed. If you're likely to get DDoSed then it is even more unlikely anybody would want to deal with you if you're not paying.

If you're serious about this then it is very likely you'll need to get the wallet out and pay for Minecraft hosting that has DDoS mitigation.

This is all very offtopic for here so you should ask on the Minecraft forum as they'll be more knowledgeable about what options you have.
Okay. Thanks everyone for the help!

Return to “General discussion”