dh499

raspberry does't connect to the windows laptop anymore

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:50 pm

I used ethernet and hdmi cord to connect my pi to my laptop. I downloaded putty and xming and advanced IP scanner. I followed through this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrvB0VVMynM
and it worked for 2 days. I also downloaded the real vnc viewer to view the raspbian desktop on my laptop. it worked for 2 days, but today when I tried to do the same thing with putty, it says connection timed out. I checked that all the cords are connected normally. I even redownloaded raspbian onto my sd card and redownloaded putty and everything. It still doesn't work. what should I do? I am really new to this.

dh499

Re: raspberry does't connect to the windows laptop anymore

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:10 am

i'm crying... i have been trying to figure it out for 7 hours

jbudd

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:38 am

The tutorial you watched seems very confusing, I couldn't follow what he is doing. But anyway it is out of date since it refers to Raspbian Stretch, SDCardFormatter and Win32DiskImager, which are no longer required to set up your Pi.

I don't know what you hope to gain by connecting an HDMI cable between your Pi and PC but I very much doubt if it does anything useful since the HDMI ports on both devices will be output only.
It is possible to connect to a PC using an ethernet cable, but you have to specify the IP address for both devices and I don't know how to do that for a Pi without monitor & keyboard.

I find that the simplest way to setup a new Pi without a monitor or keyboard is WiFi, if you have it.
Use Etcher or Raspberry Pi Imager to write the image to the SD card. Don't format the card.

You can put a file wpa_supplicant.conf in the boot folder on the SD card containing:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
        ssid="Your Wifi SSID"
        psk="Your Password"
}
You can use another country code than GB but make sure it's a valid one.
At the same time make a file ssh.txt in the same folder. It can be empty. This is important! You cannot connect without enabling ssh.

When you boot the Pi it should connect to your WiFi. You can find it's IP address with Advanced IP Scanner or by looking at the router's admin pages.

If you have a router but no WiFi, don't bother with wpa_supplicant.conf but you do need ssh.txt. Connect the Pi to the router with an ethernet cable and find it's IP address.

Now you can connect by Putty or whatever SSH or VNC client you like. Personally I use ssh pi@IPAddress in MobaXterm.

bassamanator

Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:36 am

@dh499

Maybe the IP address of the rpi has changed. Are you able to ping it? Goto command prompt or powershell in windows and try to 'ping rpi.address' the rpi.
| Raspberry Pi 4-8GB | 2.0GHz | over_voltage@5 |
| Raspberry Pi OS 32bit |
| https://github.com/bassamanator/raspberrypi-scripts |

pidd

Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:53 am

In the video he said he connected the hdmi cable to a monitor.

Return to “General discussion”