geffers

VNC Doesn't show KODI

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:50 am

Folks,

I have a number of Pi devices running including a KODI image device connected to a TV

Wanting to experiment with something I installed a full version of Feb 2020 image Buster onto a Pi3 B+, enabled ssh and VNC for remote access and connected to my TV using HDMI

Installed KODI onto this device and if using my VNC connection I open KODI the KODI interface shows on my TV but not on my VNC connection.

I know VNC was never really successful or implemented on the KODI image but not sure why it doesn't show up on a Buster implementation.

Geoff

DougieLawson

Re: VNC Doesn't show KODI

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:02 am

It works on my 3B with RealVNC if I activate the special framebuffer handling.

https://help.realvnc.com/hc/en-us/artic ... motely-0-2
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

bjtheone

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:06 pm

I believe the issue is that Kodi writes directly to the display rather than through X. That is why you cannot run KODI in a window and get the slight delay when exiting Kodi back to XServer managed windows. I suspect Kodi does this to gain some performance advantage.

I also suspect that if you are trying to run a KODI session over VNC it is not going to be particularly smooth.

Edited: Corrected terminology
Last edited by bjtheone on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rascas

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:34 pm

On the Raspberry Pies up to 3B+, Kodi works through VNC if you use RealVNC like Dougie explained.
It is on the RPi 4 that it currently doesn't work.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:44 pm

bjtheone wrote:
I believe the issue is that Kodi writes directly to the frame buffer rather than allowing X to manage the display. That is why you cannot run KODI in a window and get the slight delay when exiting Kodi back to XServer managed windows. I suspect Kodi does this to gain some performance advantage.

I also suspect that if you are trying to run a KODI session over VNC it is not going to be particularly smooth.
It's a massive performance increase to be able to write directly to the display output (note, not frame buffer - the system doesn't work like that))as Kodi does in full screen mode. Otherwise there are multiple framebuffer copies and scales to be done, which loads the CPU and the SDRAM bandwidth.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

geffers

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:04 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:02 am
It works on my 3B with RealVNC if I activate the special framebuffer handling.

https://help.realvnc.com/hc/en-us/artic ... motely-0-2
Thank you, will check that out.

geffers

geffers

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:07 pm

bjtheone wrote:

Edited: Corrected terminology
Wasn't intended to watch any videos, merely ability to control KODI interface but think I can do that via the KODI http facility.

Actually, not a major issue as when KODI comes up on my TV my TV remote actually works fine.

Geffers

Return to “General discussion”