cyrano

Where to put scam warnings?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:46 pm

What part of the forum can I use to warn other users of scams?

After talking to a number of friends about the Pi, some placed orders with a number of resellers. Some did even receive what they ordered.

But I'm already regretting talking about the Pi. Two of them ordered a basic kit. In both cases a Pi + PSU + cable + case for approx. 72 euro. No mention of shipping costs while ordering. The parcel arrived in just over a week, hours before the order confirmation mail.

The confirmation mail comes from the site where they placed their order. It states that only the Pi and cable have been shipped. No word if the rest of the order is kept in backorder.

Next, a payment confirmation comes for the entire amount, but it states payment is for the Pi and shipping. And again, only an email, despite the fact that it says "You can call us during office hours". But NO phone number, not in the mail, nor on the site. But the site does state "official raspberry pi dealer"...

The site also states "Customer service 7 days a week", which is clearly a lie. And "Return your items and get your money back - See our terms & conditions", without a link to those "terms & conditions". Same for "Our Privacy Policy".

I still hope this is typical haste work, so I don't post the domains involved. Mail has been sent, but not answered for 24 hours.

RaTTuS

Re: Where to put scam warnings?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:05 pm

post the names of the companies - the only way we can help
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 pm

If it is the one I think it is (I found one phrase you quoted, but I assume you are translating the French or Dutch yourself.) then there is a terms and conditions page. It is accessible from the grey bar above the orange box at the bottom of the home page. That page gives the address and telephone number too.

Does that sound like the site you are complaining about? If not then that site may have been copied for scam purposes. If it is the site then you should phone them, and if that fails contact Farnell/Element14, because the site says they are affiliated. If that is true then Farnell may be able to help you, if it isn't then I imagine they will want to prosecute it.

Also note that it is only January 2nd. Many companies have only returned to work today after the Christmas holidays. So your email would have arrived during what I imagine is a public holiday -- it certainly was here.

Something suspicious there though... Even if I select French or Nederlands as the language, most of the page stays in English. Seems odd for a company based in the Netherlands. On the other hand one of the few things I know about the Netherlands is that most of them speak excellent English. *shrug*

cyrano

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:18 pm

rurwin wrote:If it is the one I think it is...
It is. Thanks for the link. I just sent the phone number to the people who should call them. Wait and see...
RaTTuS wrote:post the names of the companies - the only way we can help
I'll wait a bit and see how the response is. Unfortunately, both paid with pp and have already filled in a pp claims form.

cyrano

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Maybe they should stick to dutch:
Additional or different provisions of these terms should not disadvantage the consumer and should be recorded in writing or in such a way that the consumer in an accessible manner can be stored on a durable medium.
:D

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:33 pm

:lol:

cyrano

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm

A reply came stating that we should have gotten an automated email because not all items were available. No excuses, just "you 'll get another package". No word about costs...

serano

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

I just ordered with the same company yesterday.
I've received 3 e-mails from them also telling me my order is ready to ship.

I've also received a Track and trace mail sent from cargooffice.com. The track-and-trace-link in the e-mail doesn't work (DHL). I entered the number in manually but that didn't help either.

So that lead me into further investigating cargooffice.com, which leads to a website on another domain which is http://www.maerskintermodal.com/.

I hope I'm just getting paranoid over getting a Raspi and everything works out fine. But this thread starts to scare me.

cyrano

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 am

Don't get scared.

Everything seems legit.

It's just a couple of people eager to make money. I reckon they haven't set up things properly. First sales, then service seems to be the motto. And they are using several domains, because they seem to peddle an awful lot of other things too. Not just Raspberries. The owner even works for Farnell. He's just juggling 5 or even 6 jobs. And his son should follow up, but he seems busy too. It's just bad service. I don't understand how a business the size of Farnell doesn't choose their partners in a more responsible fashion, cause they redirect every non-business customer to these beginners.

Anyhow, I'm following up.

PaulCheffus

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 am

serano wrote:I just ordered with the same company yesterday.
I've received 3 e-mails from them also telling me my order is ready to ship.

I've also received a Track and trace mail sent from cargooffice.com. The track-and-trace-link in the e-mail doesn't work (DHL). I entered the number in manually but that didn't help either.

So that lead me into further investigating cargooffice.com, which leads to a website on another domain which is http://www.maerskintermodal.com/.

I hope I'm just getting paranoid over getting a Raspi and everything works out fine. But this thread starts to scare me.
Hi

I've often found that although you might have been given a tracking number by your supplier the package may not have been collected by the carrier so they don't actually have any details of it.

If it doesn't appear after 24 hours on the carrier tracking system then there might be an issue.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

serano

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks for the infos.

I suspected that could be the reason why the t&t# was not working when I tried it. I'm not really that scared or worried about it, I'm just too eager to get my hands on a Pi that's all :)

serano

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Little update: I've tried contacting them, but my e-mails remain unresponded. Also after 5 days, the track and trace is still not working and DHL gives me the error does not exist.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 pm

I've had that until twelve hours after the parcel arrived. Not in itself a worry... on the other hand, it's obviously arrived yet and time is passing.

serano

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Update: They delivered :)

cyrano

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:15 am

Finally, another mail arrived, stating the remainder of the order has been sent. I suppose that will arrive any day now.

So everything seems okay, besides some unclear communications.

cyrano

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:11 pm

And it seems it's still the same problem...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 23&t=45997

Return to “General discussion”