BjarkeHedegaard

Re: Perfect Case for everyone born in the 80's ;)

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:28 am

Seems like a really good idea with the GamePi!

May just go and buy my first ever GameBoy just to do this project! Personally I'm thinking og using some bluetooth UI with my Android phone, as using the 4 available buttons seems inadequate.

Battery wise I'd say the best thing to do would be to go for some lithium batteries for phones. The GameBoy would prolly fit quite a few, adding up to something like 1500-1800 mAh

Redrobes

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:15 am

Wouldn't it be so cool to have a RasPi in an old ZX81 case & authentic PSU ? You even get a keyboard with it...

Quake on a ZX81... LOL

ToastyTwo

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:46 pm

@ BjarkeHedegaard

Its never too late to get an old fashioned Gameboy and mod the hell out of it !!!

Sadly, my plans to make it portable are on ice right now.

Too many ideas and too restricted space…

But i'll see when I finally get my hands full of pi…

Deathevn

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 am

ToastyTwo said:

This looks quite promising! Would be nice, if we could keep this thread updated, once we finally start soldering together our "GameBerry". Just to share some Ideas and help each other with Gameboy specific obstacles like rewiring the Buttons, On-Off switch, the LED etc.

Have no clue about the Pi"s dual display capabilities, maybe someone like Gert could help us out with his firsthand knowledge!

We should definitely put our ideas together. Would be great to have a little community around the GameBerry I'm also looking around for some light cables to get the leds of RasPI out of the case

ToastyTwo

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Light cables, like fiber-optic? thought about soldering a pair of cables to the contacts of the onboard leds... how would it work with optical cables?

Deathevn

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm

ToastyTwo said:

Light cables, like fiber-optic? thought about soldering a pair of cables to the contacts of the onboard leds... how would it work with optical cables?

Sorry, I looked up the English word for the German word "Lichtleiter". I meant something like this: http://www.brose-electronic.de.....i_Lic.html

MorgUK

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:15 am

I really want to do this, any updates? Do you think it could go in a gameboy pocket?

Rava

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:54 am

My teen years have been the 1980th, buts still... no 80s case idea comes to mind. I think I will try it with some retro mod casing, as in: wood and brass aka "steampunk" xD

MetabolicCloth

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:37 am

i have to say i love this idea i have so many ideas for what i can do with this. my linux skills are minimal but as far as hardware i was thinking getting panel mount Ethernet and hdmi. i would hook up the sd card slot with the gameboy cartridge slot then id take out the stuff in different games and put different sd cards in them wire it up so i can have multiple  games(or different linux distros) i can interchange. im so excited for this mod. cant wait for raspberrypi!

ToastyTwo

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:23 am

Hi everyone,

time has passed, still no Pie on my hands…

Sad as I am, I needed a distraction and started screwing around with some old school Nintendo gadgets I found in my drawer.

A few days ago I finished a truly matching remote control for my GamePie:

here are some pics from building:

Any guesses so far…?

No?

OK:

I just rewired a Zeemote (a small, Bluetooth enabled controller, meant for mobile gaming) with one of my old NES pads.

Its working like a charm and there are drivers for Linux

Wanna replace the batteries with rechargeable ones, if I can clear up some space to squeeze in a AAA Usb charger.

Here"s a little test run on my mobile:

Sure, It"s a little OT, but

THESE THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU WITHOUT PIE

And until the first one arrives, a nice pair of wireless Snes Controllers for some heavy old school gaming (Mario Kart!) are in the works…

@MorgUK

Sorry for responding so late. I don"t think that a GB Pocket will work. I just opened one and there"s really little space in there. Mainly because of the risers for the the lower screws (under the battery cover). Here"s a page with some nice pictures of a opened GB Pocket:

http://mikejmoffitt.com/tut/tu.....ight1.html

treczoks

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:33 am

ToastyTwo said:

Amazing that 4 AA Cells will power up the Pi, right? Would be great to go green and use rechargeable AA"s.

Ah, careful, young padawan! The non-rechargeables habe 1.5V, the rechargeables only 1.2V! So 4x1.5V gives 6V (which can nicely be regulated down, but would give some extra heat until the current drops), but 4x1.2V = 4.8V might just a bit to small. This might work, at least at the beginning, but the current drops, so it might soon lead to brownouts, too.

Christian

ToastyTwo

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:23 am

I lack of Pie I was writing about using rechargeables in my NES Remote.

The GamePie will be non portable because of space problems and, at least for now, no Idea which full featured screen to use. ATM I have a very cheap 2.6" LCD4Linux screen, which runs on a usb port and is only capable of showing some stats like temp, cpu & I/O usage. But thanks for the heads up!

(EDIT)

Just realized that "Pie" doesn't equal "PI"…

These two really got me!

CerdoBlanco

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Hey, i've been wondering if someone else is that nerdy to put a RPi into a Game Boy. And "tadaa", here you are.

My thoughts about this so far:

I'd really like to use all the existing buttons etc. to control the RPi. It should be possible to use the directional pad as mouse, A/B as klick-buttons and the on/off-switch as itself.

I don't know what to do with "start" and "select"… maybe "tab" and "enter".

The main things I want to is using the "Game Boy RasPIc" as (drum roll) "Game Boy" using the VisualBoyAdvance.

In addition there could be an wireless keyboard like this:

Unfortunately it's more expensive than the RPi is… just a thought.

edit: the keyboard is e.g. found here (german)

Return to “General discussion”