ToastyTwo

Re: Perfect Case for everyone born in the 80's ;)

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:16 am

Hi everybody,

here"s my idea for a RasPi Case:

Would also offer enough space for a powered USB-Hub for BT, Wifi etc.

My plan is to reuse the face buttons to navigate a GUI, rewire the audio & powerjack + the original powerswitch and maybe use one of those little digital photoframes as a basic usb display via lcd4linux if i can figure it out (Linux beginner )

If it works out well, maybe we can use the battery compartment and go fully portable!?

After building my Atom based NES-PC a few years ago it was the first thing that crossed my mind when i was reading about this crazy little thing called RasPi.

What are your thoughts?

cheerfully, toastytwo

PotatoHandle

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 am

I wish, beyond all wishes that I was smart enough to do something like that, haha. Great idea!

mole125

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:22 am

When I saw the title I was wondering what it could be, but you've got it bang on - knew I shouldn't have chucked out my old game boy years ago

BigM

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 am

Real nice idea. Maybe theres a possibility to use the display for console output.

If I remember the battery supply of this old-school-gameboy right it fits exactly to the FAQ:

Can I run power Raspberry Pi from batteries as well as from a wall socket?

Yes. The device should run well off 4 x AA cells.

tr3

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 am

hmmm, still got it somewhere at my parent's home

not sure if I want to destroy my good old GameBoy though =/

o19

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 am

This actually was he first thing, that popped into my mind, too. Unfortunately I don't have one and have no idea about all the hardware stuff. But I could think of contributing with a T9 like system for text input via +, A and B. That would leave Select and Start as possible modifiers or for switching between text and navigation mode...

Maybe it might also be possible to include a small charger for rechargeable cells to have a fully self contained portable device. But as I said before hardware is (up to now) none of my business,

mrbill

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 am

80's?  70's and 60's too!

My Gameboy still works - and my kids have taken a liking to retro gaming, so I don't think i'll be dismantling mine any time soon

scep

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:59 am

Ideal for programming in machine code

o19

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 am

scep said:

Ideal for programming in machine code

Well said.

ToastyTwo

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi and thanks for your answers!

Amazing that 4 AA Cells will power up the Pi, right? Would be great to go green and use rechargeable AA"s.

I already put some thought into the wiring: The audio and power jack + switch should be no problem.

For the buttons I wanna use the PCB from a small Usb gamepad and retrace it to the original GB board.

A headnut is the internal LCD. I've read like every thread about using a small Display with the Pi and someone mentionened this:

Digital Photoframe as Dockstar Status Display (german)

Don"t know how limited the use of those Displays will be, but I ordered one, as its only 2,90€ and nearly perfect sized (2.4" compared to 2.6" original Gameboy LCD)

What"s really bothering me is not the hardware, it"s my lack in Linux skills.

Any help getting this all up & running would be really appreciated.

byebye, toastytwo

RaTTuS

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:44 pm

4 aaa's will do it - but it will not last very long.

look at some of the other threads about powing it from batteries or solar
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

SneakerMonkey

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:48 pm

thats to this I've spent most of my day at work looking at Nintendo NES's on eBay - damn you all!

between that and playing on Lego Designer its a shokc anything gets done lol

ToastyTwo

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Wanna put -one- Pi into a NES?

There is enough space to fit a whole cluster of Pi"s in it! That would truly be a MIGHTY NES !!!

@RaTTuS

Yeah, i don"t know if fully portable is the way to go, maybe the Displays abilities are just too limited and the AA"s could have a hard time powering the Pi+Display+anything connected via USB internally.

But I wanna try some Emulation on it and it would be nice to squeeze some "poop-time" out of the Cells before switching back to the big screen >_<

Just an idea!

Method

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 pm

I'd rather put mine in an Sega Master System

ToastyTwo

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:41 pm

If this is the machine you're connecting real childhood memories to,

GO FOR IT!

I like the controller ports looking like good ol' serial!

Retroman

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:08 pm

I"m working on a RaspiBoy(my name for my Game Boy RasPi computer) myself. I"ve got the case from a Game Boy all ready to go.

Once I get the real Raspberry Pi I can get my dremel and get to work on the internals and start testing some of the screens I have on the DSI connectors on the RasPi.

Link to my project on Retrovia:

Retrovia

SirGallivant

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh, I hope I haven't progressed too much on my big clearance project and actually chucked the defunct case.....

Retroman

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:41 pm

You can pick them up on ebay for very cheap. You don't need a working one, just the case really so do a search for one that's broken(loads of them have dodgy screens). They pop up all the time.

The one I'm using was actually free. I bought it from a guy and the screen was a bit dodgy so he sent me a new one and said keep the broken one.

Paul Webster

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Rather than RaspiBoy ... how about GamePi?

Retroman

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Paul Webster said:

Rather than RaspiBoy ... how about GamePi?

I like it

But I wanted to include the raspberry name in it so went with RaspiBoy.

JoeDaStudd

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 am

This just gave be an awesome idea.

Shell out an old NES casehook up hdmi, usb and power connections then have the Raspberry Pi inside a NES cartridge (should just about fit).

Insert your choice of R-Pi cartridge (different distro's or projects), hit the power button and bam you have a RES (RaspberryPi Education/Entertainment System).

I'm just wishing I never through my old NES and Sega Master Systems out.

Deathevn

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi together,

at first, sorry for my bad English, I'm from Germany

I'm in love with the idea to put the RPI in a good old Game Boy. But there's a question in my mind I wasn't able to answer. Searching the forum and the wiki didn't help =/ Is it possible to have an output on the DSI display and the HDMI display at the same time? I know it isn't possible to use the HDMI and the Cinch port at the same time.

If it isn't possible:

The HDMI port will be the primary port, as I understood everything right. Thus, if the HDMI display is switched on, the DSI display will be swithed off and vice versa?

Beyond this question I was thinking about a proper use of the buttons, d-pad and the cartridge.

Switching between the displays could be one thing.

But do you have something more in mind?

Greetings

Deathevn

ToastyTwo

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:32 pm

This looks quite promising! Would be nice, if we could keep this thread updated, once we finally start soldering together our "GameBerry". Just to share some Ideas and help each other with Gameboy specific obstacles like rewiring the Buttons, On-Off switch, the LED etc.

Have no clue about the Pi's dual display capabilities, maybe someone like Gert could help us out with his firsthand knowledge!

@Retroman

How do you plan to fit in the I/O's like HDMI/USB/Ethernet?

I wanna place them in the now useless openings like contrast/volume or gamelink, but I think I will have to use short extension cables to reach them. I wish I had your modelling skills, the 3D Models must be perfect to tinker around with the placement!

Greets, toastytwo

Retroman

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Not sure yet about the I/O's. I may use mini extensions like you say or might just make new openings with a dremel. I can make rubber plugs for the old holes out of Sugru if i want to block them or make up something with my MakerBot Replicator when it arrives next month.

As for the models, you can get them online and just import them into whatever 3D app you use. But it's important to get the specs for the Game Boy and change the dimensions of the model to match as none of the models I found were correct and I didn't have time to create one from scratch. If the dimensions aren't correct then its pointless to do any work in any 3D app.

I used Google Sketchup Pro for the animation I made but am using a more professional application for the real modelling.

Edit:

Just a note to mention I'll be tracking my progress in the mod and repair section of Retrovia if anyone wants to keep an eye on it or contribute any thoughts on anything.

Retrovia:

http://bit.ly/RasPiBoy

ToastyTwo

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:09 pm

MakerBot...? Now you've made me jealous...

Return to “General discussion”