richiepp

Copy and Paste not working in Putty

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:03 pm

Hey All.
I've been playing with Raspberry Pi for years and recently got a version 4 to run as a desktop. I'm transitioning from a Windows machine and have most of my staple programs working on the Pi however I'm having trouble with Putty.

Copy and pasting is super easy in Putty on a windows machine, you highlight text to copy and right click to paste. However it seems that this feature doesn't work on Buster. I've looked for solutions but have come up short.

How can I copy and paste in Putty running on Buster?

Thanks
Rich

bjtheone

Re: Copy and Paste not working in Putty

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Not a Putty user but I would try:

With the mouse left-click, hold, and drag cursor to select+copy text to clipboard. Paste with center mouse wheel/button.

Personally I would just switch to ssh, but I don't have a lot of Windows boxes to deal with.

richiepp

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Awesome! That was it!

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:06 pm

Be aware that the general model of the clipboard in X is different - quite a bit more complex - than it is under Windows.

It takes some getting used to, but is pretty cool once you figure it all out.

Basically, there are 3 clipboards - called Primary, Secondary, and Clipboard. Which one gets pasted when you invoke a "paste" operation is somewhat fuzzy.

A useful thing to do is to install the package called "xsel", then you can do the following commands to see what is in each of the 3 clipboards:

$ xsel
(displays primary)
$ xsel -s
(displays secondary)
$ xsel -b
(displays clipboard)

Yes, it is confusing that one of the clipboards is called "clipboard".

And, yes, I know that technically these things are called "cut buffers" or something like that, but I just call them clipboards.

Finally, each of the above commands can be given the "-i" option to put text onto the clipboard. For example:

$ ls | xsel -ib

will put the output of the ls command into the clipboard clipboard.

And so it goes from there...
GitD's list of things that are not ready for prime time:
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3
4) Bluetooth

dustnbone

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:33 pm

In comparison to some of the graphical SSH clients available for Linux, Putty is kind of a piece of crap.

Even just running ssh in an lxterminal session I find to be way more productive than Putty.

Heater

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:50 am

Putty is just awful.

It might have been necessary back in the days of the "DOS box" command line of Windows, which is also awful.

Today I install the Windows Subsystem for Linux with a Debian user land running inside it. Then I can ssh from a real command line shell on Windows. So much nicer.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

GlowInTheDark

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:07 am

All of which is pretty much irrelevant to the OP, who has made it clear, that whether you like it not, HE wants PuTTY.

I agree that the Linux version of it is pretty weird, but we're not the OP.
GitD's list of things that are not ready for prime time:
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3
4) Bluetooth

Return to “General discussion”