raspberry_user

Fan or heatsink to use Pi4 with a 3D printer in a closed enclosure

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi, I am building a sealed enclosure for a 3D printer that has only one exhausted fan. As you can imagine, it is very hot inside the enclosure. Should I get a fan or heatsink or both for the Pi 4. Which product do you recommend?

bjtheone

Re: Fan or heatsink to use Pi4 with a 3D printer in a closed enclosure

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Assuming the enclosure is to stabilize print temperature and possibly cut down on noise, just how hot are we talking about. The Pi will thermally protect it self so you don't have to worry about damaging it. However, I suspect you don't want it shutting down mid print.

Certainly a fan will help, but you are obviously going to be limited to whatever the localized air temps are. Any possibility of keeping the Pi outside the enclosure?

jahboater

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:38 pm

bjtheone wrote:
The Pi will thermally protect it self so you don't have to worry about damaging it. However, I suspect you don't want it shutting down mid print.
The Pi will not shut down completely as far as I know.
In the extreme it will drop down to 600MHz and reduce the core voltage.
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64 Lite

raspberry_user

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:01 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Assuming the enclosure is to stabilize print temperature and possibly cut down on noise, just how hot are we talking about. The Pi will thermally protect it self so you don't have to worry about damaging it. However, I suspect you don't want it shutting down mid print.

Certainly a fan will help, but you are obviously going to be limited to whatever the localized air temps are. Any possibility of keeping the Pi outside the enclosure?
I heard that the filament melt when the nozzle is about 260c so it will be very hot inside the enclosure.

If putting it outside, should I get a heatsink or fan or a combination of both?

pfletch101

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:23 pm

raspberry_user wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:01 pm
bjtheone wrote:

I heard that the filament melt when the nozzle is about 260c so it will be very hot inside the enclosure.

If putting it outside, should I get a heatsink or fan or a combination of both?
If your Pi is outside the printer enclosure, you probably don't need a fan for it, and a heatsink will only help you/it if there is provision for airflow through whatever case or enclosure the Pi itself is in. I recommend putting Pi 4s in something like the Flirc case, which acts as a big heat sink and radiator, and avoids the problems of adding a fan (noise, additional power usage, and dust).
If your Pi is inside the printer enclosure, nothing you can do to the Pi will serve to keep its temperature below that of its immediate surroundings, and if these are above 70 deg C, the Pi will inevitably throttle. If its surroundings get much above that temperature, the Pi may not be happy!

scruss

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 pm

If you're building a "hotbox"-style enclosure for better print quality of high-temperature filaments, then the Raspberry Pi needs to go outside it. These enclosures often run over 100 °C and your Raspberry Pi would be immensely unhappy with that.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

LTolledo

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:07 pm

What is your desired operating temperature for the RPi4B?

knowing that will determine whether you need a fan or a heatsink or both, or another solution.

it's your project so you decide the parameters.
advise will be given based on that.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “General discussion”