Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Gnome For Pi

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Ever wanted a fancier desktop for the Raspberry Pi?

Maybe something like GNOME?

Well, lucky you, you came to the right project! Welcome to GNOME for Pi! A script that seeks to install and configure the GNOME desktop!

The best part: It's easy!

Source code on Github:

https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi

Want to do it manually?

Below is the forum post on how to do it...

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

This only works in Raspberry Pi OS Lite

To use the script:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi.git && cd gnomeforpi && sudo bash gnomeforpi-install
Animations work, but you can turn them off in 'tweaks'

For the best performance, I recommend switching the session (cogwheel) to "GNOME on Xorg"

And there you go. Raspberry Pi OS with GNOME!
Last edited by Giga_Pi on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:04 am

Bump
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 am

why are you bumping?
i suspect very few use gnome on there rpi4.
those that do can handle installing on there own.
i only install what i need & would never install the full gnome, just enough gnome to work.

anyways, right now for my rpi4 4gb i have grown fond of budgie.
a "lighdm budgie-desktop" install is bare bones & lets you select all your apps. of course just like gnome it has some quirks. you still have to do the "tsched=0" to fix pulse audio stutter & disable the dhcpd.service to get wifi. fix the sudo(polkit) verification so it don't ask for root password, etc...

but since your not confined to gnome apps, you can lighten the load. you can make it very light with "lxterminal, pcmanfm, mousepad" like raspbian but with a better overall gui.

this 1 i'm running now has "nemo, lxterminal, mousepad" for the main apps. nemo file manager is a fork of nautilus for cinnamon desktop. just trying it out.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 19-36-44.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 19-36-44.png (133.48 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 19-28-31.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 19-28-31.png (147.81 KiB) Viewed 1910 times

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:01 am

kerry_s wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 am
why are you bumping?
i suspect very few use gnome on there rpi4.
those that do can handle installing on there own.
i only install what i need & would never install the full gnome, just enough gnome to work.

anyways, right now for my rpi4 4gb i have grown fond of budgie.
a "lighdm budgie-desktop" install is bare bones & lets you select all your apps. of course just like gnome it has some quirks. you still have to do the "tsched=0" to fix pulse audio stutter & disable the dhcpd.service to get wifi. fix the sudo(polkit) verification so it don't ask for root password, etc...

but since your not confined to gnome apps, you can lighten the load. you can make it very light with "lxterminal, pcmanfm, mousepad" like raspbian but with a better overall gui.

this 1 i'm running now has "nemo, lxterminal, mousepad" for the main apps. nemo file manager is a fork of nautilus for cinnamon desktop. just trying it out.
Sorry for bump.

I wanted to make installing GNOME desktop easier, and then I made the script.


If you look at the source code, it does more than just install: It also does some configuring too.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 am

yeah, i did look at it.
you can trim it down.

Code: Select all

apt-get install -y xorg gnome gnome-shell
to just

Code: Select all

apt install -y gnome-shell
it will pull in the rest. including the "chrome-gnome-shell" so you don't have to add that.

i'd recommend installing chromium

Code: Select all

apt install -y rpi-chromium-mods
for this, it's just locked to pi. people might add other users.
cp localauthority.conf /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/60-localauthority.conf
i create "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf" with this.

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo
mind you, i already have a lot of the gnome stuff installed, so my list is short. but you get the jest of it.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 21-41-54.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 21-41-54.png (114.56 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:55 am

kerry_s wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 am
yeah, i did look at it.
you can trim it down.

Code: Select all

apt-get install -y xorg gnome gnome-shell
to just

Code: Select all

apt install -y gnome-shell
it will pull in the rest. including the "chrome-gnome-shell" so you don't have to add that.

i'd recommend installing chromium

Code: Select all

apt install -y rpi-chromium-mods
for this, it's just locked to pi. people might add other users.
cp localauthority.conf /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/60-localauthority.conf
i create "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf" with this.

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo
mind you, i already have a lot of the gnome stuff installed, so my list is short. but you get the jest of it.
Thanks, I've commited some of those changes. I also added some audio fixes as well.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:10 am

combine all the "apt -y install" lines, no need to do it many times.
example:
apt install -y gnome-shell rpi-chromium-mods

you can "touch" & "echo" the file 51-admin.conf in the script, there's no need for a separate file to copy(cp)

same thing for the fixes you can search & replace in a file to fix that /etc/pulse/default.pa
(line #47 in my editor)
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

anyways, i'm sure it'll be useful to somebody who's to new to dive in. :D
good luck.

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:18 am

kerry_s wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:10 am
combine all the "apt -y install" lines, no need to do it many times.
example:
apt install -y gnome-shell rpi-chromium-mods

you can "touch" & "echo" the file 51-admin.conf in the script, there's no need for a separate file to copy(cp)

same thing for the fixes you can search & replace in a file to fix that /etc/pulse/default.pa
(line #47 in my editor)
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

anyways, i'm sure it'll be useful to somebody who's to new to dive in. :D
good luck.
Thanks for your exceptional help once again!
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:33 pm

i owe you an apology my friend. seems like somethings changed and some recommends no longer gets pulled in.
here's what i used for a minimum gnome install. hope it helps ya out.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sudo apt update; sudo apt -y full-upgrade; sudo apt -y autoremove; sudo apt clean
sudo apt install -y gnome-session gnome-shell nautilus gedit gnome-terminal seahorse gnome-tweaks rpi-chromium-mods

sudo touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf
sudo sh -c 'echo "[Configuration]" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'
sudo sh -c 'echo "AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo;unix-group:admin" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'

sudo sed -i 's/load-module module-udev-detect/load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0/g' /etc/pulse/default.pa

sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service

sudo reboot

exit 0
[code]
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-06-20 03-28-12.resized.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-20 03-28-12.resized.png (153.88 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:38 pm

You will need to disable the animations yourself (working on it), and you'll also need to enable fakeKMS openGL driver in raspi-config, but everything else should be fine.
the command to disable animation is:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
kms is enabled by default so no need to worry about that.

also i was thinking, maybe add the "New File" in templates. i still can't understand why that has to be done manually. :?

Code: Select all

touch /home/pi/Templates/"New File"

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 am

looks like any settings for the user(pi) can't be made till after log in.
so:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
touch /home/pi/Templates/"New File"
this is useless in the script. :(
i'll look for a work around later.

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:31 am

kerry_s wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 am
looks like any settings for the user(pi) can't be made till after log in.
so:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
touch /home/pi/Templates/"New File"
this is useless in the script. :(
i'll look for a work around later.
Thanks. Sorry, I thought this thread had died long ago.

Ok. Time to review. I wondering how on earth they got desktopify to work for ubuntu. Looking at it soon.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:35 am

kerry_s wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 am
looks like any settings for the user(pi) can't be made till after log in.
so:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
touch /home/pi/Templates/"New File"
this is useless in the script. :(
i'll look for a work around later.
I'm just going to shoot this idea at you: Could create a script that does this on login, that then destroys itself?
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:50 am

they just using a bash script.
https://github.com/wimpysworld/desktopi ... desktopify

you can script a 1 time run script.

sorry under the weather today, eyes to blurry to see.

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:32 am

I've added an argument for GNOME with a limited amount of packages (-l/--lite)

I may have fixed audiio issues, but not sure.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier [BETA]

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:36 am

There is now a Beta and stable branch to Gnome For Pi
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:51 am

GNOME For Pi is now stable!

Everything now works out of the box by default!
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi

Wed May 26, 2021 10:53 am

You can now install GNOME on a full fat version of Raspberry Pi OS!

to do this, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi-full.git
cd gnomeforpi-full
sudo bash master
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi

Wed May 26, 2021 10:54 am

Giga_Pi wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:53 am
You can now install GNOME on a full fat version of Raspberry Pi OS!

to do this, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi-full.git
cd gnomeforpi-full
sudo bash master
Currently waiting for GNOME For Pi to be verified for Pi-apps. Keep your eyes open for that change.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

User avatar
craigevil
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:22 am
Location: OZ

Re: Gnome For Pi

Wed May 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Just curious, but what is so difficult about doing one of the following:
sudo apt install gnome
sudo apt install gnome-core (gnome lite)
sudo apt install task-gnome-desktop

All of the tools to install any of the Desktop Environments including Gnome are already available.
Why reinvent the wheel?
Raspberry PI 400 Raspberry Pi OS (Unstable) Kernel: 5.10.17-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

bjtheone
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
Location: The Frozen North (AKA Canada)

Re: Gnome For Pi

Wed May 26, 2021 3:22 pm

craigevil wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:01 pm
Just curious, but what is so difficult about doing one of the following:
sudo apt install gnome
sudo apt install gnome-core (gnome lite)
sudo apt install task-gnome-desktop

All of the tools to install any of the Desktop Environments including Gnome are already available.
Why reinvent the wheel?
Does this produce a sane result (ie a greeter than allows you to select between LXDE and Gnome) when installed on top of the default full desktop version? I have only installed alternate desktops on top of Lite versions on the Pi.

I obviously "need" another 4B as a sandbox machine as I am past conducting these sorts of experiments on my main desktop machine, which is running Mate very nicely off a SSD.

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi

Wed May 26, 2021 3:53 pm

craigevil wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:01 pm
Just curious, but what is so difficult about doing one of the following:
sudo apt install gnome
sudo apt install gnome-core (gnome lite)
sudo apt install task-gnome-desktop

All of the tools to install any of the Desktop Environments including Gnome are already available.
Why reinvent the wheel?
1) WiFi doesn't work out of the box (configure with GNOME For Pi)
2) If you do anything that requires root privelages, it asks for root password is required by default (also changed in GNOME For Pi)
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi

Wed May 26, 2021 3:55 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:22 pm
craigevil wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:01 pm
Just curious, but what is so difficult about doing one of the following:
sudo apt install gnome
sudo apt install gnome-core (gnome lite)
sudo apt install task-gnome-desktop

All of the tools to install any of the Desktop Environments including Gnome are already available.
Why reinvent the wheel?
Does this produce a sane result (ie a greeter than allows you to select between LXDE and Gnome) when installed on top of the default full desktop version? I have only installed alternate desktops on top of Lite versions on the Pi.

I obviously "need" another 4B as a sandbox machine as I am past conducting these sorts of experiments on my main desktop machine, which is running Mate very nicely off a SSD.
Both of these methods don't (manual method mentioned above, or my script) because of problems with packages.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

User avatar
craigevil
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:22 am
Location: OZ

Re: Gnome For Pi

Wed May 26, 2021 5:39 pm

sudo apt install gnome
0 upgraded, 314 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 167 MB of archives.
After this operation, 692 MB of additional disk space will be used.

sudo apt install task-gnome-desktop
0 upgraded, 195 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 118 MB of archives.
After this operation, 395 MB of additional disk space will be used.

sudo apt install gnome-core
0 upgraded, 186 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 108 MB of archives.
After this operation, 380 MB of additional disk space will be used.


All three methods install gdm3 , which will allow you to login to the DE/wm of your choice.
Raspberry PI 400 Raspberry Pi OS (Unstable) Kernel: 5.10.17-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

Giga_Pi
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi

Fri May 28, 2021 10:48 am

craigevil wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:39 pm
sudo apt install gnome
0 upgraded, 314 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 167 MB of archives.
After this operation, 692 MB of additional disk space will be used.

sudo apt install task-gnome-desktop
0 upgraded, 195 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 118 MB of archives.
After this operation, 395 MB of additional disk space will be used.

sudo apt install gnome-core
0 upgraded, 186 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 108 MB of archives.
After this operation, 380 MB of additional disk space will be used.


All three methods install gdm3 , which will allow you to login to the DE/wm of your choice.
Yeah, but there are still package errors (some clashes somewhere apparently)
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Return to “General discussion”