tipam

New 3D printed Pi4 case designs for overclocking

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi

If anyone is interested, I've posted new 3D printable, Pi4 cases for overclocking on Thingiverse

Both cases have instructions and can slide onto a stand.
I'm currently working on adding an SSD housing as well (built into the stand).

The cases use either a 30x30x7mm 5V fan or the ICE Tower fan;

[edit] If anyone has an idea they'd like to see in/on/for a Pi4 case let me know :mrgreen:

Raspberry Pi == small computer == big dreams

RaspbianUser1

Re: New 3D printed Pi4 case designs for overclocking

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm

I have to admit, they are really nice. I had to look real hard to find any fault with it :lol:

That one fault is the part above the red piece, it is a bit thin and with too much pressure with the red piece, it could break and then the grille could be loose and need to be fixed.

But apart from that I really like it, the fact it fits with the ice tower fan is a bonus
Running Raspberry Pi OS Full, therefore my comments will be based on that
Using RPI-4B 4GB at 2.1GHz CPU and 700MHz GPU
don't format your sd because someone said so.
Or put your favourite cutlery into your nearest outlet (May result in death) ;)

BeauSlim

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Lots of good ideas in your design. I particularly like the stand. Thanks for sharing!

tipam

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:06 pm

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm
That one fault is the part above the red piece, it is a bit thin and with too much pressure with the red piece, it could break and then the grille could be loose and need to be fixed.
The red piece is pretty tough (5mm thick) ... you only see a thin rim once it's pushed into the back of the case. I suppose the fan holder is thin but it needs to have some flex to securely hold the fan.

Thanks for taking a look - you're comments are very helpful :)

trejan

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Case looks good. I'm not sure about using PLA for it though. The glass transition temperature of PLA is well within the normal operating temperature range of a Pi 4.

tipam

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:36 pm

trejan wrote:
Case looks good. I'm not sure about using PLA for it though. The glass transition temperature of PLA is well within the normal operating temperature range of a Pi 4.
Good point ... the Pi board is approx. 1.5mm from bottom of the case resting on edge supports and has a vent underneath. Continuous cooling of the board should also be sufficient - however I wouldn't recommend using the case without a fan.

BeauSlim

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:12 pm

trejan wrote:
I have printed PLA parts for use on my Pi4. I have only seen slight warping on one piece and that was a "harness" I designed to hold a large heat sink down on top of a thermal pad and then connect to the board at the 4 screw points. So basically a combination of thin structural members, torque from perpendicular forces, and direct contact with chunk of hot metal caused warping. It still works fine.

tipam

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Just added back to back stand and stackable SSD drive mount (available on the same Thingiverse page https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4463789)

Here are some configurations ...

Return to “General discussion”