NigelRex

Re: "Variable" Pricing

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Maybe a crazy idea, but since this is a not for profit project would it not be interesting to make the selling price "name your price" in a manner similar to one of Radiohead's recent albums.

I for one would be more than willing to donate over and above the purchase price for the greater good, and by wrapping the donation into the selling price it should make it a lot more manageable.

Just a thought for discussion!

SeanD

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:12 pm

An interesting thought but I would think that a buy one donate one approach which has been discussed before as being a more workable solution.  A key future of the RPi is its price and I think that having variable pricing would dilute that.

welshblob

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 pm

At least for the UK purchasers, as I believe the RPI foundation is a charity, wouldn't it be good to be able to donate money so that giftaid tax relief could then be claimed on that donation?

Rob

NigelRex

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:24 pm

SeanD said:

An interesting thought but I would think that a buy one donate one approach which has been discussed before as being a more workable solution.  A key future of the RPi is its price and I think that having variable pricing would dilute that.

Yes, I've got to admit that the RPi price tag does get a lot of interest and comment in the media and when talking to people.

A suitable variant of "NYP" might be to set the minimum as $25, and make it clear that donations over and above would be welcome from those that can afford it. In this way there may be additional PR from being the first (?) NYP computer.

TBH the idea came to mind when I read of the generous philanthropy of the beta buyers, I'm sure there are plenty of like-minded people that would like to offer more than "buy one, donate one".

meltwater

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 pm

I think there was discussion a while back, that there would be a pay pal donate button available (I think there already is, but for anti-vapour-ware flaming, it's not publicised yet).

That way you aren't forced into paying for an extra Pi, but could still donate a % of one if you wanted to.  Hopefully they can sort out the gift-aid side of it too.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Steady_Bear

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:19 am

I may, or may not, be the only one to feel this way, but:

I'm much more likely to enter a few quid in an optional box as part of the check out process (a bit like ebay's) than to go to a dedicated donate via Paypal.

I can't figure out the logic (although I can guess), but there you go.

Lynbarn

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 am

Steady_Bear said:

I may, or may not, be the only one to feel this way, but:

I'm much more likely to enter a few quid in an optional box as part of the check out process (a bit like ebay's) than to go to a dedicated donate via Paypal.

I can't figure out the logic (although I can guess), but there you go.

It is easy enough to add a donation box to any online payment system (just add a "donation" product to the store, priced at £/$/€1, and prompt customers to set the quantity to the amount they wish to donate. Simples! Collecting Gift Aid data for UK taxpayers is just a little more convoluted, but can be done.

Besides, The Foundation uses the Pay Pal guest service to process credit and debit card payments for those who don't have or wish to use Pay Pal accounts, so all payments go through the same channel.  Seems logical to me.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:46 am

And that's exactly what we plan to do. Variable pricing doesn't work for us for a number of reasons; a donation field in the shop does.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Nick.C

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:37 am

Glad to hear about the donation box - I for one will be using it when I order my first R.Pi-B.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 am

Variable pricing:

I, J, K, L, M or N: $5

All the rest: $4.99

I'll get my coat.

hedgehog

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:49 pm

For me, in a corporate environment, it's easier to get 150 @ $36 past the beancounters, rather than 150 @ $35 + $150 donation.

Lynbarn

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:54 pm

hedgehog said:

For me, in a corporate environment, it's easier to get 150 @ $36 past the beancounters, rather than 150 @ $35 + $150 donation.

Just remind the beanies that the donation is tax-deductible!

hedgehog

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Lynbarn said:

Just remind the beanies that the donation is tax-deductible!

I'm not in the UK, so I don't know how tax-deductible a donation to a foreign charity will be.

rpt

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Can Liz confirm that the donation will be gift-aidable?

Return to “General discussion”