RexRoper

The User Interface Failed To Load

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:35 pm

Happy New Year to everyone!
I have not found any other post relating to the problem I am experiencing with accessing The Pi Store so I have started this post.
I have not been able to successfully launch the Pi Store on my Raspberry. After the initial failure and receiving the error: "The User Interface Failed To Load", I have attempted the following without success:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install pi store. I receive the same error: "The User Interface Failed To Load".
I have internet connection and I can access all websites normally, but no Pi Store access using the Pi Store app. Can someone help point me in the right direction for this type of error?

Thank you for your time and insight in advance.
Rex Roper

Pankoi

Re: The User Interface Failed To Load

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi there, RexRoper.

I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems with the Pi Store. If you wouldn't mind, please navigate to /usr/share/indiecity/pistore/scripts and run the enablelogging.sh script. If you could then try running the Pi Store a couple of times, you should be able to find a log file at /home/USERNAME/indiecity/pistore/General.log.

If you could send that to me at [email protected], I'll see if that gives any further information as to what the problem might be. :)

Thanks very much,
~Richard Williams
The Pi Store: the home of games, apps, tutorials and other content for Raspberry Pi - store.raspberrypi.com
Want to hear about new Pi Store content? Follow @PiStoreReleases on Twitter.

computerguy123

When I try to load the store it crashes

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:57 pm

I have installed the pi store when I try to run it it freezes then I tyed to run it in the command window and it asked for a password I did not know

RexRoper

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 pm

Richard,

I have attached copies of screen shots here to maintain continuity with this thread and sent same in email to the address you specified.

Thank you for your assistance.
Attachments
PiStoreError2.png
Screen Shots of Error
PiStoreError2.png (44.33 KiB) Viewed 7088 times

Pankoi

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

That "badly formed file list" error is a new one on me, so it definitely gives me something to chew over. I'll get back to you once I've been able to have a proper look into possible causes.

Thanks very much,
~Richard Williams
The Pi Store: the home of games, apps, tutorials and other content for Raspberry Pi - store.raspberrypi.com

RexRoper

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Additional information...

I did perform the install of The Pi Store before updating my Raspbian image and before I understood The Pi Store was already installed with the latest Raspbian images.

I did perform the the steps from the first post under Bug Reports on how to uninstall and then re-install The Pi Store after the first failure, but I still get the exact same result.

I am running on a 256MB version of the Pi with a version of Wheezy obtained within the past 30 days.

RexRoper

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Hello Richard,

I am still unable to access the Pi Store. I have followed the following steps in an attempt to get beyond this issue, but with no success:
Obtain latest Raspbian image - 2012-12-16
Configure for High CPU overclocking
Execute: sudo apt-get update
Execute: sudo apt-get upgrade
Execute: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Execute: startx
Execute: Pi Store app
Error: The Interface Failed To Load

I get this same error on my 256MB Model B and on my 512MB Model B Pi's. Checking the General.log continues to indicate:
Date = Sun Jan 6 16:54:05 2013
Got latest ui version from IndieCity: 2.0.0.15368
Ui is out of date. Old version 0.0.0.0 New version 2.0.0.15368
Updating client ui
ERROR OnCommonFilesRequestFinished ParseFileList: Badly formed file list
Ballon Message: Error - unable to load GUI
Error CachedGUI Unable to load GUI

Is there a file that indicates I have version 0.0.0.0 that I can manually change?

Any other suggestions may also be helpful.

Thank you for your time.

Pankoi

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Rex,

Sorry for the slow response - we'll be at full strength again in the office from tomorrow, so I'm hoping we'll be able to have more of a look at it then. :)

Thanks,
~Richard Williams

RexRoper

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 am

All good, just wanted to keep you updated on my efforts. BTW, same error without over-clocking and on a different SD card.

I look forward to your input.
:)

Moocrow

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 am

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. From a fresh image of Rasparian I have done only the following:

Set:
locale
timezone
overscan
console font settings through console-setup
GUI font and theme settings.

Updated the apt cache
Installed Chromium

Set up Wifi. I am using a RTL818 based dongle, so Rasparian/Wifi Config picked it up immediately and there were no additional installs or config changes to make.

I am also unable to launch the pi store, with the same error given. I have successfully updated the pistore package but the result is the same, with the same error.

Thanks,

Jim

Pankoi

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:59 am

Moocrow wrote:I have exactly the same problem.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the report. When you say you have exactly the same problem, have you run the logging scripts (as described in an earlier post) and received the same "Parse error: badly formed file list" error as RexRoper?

It's handy to know if it's exactly the same problem or if it's got a different underlying cause - I'll then hopefully be able to get a better idea of what the causes might be. Thanks as well for the very clear and concise description of all the operations you've performed. :)

~Richard Williams

txsrooster

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:57 am

Brand new user...like in just a couple of hours ago...when I do the update the PiStore icon appears on the desktop. When you double click the icon, the icon highlights but then nothing happens. At all..I can click on other icons and they launch, but the PiStore dose nothing. Any Ideas?

Pankoi

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 am

Hi txsrooster,

I'm sorry to hear that the Pi Store desktop icon isn't working for you. If you open a terminal and type in 'pistore', does that launch it? If not, do you get an error?

Thanks very much,
~Richard Williams

txsrooster

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Sorry just now getting a chance to try this...i opened lxterminal and typed pistore hit enter and it asks for a password. I tried entering a few different passwords but it just says invalid password.

*update* i opened up a root terminal page and it worked. Now just have to try and get the pistore app to work.

tjade273

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 am

I had the same problem, icon doesn't work, but I can access the store by typing "sudo pistore"

metaljay

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi,

tried Running Sudo pistore from root, and also before logging in, still get unable to connect.

Here is my log.

Code: Select all

Date = Tue Jan 15 12:33:21 2013

ERROR OnUiMapRequestFinished Failed loading ui map file
Balloon Message: Error - Unable to load GUI
ERROR CachedGui Unable to load GUI

Date = Tue Jan 15 12:33:44 2013

Got latest ui version from IndieCity: 2.0.0.15368
Ui is out of date. Old version 0.0.0.0 New Version 2.0.0.15368
Updating client ui
ERROR OnCommonFilesRequestFinished ParseFileList : badly formed file list
Balloon Message: Error - Unable to load GUI
ERROR CachedGui Unable to load GUI

I have ran apt-get and upgrade too, everything is uptodate

ffelagund

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Just tried today, after some weeks. apt-get update && upgrade and the pistore throws the same error :/

RexRoper

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 am

Although I have tried numerous things like, new SD Card, fresh image load, update and upgrade in stages with testing between each stage, and so on, with no success.

I too am still unable to access The PiStore from my Raspberry Pi computers, I have two.

moving on until there is an identified fix...

metaljay

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 am

Bump guys, would like some support here...

Pankoi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 am

Hi guys,

Apologies for the radio silence over the past week or so - we've been going absolutely flat out to get updates and bug fixes out. Unfortunately, the UI issues you're having problems with are proving very tricky to debug as it's happening in such isolated numbers and isn't often the same error at the heart of things.

RexRoper has kindly provided me with instructions as to how he sets up his SD card, so I'm going to follow those through and try to reproduce the issue as soon as I get a chance - I'm hoping tomorrow. :)

~Richard Williams

dimdom

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi all,
I would just like to add myself to the list of people experiencing this same issue. The symptoms appear to be very similar to other posters. I also get a GUI erros messages in the error logs.

I should note that I am also trying to connect via a proxy, and have been successful in connecting to the internet via midora using the same proxy settings that have been set in the variables for both root and sudo users.

I am very new to raspberry pi and linux operating systems, so please forgive any lack of technical terminology.

I am wondering if there is an issue with how the pi store connects to the internet and perhaps does not recognise proxies?

I hope this will be resolved soon.

Cheers

Dom

ffelagund

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Just in case this info could be useful:
My router has an static IP from my ISP, and I have configured my rasp with an static IP (manually, interfaces file) into a "non standard" segment: 10.22.0.0. No proxies in my LAN/WAN.

I have full internet and LAN access with any application.

metaljay

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:07 pm

I imaged the Card using Mac and 'Raspberry Pi v1.0'

I am tethering my iphone wirelessly to my Pi using WPA2 encryption :)

dimdom

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Perhaps it is not a proxy issues after all. Just a wild guess on my part to be honest. Thanks for the replies.

Dom

dimdom

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 am

My co-worker took the SD card out of our pi and took it home and tired it in his own pi, and it worked fine. It should be noted he is not using a proxy at home. So perhaps a proxy issue still remains.

Cheers

Dom

Return to “General discussion”