harry747

a case for my pi 4

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:55 pm

hi.
i'm looking for a case for my pi 4. it needs to be big enough for a hat or 2 (because i want to use a PoE hat like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSLRKIT-Raspbe ... 668&sr=8-5) and it needs good cooling because my pi runs 24/7. can anyone recommend one?

harry747

Re: a case for my pi 4

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:08 pm

anyone???

bjtheone

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:19 pm

I use simple "cases" which are just a top and bottom plate connected by standoffs. Easy to change the height of the standoffs to accomodate any internal height. Currently like a slightly tweaked version of this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3928666

Protects the Pi from getting placed on something conductive/liquid spills on desk, allows great ventilation, height flexible, and provides protection against stuff falling on to the Pi.

pfletch101

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:10 pm

I do the same as bjtheone for the 3B that handles environmental monitoring for my house and consequently runs 24/7/365.

HawaiianPi

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:24 pm

I also have a few Pi computers in 2 layer acrylic cases with no sides and 40mm fans. The ones I use also happen to match the width of a 2.5" SSD/HDD, so I can replace the top cover with a drive if I want. Cheap, versatile, and adequate protection with easy access to GPIO.

SSD mounted on top of case with short standoffs, Noctua NF-A4x10 5V fan, and a CP2102 micro-USB UART (Pi3 in picture is now a Pi4).

Paid $3.90 to $6.99 for most of them, but recently got one with a smaller 30mm fan for $2.99 (all from Amazon with free Prime shipping). I also added knurled brass thumb nuts for feet.

Very easy to change the internal spacing with longer or additional standoffs, or by simply placing the fan on top, unless you have an SSD up there like I do. The linked picture with the SSD replacing the top cover and fan has a Pimoroni Fan-SHIM for cooling.

For that fanless PoE HAT in the OP the fan on top of the case would not be as effective (it would cool the PoE HAT, but not the Pi4), so you'd either have to rely on the open sided case allowing heat to radiate away, or get additional cooling some other way (Fan-SHIM might work, but it would not allow the PoE HAT to fully seat on the GPIO header). Side fan or passive heatsinks are other options.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

LTolledo

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:22 pm

for versatility, those acrylic plates and standoffs combination is the way to go.
the height is variable, just change/add standoffs to suit the project requirements
I have several setups similar to what HawaiianPi posted, but in different configurations.

below is another example using a standoffs but with thicker acrylic plate (5mm)
RPi3B+ minidesktop setup.jpg
RPi3B+ minidesktop setup.jpg (200.03 KiB) Viewed 385 times
RPi3B+ minideskop.jpg
RPi3B+ minideskop.jpg (171.9 KiB) Viewed 385 times
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Moonmarch

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:48 pm

I searched for "tall Raspberry Pi 4 cases" in Google Search, here is what I found:

anidees Aluminum Extra High Pi case for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B – Black(AI-PI4-BB-H)
https://www.amazon.com/anidees-Aluminum ... PJZKS?th=1

This case for the Raspberry Pi 4 computer is a tall enclosure, and you will be able to add spacers to the case. The spacers increases the distance between the top of the enclosure, and the base of the enclosure. The spacing improves air flow, and increases the height of the enclosure. Here is a Raspberry Pi 4 case that is compatible with a Power Over Ethernet expansion board. Here is a link to the Raspberry Pi 4 case:

UCTRONICS PoE HAT for Raspberry Pi 4 with Case, 802.3at Power Over Ethernet Expansion Board for Pi 4 B Board, with Cooling Fan
https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Raspbe ... 62DKDZP627

The Power Over Ethernet case for the Raspberry Pi 4 computer includes a built in fan. The Raspberry Pi 4 case includes the POE expansion board with the case. There are more tall cases for the Raspberry Pi 4 to choose from. If you searched long enough, eventually you will find what you are searching for. I see Raspberry Pi 4 cases that are designed to mount 2.5 in. internal storage drives. I see cases that are compatible with larger computer fans. If you are not interested in a Raspberry Pi 4 enclosure, you can use stacking computer cases with longer standoff screws.

Return to “General discussion”