Zypp

Re: finding a Virtualbox Fedora/ARM image

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I heard of the Raspberry pi a few days ago. I'm pretty excited and looking forward to getting one. Because I'm not very familiar with Linux (pure Windows user here) I wanted to play with it a little in Virtualbox. Now I want the image to be as similar as possible to the OS that will be on the Raspberry pi. I was told it would mainly support Fedora, but also other Linux distro's. So what I'm looking for is a Fedora ARM image if possible. I couldn't find an image like this anywhere.

By the way, most images I find that are close to what I want (Fedora non-ARM, Ubuntu ARM, etc) have Gnome installed, which probably won't work with the low amount of RAM memory the Raspberry will come with. It would be best if the image had LXDE or no GUI at all so I can install LXDE myself. Because then I can set Virtualbox to run the image with 256 MB RAM. I want to be able to set the RAM so low so I can find out what runs and what doesn't.

I would really appreciate any help here. Also, if I'm blurting out nonsense, just tell me. I'm really new to Linux and hardware stuff but I'm eager to learn.

Cheers,

Zypp

Zypp

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 pm

macemoneta said:

Here you go:

http://russelldavis.org/2012/0.....mu-part-3/

Thank you for the quick reply. I believe this takes the ubuntu image in virtualbox and then emulates the raspberry pi inside that? I may be wrong but that seems redundant to me. Is there really no way to just get an image similar to what you would put on the Raspberry pi and just put that straight into virtualbox?

EDIT: also, the link goes to a part 3, I can't find a part 1 or 2..

WereCatf

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Zypp said:

Is there really no way to just get an image similar to what you would put on the Raspberry pi and just put that straight into virtualbox?
Virtualbox only virtualizes x86 hardware, RPi is not x86, it's ARM. You need a full emulator that emulates everything, including CPU, interrupts, memory etc. So no, you cannot run an ARM image inside Virtualbox.

QEMU is the software that does emulate everything and can emulate several different kinds of architechture, but QEMU doesn't seem to exist for Windows so the only possible way is to then run QEMU inside a virtualizer running Linux. I am not aware of any full-blown emulator for Windows that can emulate ARM architechture.

Zypp

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:39 pm

WereCatf said:

Zypp said:

Is there really no way to just get an image similar to what you would put on the Raspberry pi and just put that straight into virtualbox?

Virtualbox only virtualizes x86 hardware, RPi is not x86, it's ARM. You need a full emulator that emulates everything, including CPU, interrupts, memory etc. So no, you cannot run an ARM image inside Virtualbox.

QEMU is the software that does emulate everything and can emulate several different kinds of architechture, but QEMU doesn't seem to exist for Windows so the only possible way is to then run QEMU inside a virtualizer running Linux. I am not aware of any full-blown emulator for Windows that can emulate ARM architechture.

Thanks! I'll run QEMU in Ubuntu then.

lewmur

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 pm

That article was assuming you were running a Linux distro to begin with.  From Windows, what you want to do is download a Fedora/ARM iso image and use that to install it in VBox.

Try reading this article.

WereCatf

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Apparently I wasn't entirely correct, there DOES seem to exist an alpha-version of QEMU for Windows at http://lassauge.free.fr/qemu/

Note that I have not tried QEMU under Windows, I cannot say how easy it is to set up or how well it performs.

Zypp

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:50 pm

WereCatf said:

Apparently I wasn't entirely correct, there DOES seem to exist an alpha-version of QEMU for Windows at http://lassauge.free.fr/qemu/

Note that I have not tried QEMU under Windows, I cannot say how easy it is to set up or how well it performs.

lewmur said:

That article was assuming you were running a Linux distro to begin with.  From Windows, what you want to do is download a Fedora/ARM iso image and use that to install it in VBox.

Wait, so Virtualbox can run ARM images? If that is correct I will try that first, otherwise I will go with QEMU for windows.

ravedadave

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi,

The link posted above is a bit old, QEMU works fine on windows, although has no acceleration.

I have been working on the project for many years I manage Qemu Manager a windows front end.

You can get a near upto date version at http://www.davereyn.co.uk

Dave.

Zypp

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:05 pm

ravedadave said:

Hi,

The link posted above is a bit old, QEMU works fine on windows, although has no acceleration.

I have been working on the project for many years I manage Qemu Manager a windows front end.

You can get a near upto date version at http://www.davereyn.co.uk

Dave.

I'll try that then. Even if it doesn't work I will still have other options to fall back to, so my problem is solved I guess ^^

drgeoff

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Zypp said:

lewmur said:

Wait, so Virtualbox can run ARM images? If that is correct I will try that first, otherwise I will go with windows.

That is not my interpretation of the article that lewmur linked to. Qemu still needed.

Zypp

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:18 pm

drgeoff said:

Zypp said:

lewmur said:

Wait, so Virtualbox can run ARM images? If that is correct I will try that first, otherwise I will go with windows.

That is not my interpretation of the article that lewmur linked to. Qemu still needed.

On second thought, you are probably right. But that's okay because I'm going to use the (up to date) windows version of Qemu now.

lewmur

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm

I stand corrected.  VirtualBox won't run ARM.  But there are other Windows based "simulators" for various ARM versions.  You might want to google Open Virtual Platforms.

Zypp

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

So I managed to find a Debian/ARM image for Qemu. I set up the VDI, kernel path and ram file thingy according to the attached readme. You can find the files here:

http://people.debian.org/~aure...../qemu/arm/

I'm using the most up to date version of qemu manager (for windows). Whenever I play the virtual machine the process instantly crashes. Screenshot below.

EDIT: the site also states: "To use this image, you need to install QEMU 0.10.0 (or later):"

During setup I can only choose 1 version: "Qemu manager QEMU 0.11.1". This sounds okay as 0.11.1 is later than 0.10.0, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Zypp

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Fixed it! Turns out there were 2 problems: I didn't set the CPU to 64 bits (I'm on a 64 bit computer) and I didn't have the correct processor selected. I could write a guide about how to set it this all up (which manager, image, etc to use) just for the windows users. The only guide provided at the moment is for linux users, which is possible in windows but also gives an extra layer of virtualization, which is rather undesired.

ravedadave

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:51 am

Hi,

Just putting the finishing touches to a Rasberry Pi version of Qemu Manager dedicated to rasberry pi projects only, well let you know when it's done, should be practically quick and run, and allow users to create setups from scratch.

Dave.

lumberjackprince

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm in the same boat as Zypp, I'm a Windows user but I'm extremely excited for RaspberryPi!  Thanks to Zypp for kicking off this Windows thread and Dave for the pending Qemu updates.

I'd rather spend my time figure how to make better games than how to set up virtual machines so anything that helps me get those details out of the way is thoroughly appreciated.  I know I can always "read the manual" but that leaves me an unreasonable number of manuals I have to get through before I can actually get to my intended task.  Thanks again for streamlining the process!

Return to “General discussion”