martinm

Which WiFi adapter

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi guys,

for my current project I need the Raspberry to be running 24/7 connected to my network via WiFi.

I used 2 different adapters, but none of them worked for more than ~12 hrs before spamming the syslog with strange errors.. (One of them I even bought at modmypi).

Is there anybody successfully using the PI 24/7 with a wifi connection?

malakai

Re: Which WiFi adapter

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:05 pm

It would most likely be a problem with the software your running rather than the adapter itself what do you have installed. What were the errors reported. I have an edup and some other similar chips they all run without any errors.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

m4xhere

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 am

i use a Ralink(Rt5370) chipset based wifi dongle.. cheaply available out there.. can also be used as a hotspot..

hanna

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:50 am

martinm wrote:Hi guys,

for my current project I need the Raspberry to be running 24/7 connected to my network via WiFi.

I used 2 different adapters, but none of them worked for more than ~12 hrs before spamming the syslog with strange errors.. (One of them I even bought at modmypi).

Is there anybody successfully using the PI 24/7 with a wifi connection?
i was going to ask the same question but in a much less intelligent fashion...
i can't get my RTL 8187 adapter to go more than half a day or so before it chokes and loses connectivity (linux noob so i don't know where to look for actual error messages - the adapter sure gets warm, though). got a D-Link w/ AR5523 chipset that i can't get working at all...am going to try a Zonet (marvell chipset) dongle next, as soon as i get the strength to go through the ordeal of getting it to work.

but it did lead me to wonder if there are long-term wifi success stories, as the op has asked. i did spring for the Pluggable 5-port powered USB hub, which makes WiFi work a lot better, when it's actually working. btw, how would i get to the syslog to see how my RTL 8187 drops are being reported?

thanks!

PaulCheffus

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 pm

martinm wrote:Is there anybody successfully using the PI 24/7 with a wifi connection?
Hi

Yes I have my Pi connected via WiFi using an Edimax EW7811UM wireless dongle and after initial issues with it dying after 36 hours (I upgraded to Raspbian 3.2.27, I was running 3.1.9 before) it has been rock solid ever since. Current up time ~20 days.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

pjc123

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:41 pm

PaulCheffus wrote: Hi

Yes I have my Pi connected via WiFi using an Edimax EW7811UM wireless dongle and after initial issues with it dying after 36 hours (I upgraded to Raspbian 3.2.27, I was running 3.1.9 before) it has been rock solid ever since. Current up time ~20 days.

Cheers

Paul
There is no Edimax EW7811UM as far as I know; did you mean EW7811UN? I have a clone of that device, but have not tested it long term, just for a couple hours or so at a time without disconnects.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:

https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

PaulCheffus

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 pm

pjc123 wrote:
PaulCheffus wrote: Hi

Cheers

Paul
There is no Edimax EW7811UM as far as I know; did you mean EW7811UN? I have a clone of that device, but have not tested it long term, just for a couple hours or so at a time without disconnects.
Hi

Indeed it is a UN not a UM, that's what happens when you rely on your memory.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Return to “General discussion”