jdelara

latest stable EEPROM has problems w/ Moitessier hat 2

Sat May 30, 2020 8:16 pm

After I updated my raspberry pi 4 with latest firmware, my system goes down after reboot.
Non of the available EEPROM recovery versions I have are working.
I am running OpenPlotter
The way to get back to the system is by manually editing the config.txt in the boot partition and erase the configuration related to the hat
I am getting the following error message when running system check =>
"The installed package does not support the current kernel version, go to Moitessier HAT app to update it."
But trying to upgrade Moitessier drivers will give errors and them back to the same point: system going down after reboot.
I also tried to start my system from scratch (in a few different ways), but at the end of the configuration process (after a few or several ours of work), I end in the same point.
It is very frustrating this happening just because I have updated y system!!
Could somebody help me out?
Thanks a lot!

hippy

Re: latest stable EEPROM has problems w/ Moitessier hat 2

Sun May 31, 2020 9:09 am

What does 'uname -a' show when typed at the command line ?

This appears to be a kernel version issue rather than a Boot Eeprom issue. Did you run an 'rpi-update' ?

jdelara

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:46 am

uname -a returns this =>
Linux El-Bahira-Pi 4.19.118-v7l+ #1311 SMP Mon Apr 27 14:26:42 BST 2020 armv7l GMU/Linux
pi@El-Bahira-Pi: ~$

What I usually do is:
sudo apt apdate
when there are packages to be updated either I run the Package Updater utility under System Tools or the command
sudo apt apgrade

I really need your help fixing this problem.
Please, help me out delivering this to the right development group as this problem could soon affect many others!

I was a happy user of my OpenPlotter system using a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB model) and a Moitessier Hat 2.
My system was working perfectly fine, loaded with the latest EMC maps, receiving GPA and AIS messages from the hat.
I usually update both the Debian software and the maps, so I was running all the latest versions.
A few days ago, after my last update (that involved EEPROM update), my system stopped working after the reboot. Because I have a back-up micro-SD card (duplicated from the active one, using Gparted utility), I re-started the system from this new micro-SD. Everything was working fine, until I decided to perform a system update. Again, after the reboot, after all the previous booting processes and when I am supposed to see the plotting window (OpenCPN), the system goes down to sleep with all LEDs down except for the red power LED.
So, I prepared a new micro-SD, this time using the Moitessier NOOBS version. I when to the whole process until the time to install the Moitessier Driver. The driver installation process (using the latest version), gave me some error (see enclosed file), and after the reboot => boom!!! system goes down!!!!
I figured the only way to come up with a working system (with any of my 3 micro-SD) was by deleting (or commenting) the line in the /boot/config.txt file that defines the interface with Moitessier hat
=> # dtoverlay=i2c-gpio,i2c_gpio_sda=2,i2c_gpio_scl=3,bus=3
By deleting (or commenting that line with # in front), I can get the system up and running, but without the Moitessier hat.
System check routine (see enclosed pic) will tell me the following error, about the Moitessier hat:
"The installed package does not support the current kernel version, go to Moitessier HAT app to updated"
I tried multiple things, including downloading previous EEPROM firmware to end allwys in the same point.
Whenever I try to install Moitessier Driver (it doesn't matter the version), despite the errors I always get my system down after rebooting.
Again, the only way to get the system working is by externally editing the config.txt and removing the mentioned line (everything will work but not the HAT).
I am enclosing a pic showing the kernel and the driver versions for you guys to work out a solution.
Evidently there is incompatibility between the latest Debian software and your HAT.
Let my emphasize that the experience of having a perfectly working system that stops completely after an update (STABLE not Beta) is a real frustrating experience.
This will happen to many other people as they update their systems!
I really appreciate our support helping me (and eventually many others) to fix this problem.
Thank you

sparkyhall

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:23 pm

I think you have this the wrong way round. From rooco web site it looks like the drivers for the Moitessier hat are tied to a specific kernel version so it's no wonder it breaks when the kernel is updated. You need to contact rooco and ask them to update their drivers or you can have a go compiling new drivers yourself.

To prevent future breakage you cauld mark the kernal package to prevent updates until you know the new driver is available.

jdelara

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:53 pm

Could you please guide me how to install the previous kernel and how to prevent kernel updates?
I do not recall having done rpi-update.

thanks a lot for your support

sparkyhall

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:29 am

I'm not sure how to roll back to previous a kernel as I tend to keep back-ups.

Assuming you are using Raspberry Pi OS (formally Raspbian) to stop a package from updating you use "sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>". So to stop the boot loader and kernel updating you would use:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel

jdelara

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Again, thanks a lot for your reply.
Let me double check if I am understanding properly:
if I run the command:
'sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel'
I don't have to worry about kernel or bootload updates?
I can run
'sudo apt update'
and
'sudo apt upgrade' safely?
Thanks again!

Return to “General discussion”