Spaylia

Can the RPi4 display HDR10 content through HDMI?

Sat May 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi,

I wanted to buy a RPi to plug into my TV, to act as a media center but I couldn't find any technical information about the HDMI ports on the board.

The transcoding would be made by my home server so the Pi only have to play it (using Kodi for instance) on the TV basically, but I have 4K HDR10 content and I would like to know if the Pi can output such content.

Are the micro-HDMI >= 2.0?

Also, is the display drivers capable of displaying 4K HDR10? For example on my windows computer, I can chose "HDR" in my Radeon settings, does the Pi has this option?
Last edited by Spaylia on Sat May 30, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendek

Re: Can the RPi4 display HDR10 content through HDMI?

Sat May 30, 2020 4:13 pm

The RPi4 hardware is technically HDR capable, but it lacks compatible software. So LibreELEC (Kodi) can play HDR videos, but only in SDR mode (with poor results, colors are faded and washed out). It's been almost a year, but now maybe the software will be ready soon.

dickon

Sat May 30, 2020 4:21 pm

We were waiting for kernel 5.4, but that's been around for a while now and 10b still hasn't materialised.

Apparently LibreELEC is likely to have it before Raspb^WPiOS, so it might be worth keeping an eye on their source trees.
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

Spaylia

Sun May 31, 2020 9:15 am

Perfect, I'll wait then, thanks guys!

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun May 31, 2020 8:27 pm

X doesn't support HDR, therefore it really is only for dedicated media players.
Even then you get interesting times should you wish to combine an RGB GUI over the top of HDR content.
It's coming (it's mainly just plumbing), but it also needs the client to do sensible things too, and I'm not sure Kodi has the relevant plumbing in as yet, at least not based on mainline kernel APIs.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

dickon

Sun May 31, 2020 8:46 pm

Mmm, I get the trouble, but all I really care about is a commandline console player -- vlc works, and works well; I'm using it in preference to omxplayer now, so thanks to (all of your team) who made that work -- capable of 1080p H.264 and 10b4k HEVC. I'll slum it with Kodi, probably on LibreELEC if that's all that'll do it to begin with, if I have to, but it's hardly ideal.
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

Return to “General discussion”