X-Gen

Need emmc drive

Sat May 30, 2020 7:27 am

I've read the pi4b with the new OS, doesn't allow booting from USB anymore?

It would be awesome, if on the next version of the pi, there will be a connector for an external drive, that's not only faster, but much more reliable than microSD cards.

The main issue is that slow as cards, hamper the Pi's performance. And even with the prices of SD cards falling every year (or capacities going up), I would much more prefer to have a slower SSD/emmc drive, than a faster SD card,just for sale of reliability. Emmc have better error correction than SD cards.

Kendek

Re: Need emmc drive

Sat May 30, 2020 7:57 am

X-Gen wrote:
Not yet, but there is a new beta bootloader that supports USB booting.

HawaiianPi

Sat May 30, 2020 9:05 am

X-Gen wrote:
Any more? I think you mean, yet...

Unlike previous models the Pi 4B has on-board upgradeable firmware, and there is a beta release of the USB boot capable firmware out now. Mainstream release can't be far off (I've been running the beta boot-loader and it's working fine for me).

X-Gen wrote:
It would be awesome, if on the next version of the pi, there will be a connector for an external drive, that's not only faster, but much more reliable than microSD cards.
You mean like USB 3.0? Already there, and even before the USB boot beta firmware it was possible to have /boot on SD card with the main OS running from a USB drive. I was running my 4B2 like that since I bought it back in July 2019.

X-Gen wrote:
The main issue is that slow as cards, hamper the Pi's performance.
Then don't use slow cards. Get "A1" rated SD cards for better performance, or run the OS from a USB SSD like I do. The Pi4's SD card interface is much faster than the Pi3, so it actually performs quite well when running from a good card.

X-Gen wrote:
And even with the prices of SD cards falling every year (or capacities going up), I would much more prefer to have a slower SSD/emmc drive, than a faster SD card,just for sale of reliability.
Not really sure where you got the idea that SD cards are faster than SSD (hint, they're not). And the "unreliability" of SD cards has been greatly exaggerated. Lots of people here have been running the same SD card in their Pi for years (including myself, in a Minecraft server that's been online since 2017).

X-Gen wrote:
Emmc have better error correction than SD cards.
And SSD is even better. Last year SSD prices had fallen to be comparable with SD cards in the 128-256GB range, and SSD actually costs less in larger capacities. Prices have gone up a little recently, but it's still pretty close. My 4B2 in the picture linked above is running from a SATA-III SSD with a USB 3.0 to SATA-III adapter cable, which works great. It ran with /boot on SD card and / (main OS) on SSD until recently, and now it boots totally cardless with the beta firmware.

So, no, we don't need EMMC (and never really did).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat May 30, 2020 10:25 am

X-Gen wrote:
We've had a number of posts recently, here and on the blog comments, that start like this. "I've read that..." and then some information that is completely wrong. Where are they reading this stuff? Are they just spammers looking for a way in? Are these serious questions that somehow we have failed to answer in our official documentation? Are they competitors trying to throw 'shade'? All very bewildering.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

bomblord

Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm

jamesh wrote:
X-Gen wrote:
We've had a number of posts recently, here and on the blog comments, that start like this. "I've read that..." and then some information that is completely wrong. Where are they reading this stuff? Are they just spammers looking for a way in? Are these serious questions that somehow we have failed to answer in our official documentation? Are they competitors trying to throw 'shade'? All very bewildering.
Tom's hardware put out an article claiming 64 bit Raspberry Pi OS broke USB booting
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspb ... sb-booting
Last edited by bomblord on Sat May 30, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendek

Sat May 30, 2020 12:24 pm

bomblord wrote:
Tom's hardware put out an article claiming 64 bit Raspberry Pi OS broke USB booting
The new Raspberry Pi OS beta uses incompatible *.elf files that will cause a USB boot drive not to boot anymore. The solution is to grab the older *.elf and *.dat files from Raspberry Pi's May 22nd firmware github repo.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 30, 2020 12:34 pm

X-Gen wrote:

The main issue is that slow as cards, hamper the Pi's performance. And even with the prices of SD cards falling every year (or capacities going up), I would much more prefer to have a slower SSD/emmc drive, than a faster SD card,just for sale of reliability. Emmc have better error correction than SD cards.

USB to SATA is good enough and at under $10 far easier then adding additional electronics and cost to the next board release..
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machine is a ChromeBox

X-Gen

Sat May 30, 2020 8:37 pm

jamesh wrote:
X-Gen wrote:
Well, blame Google news for that. They suggest tech articles like that.

And in reference to bootable USB drives, I was under the impression that the 3B+ did boot from USB.
I have had it boot a few times from USB myself by pulling the SD card while booting.

jamesh

Sat May 30, 2020 8:44 pm

bomblord wrote:
jamesh wrote:
X-Gen wrote:
Not really surprising if people insist of doing two beta test things at once....

Sure we will sort it out fairly quickly, but there only 24 hours in a day.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

W. H. Heydt

Sat May 30, 2020 8:48 pm

X-Gen wrote:
Where did you read that? When launched, that was true, but the beta test of the feature started about a week ago.
There were 1.75 million Pis sold in the first quarter of 2020. That's a rate of 7 million a year. Adding such a feature means adding it to 7+ million Pis....every year, and most people will never use it. So it's an added cost for a very few users.

Personally, I haven't had any reliability problems with SD cards. I use other media when I want more space or *better* expected lifetime, or speed than an SD card can provide. I generally switch to SSDs, but I do have a Pi running from an HDD, as well.

If you really want eMMC storage, get a Compute Module. Of course, you'll also need a carrier board to go with...but that's just a price you'll have to pay to get what you want.
Nothing is stopping you from running any Pi from an SSD. On some Pis, you have to do it as a hybrid boot (/boot on the SD, / on the other device), but it can be done and it's not difficult.

W. H. Heydt

Sat May 30, 2020 8:55 pm

X-Gen wrote:
And in reference to bootable USB drives, I was under the impression that the 3B+ did boot from USB.
As delivered from the factory, yes. There is an easy change that can be made to the Pi3B and Pi2Bv1.2 to achieve the same end.
I have had it boot a few times from USB myself by pulling the SD card while booting.
That is a *really* bad practice. If you've been doing that, no wonder you think SD cards are "unreliable". The way to do it is to put the /boot partition on the SD card and have cmdline.txt point to root on the USB attached device. But with a Pi3B+ (or a modified Pi3B or Pi2Bv1.2), you can just put everything on a USB attached device and boot without an SD card at all.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 30, 2020 9:12 pm

X-Gen wrote:
jamesh wrote:
X-Gen wrote:
Well, blame Google news for that. They suggest tech articles like that.

Official Help Pages are a great resource and always the first port of call for information:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machine is a ChromeBox

W. H. Heydt

Sun May 31, 2020 1:06 am

One minor point for the OP, regarding the thread title...you don't *need* an eMMC interface, you *want* an eMMC interface.

Moonmarch

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:12 am

The purpose of the SD card is to be a compact form of computer data storage. eMMC memory drives cannot be upgraded unless you solder the eMMC chip yourself. The eMMC chip is soldered to the board, I'm going to say you were actually referring to a M.2 connector or SATA connector. The M.2, and SATA connectors can use different computer memory drives. This means you can upgrade from a 120 GB storage drive to a 1 TB storage drive. M.2 is supposedly the fastest, and will cost the most. SATA is not as fast compared to M.2. SATA drives are not difficult to find either, and are lower in price compared to M.2 storage drives.

If the RPI computer did support the SATA or M.2 connector, I'm sure the computer would need to be designed from scratch. Yes, the other single board computer companies have M.2 connectors or SATA connectors on their computers. These single board computers are either x86 or x64 computers, I don't know if ARM computers support M.2 or SATA connectors. Other ARM single board computers with higher end hardware are usually more expensive compared to the RPI computer.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:50 am

Moonmarch wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:12 am
The purpose of the SD card is to be a compact form of computer data storage. eMMC memory drives cannot be upgraded unless you solder the eMMC chip yourself. The eMMC chip is soldered to the board, I'm going to say you were actually referring to a M.2 connector or SATA connector. The M.2, and SATA connectors can use different computer memory drives. This means you can upgrade from a 120 GB storage drive to a 1 TB storage drive. M.2 is supposedly the fastest, and will cost the most. SATA is not as fast compared to M.2. SATA drives are not difficult to find either, and are lower in price compared to M.2 storage drives.
There are SBCs that have sockets for removable eMMC devices. The Odriod C1/C2 did that, for instance. M.2 is a complete and utter waste of money for a Pi. No Pi comes anywhere near supporting the transfer rates of M.2 drives. Even a Pi4B can't make full use of SATA-III, though it should be able to hit 70+% of the native transfer rate.
If the RPI computer did support the SATA or M.2 connector, I'm sure the computer would need to be designed from scratch. Yes, the other single board computer companies have M.2 connectors or SATA connectors on their computers. These single board computers are either x86 or x64 computers, I don't know if ARM computers support M.2 or SATA connectors. Other ARM single board computers with higher end hardware are usually more expensive compared to the RPI computer.
Cubieboards came with a SATA connector. It was SATA-II for speed and you needed a special cable, which came the board, but they were ARM boards had it about 6 years ago.

I haven't been keeping track of what various SBCs do or do not have, but there are boards with connectors for at least some of these interfaces. So if the OP *really* wants them, he should hunt around. Of course...he won't get the kind of support available here, but that's the kind of tradeoff one must balance for ones own needs.

X-Gen

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:00 pm

I was actually hoping for emmc, not sata or m.2.
Pre soldered 8GB emmc drives actually work quite well for loading just the os on., with some spare space left for programs.

And use the Microsd card for larger program folders (mount /var in there).

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:15 pm

X-Gen wrote:
Pre soldered 8GB emmc drives actually work quite well for loading just the os on., with some spare space left for programs.

Your timing is impeccable. You can have a Pi4B class system with your choice of 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB of eMMC on the board. What you're looking for is a CM4. See here https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... -module-4/ for the details. They were just launched today.

SonoraTechnical

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:32 pm

the just announced/released CM4 comes with the option of 8, 16, 32GB of eMMC. Like others mentioned, you'll have to puchase the Carrier Board (they call it the IO board, $35). It increases the cost and the foot print, but it gives you a very nice solution. Also the option of an external antena ($5) so that it can be mounted in a metal or heavily shielded enclosure with working wifi connectivity.

I would get it, but it ends up being 3.5" x 6.25", so that's quite large (like 3 RPi4Bs put side by side). However, with all of the connections along one edge, that's kind of a positive thing to the layout.

Basically, CM4/IOBoard combo gives you everything from the RPi4B except USB3 (need to enable the PCIe slot) and the Headphone jack... But it gives you more. Might be fun to try some of my Node-RED projects on a CM4/IOBoard combo....

OS Updates are bit more work with the eMMC as well. I'm kind of waiting to see what Raspberry Pi foundation does with 64bit RPiOS, Boot from USB, and instructions/methods for upgrading the OS on eMMC storage...

Honestly, like you, I'm hoping one day for an eMMC option on the RPi4 ModelB board (maybe a B+) and even an external antena option.
learning never stops...

jamesh

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 pm

SonoraTechnical wrote:
Honestly, like you, I'm hoping one day for an eMMC option on the RPi4 ModelB board (maybe a B+) and even an external antena option.
Both very unlikely to happen.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 pm

SonoraTechnical wrote:
the just announced/released CM4 comes with the option of 8, 16, 32GB of eMMC. Like others mentioned, you'll have to puchase the Carrier Board (they call it the IO board, $35). It increases the cost and the foot print, but it gives you a very nice solution. Also the option of an external antena ($5) so that it can be mounted in a metal or heavily shielded enclosure with working wifi connectivity.

I would get it, but it ends up being 3.5" x 6.25", so that's quite large (like 3 RPi4Bs put side by side). However, with all of the connections along one edge, that's kind of a positive thing to the layout.

Basically, CM4/IOBoard combo gives you everything from the RPi4B except USB3 (need to enable the PCIe slot) and the Headphone jack... But it gives you more. Might be fun to try some of my Node-RED projects on a CM4/IOBoard combo....

OS Updates are bit more work with the eMMC as well. I'm kind of waiting to see what Raspberry Pi foundation does with 64bit RPiOS, Boot from USB, and instructions/methods for upgrading the OS on eMMC storage...

The point of the dev "IO" carrier board is to be something to start from. The intended use of a CM is design a carrier board that fits the requirements of a particular project. The one from the RPF/RPT is a general purpose one just so you have a way to run the CM in the first place.

X-Gen

Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:59 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
X-Gen wrote:

Your timing is impeccable. You can have a Pi4B class system with your choice of 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB of eMMC on the board. What you're looking for is a CM4. See here https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... -module-4/ for the details. They were just launched today.
Earlier today I posted some CM4 questions, mostly for use in a cluster.
So while they're definitely on to something (cluster 2 to 8 boards together), the cpu used in this is still on a 28nm node.

It's great for learning, probably needs some active case fan or so, but not something you'd want to run a compute server from. At least not until they're able to go 12nm or below (6 cpu cores or higher per board).

Would love to see the first company making multi core arm cpus affordable (think 16 to 100 core units).

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 am

X-Gen wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:59 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
X-Gen wrote:

Earlier today I posted some CM4 questions, mostly for use in a cluster.
So while they're definitely on to something (cluster 2 to 8 boards together), the cpu used in this is still on a 28nm node.
It's the same SOC as the Pi4B...for what should be obvious reasons. There won't be a CM on a smaller node until there is a B-series Pi on a smaller node.
It's great for learning, probably needs some active case fan or so, but not something you'd want to run a compute server from. At least not until they're able to go 12nm or below (6 cpu cores or higher per board).
If that's what you want, I hope you're really, really patient. Also...I question your reasoning. Usually what happens is that when a smaller node gets used (speaking generally, not specifically to Broadcom and the RPT) is that the clock speed gets run up and you've got about the same power dissipation, so no real gain. I will say that I'd like to see future generations of Pis limit the increase in clock speed so as to reduce the thermal load, but I have no real expectation that that would be popular enough for them to take that path. I also rather seriously doubt the core count will be increased, at least not for a *very* long time. While there are use cases for more cores, they aren't going to be particularly common for Pis. It's not even clear that the 4 cores of the last three SoCs on Pis are justified on any basis other than it is a typical configuration.
Would love to see the first company making multi core arm cpus affordable (think 16 to 100 core units).
I don't see the market volume to make that worthwhile. Even if the individual SoCs were fairly inexpensive (which is unlikely) to get effective work out of something like that, the DRAM would have to be large enough to be prohibitively expensive for the market niche that SBCs occupy.

lingon

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:44 am

X-Gen wrote:

You can also use eMMC modules with a microSD-eMMC adapter. The advantage is that random I/O performance and durability is better than with regular microSD cards and it will use less power than a SSD. The drawback is that these modules stick out from the case and that the microSD-slot is occupied and the performance is worse compared to a regular SSD.
http://www.uugear.com/product/raspikey- ... pberry-pi/
https://www.pollin.de/p/odroid-n2-emmc- ... nux-811044

X-Gen

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:52 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 am

If that's what you want, I hope you're really, really patient. Also...I question your reasoning. Usually what happens is that when a smaller node gets used (speaking generally, not specifically to Broadcom and the RPT) is that the clock speed gets run up and you've got about the same power dissipation, so no real gain. I will say that I'd like to see future generations of Pis limit the increase in clock speed so as to reduce the thermal load, but I have no real expectation that that would be popular enough for them to take that path. I also rather seriously doubt the core count will be increased, at least not for a *very* long time. While there are use cases for more cores, they aren't going to be particularly common for Pis. It's not even clear that the 4 cores of the last three SoCs on Pis are justified on any basis other than it is a typical configuration.
Yes, on a smaller node (down to about 12nm) you get an increase in frequency. This is only because the connection between transistors is shorter, so a 2Ghz Pi4B will probably be able to hit 4Ghz max on 12nm (28-12nm is 2,3x smaller).
Power consumption on the other hand automatically lowers, even with an increase of frequency.
Sure, one can blast the frequency all the way to 5Ghz, and double the consumption...
But generally, smaller means slightly higher frequency AND more cores, to keep the same power consumption.
Power consumption isn't the problem. Efficiency is.
The Pi4B is about as efficient as an Atom X5 Z8350. The X86 Atom uses 2-3x the power, but is also 2-3x faster, even at 1,6Ghz continuous speed.

I understand the Pi foundation split compatibility of the Pi 4B with their older models.
They want compatibility, but that's not going to happen.
What could happen, is that Broadcom will follow the other manufacturers (AMLogic, TI, Snapdragon, Qualcomm, and others), that are moving on from Big little configurations.
Something Broadcom doesn't yet have. So it's actually VERY likely to see a 6 or 8 core Pi in the near future!
Albeit more aimed towards desktop replacements (like the original reason for the Pi4B.
I don't see the market volume to make that worthwhile. Even if the individual SoCs were fairly inexpensive (which is unlikely) to get effective work out of something like that, the DRAM would have to be large enough to be prohibitively expensive for the market niche that SBCs occupy.
100 cores, yes, that's what I want now.
Then again, I'm also about a decade ahead of the end user.
Most industrial applications don't even use a 100 core ARM CPU.
There are some, but they're scarce.
ARM is able to run 100 cores and at 28nm that would be running at 250W (not that uncommon for modern desktops).
At 12nm, that'll be 75W @ ~2Ghz.

X-Gen

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 am

lingon wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:44 am
X-Gen wrote:

You can also use eMMC modules with a microSD-eMMC adapter. The advantage is that random I/O performance and durability is better than with regular microSD cards and it will use less power than a SSD. The drawback is that these modules stick out from the case and that the microSD-slot is occupied and the performance is worse compared to a regular SSD.
http://www.uugear.com/product/raspikey- ... pberry-pi/
https://www.pollin.de/p/odroid-n2-emmc- ... nux-811044
I didn't know SD to SSD or emmc adaptors existed!
Never seen one before.
Not sure if the interface of a microsd card can be directly forwarded to an SSD.
It would be interesting to try (though I think that microSD cards operate at 3.6V, and SSDs at 5V).

Return to “General discussion”