bullen

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:16 pm

When can we expect the first 64-bit lite version?

Also I get 4 flashes on both 32 and 64 bit... start.elf not launched?!

Why is the world so broken?

no boot code found?

This page is a joke: viewtopic.php?t=58151

Can you make separate pages for all versions of the pi instead?!
[Moderator, I did where it mattered (for the RPI zero and PI4) and no I'm not working for "support", I'm just a volunteer]

Hm, is anyone working with support? viewtopic.php?f=28&t=267393

Where are the old lite releases? Not here: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

Found it: https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/
Last edited by bullen on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
https://github.com/tinspin/rupy - A tiny Java async HTTP application server.

Rascas

Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:25 pm

When it is ready.

xamindar

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 am

Lots of people rely on this project to use for octoprint but I can't get it to work on the 64bit pi os. Can someone assist?
I'm specifically trying to get the input_raspicam.so to work so I can use the official pi camera.
https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer

I can get it to compile by making the following links, but it still segfaults when run:
ln -s /usr/include /opt/vc/
ln -s /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu /opt/vc/lib

Example command after building it:
./mjpg_streamer -i "./input_raspicam.so -fps 5" -o "./output_http.so"

mitchind

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:56 am

xamindar wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 am
Lots of people rely on this project to use for octoprint but I can't get it to work on the 64bit pi os. Can someone assist?
I'm specifically trying to get the input_raspicam.so to work so I can use the official pi camera.
https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer

I can get it to compile by making the following links, but it still segfaults when run:
ln -s /usr/include /opt/vc/
ln -s /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu /opt/vc/lib

Example command after building it:
./mjpg_streamer -i "./input_raspicam.so -fps 5" -o "./output_http.so"
Pretty sure they don't have mmal working yet. So raspivid and raspistill are out. Is that what his raspicam library is using?

xamindar

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:38 am

mitchind wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:56 am

Pretty sure they don't have mmal working yet. So raspivid and raspistill are out. Is that what his raspicam library is using?
Yes I believe it is using mmal. Thanks for the info. I'll go back to the 32bit OS for the time being.

klem

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:44 am

Hello everyone, I managed to boot on a USB disk, now I would like to know if it is possible to boot on a raid 1 (mdadm) which would consist of 2 USB disks ... (and without card SD)

I am not sure that this is technically possible. I have already managed to do it with the boot partition on sd card but it is a hell with the updates

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:27 am

klem wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:44 am
Hello everyone, I managed to boot on a USB disk, now I would like to know if it is possible to boot on a raid 1 (mdadm) which would consist of 2 USB disks ... (and without card SD)

I am not sure that this is technically possible. I have already managed to do it with the boot partition on sd card but it is a hell with the updates
Your post doesn't sound like it's related to testing the 64-bit kernel that this thread is for.
Please create a new thread with your question.

mqzabin

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:14 pm

I'm currently using RPiOS 64bits for a home server, with USB boot. Currently not using any x11 package. Everything works perfectly!
When RPiOS 64bits get released I will need to reinstall it into my system or it'll be possible to do a simple update? The debian buster source list will be removed?
Thank's for the awesome work!

mitchind

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:08 pm

mqzabin wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:14 pm
I'm currently using RPiOS 64bits for a home server, with USB boot. Currently not using any x11 package. Everything works perfectly!
When RPiOS 64bits get released I will need to reinstall it into my system or it'll be possible to do a simple update? The debian buster source list will be removed?
Thank's for the awesome work!
Do you have a POE hat?

esbeeb

Wireguard/lack of kernel headers still a sticking point

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Here is some feedback:
  • I gave the 64bit RPiOS a test on my RPi4 today, worked quite well. No complaints for a basic desktop use case. I was able to update the bootloader firmware to the June 15 release, then boot from a Sandisk Ultra Fit 64GB USB stick, which seems to be 2-3x faster read speed than my MicroSD card. That was all awesome sauce. Much appreciated for this 64bit build! :)
  • Wireguard is important to me, but that's hard to install and keep working across kernel upgrades (say, if there is a security update for the kernel), because there are no official kernel header packages yet. This issue is discussed more in this github bug. So for now, I have a project which I have to keep in Ubuntu 20.04 64bit (and I can't migrate to RPiOS 64bit yet), as wireguard is easy to install, and keep working across kernel upgrades in said Ubuntu.

snoopy87616

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:31 pm

The 64 bit version solved an issue / a limitation of the 32 bit RasPiOS for me: 'Stale file handle' on NFS-Client side, if a FileSytem larger than 8 TB is exported (I just bought a new 12 TB WD)
So, please add this benefit to the 64 Bit OS feature list: Support of NFS FileSytems > 8TB :D

flyingsquirrelarmy

Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Testing Feedback
- Nextcloud Pi works
- SCP on local network is also faster
- Native Boot from SSD working

mitchind

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 am

flyingsquirrelarmy wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:09 pm
Testing Feedback
- Nextcloud Pi works
- SCP on local network is also faster
- Native Boot from SSD working
By any chance do you have a PoE Hat you can test your SSD boot with? Haven't found anyone to confirm this combo works. I've not been able to get it past rainbow screen

ndfred

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:12 am

Any chance we could get a lite image? Looking at the download folder, it looks like the image is the 1GB standard one when the official lite variant is about 430MB. I plan to rebuild my Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB of RAM) home server with ARM64 and a USB SSD, I initially went with Ubuntu Server but Raspbian 64 bit seems like a much better fit.

Another question: what is the recommended way to run 32 bit ARM binaries? I've seen Docker suggested as it can run ARM 32 images on an ARM 64 host, but there might be other possibilities. Mainly interested in running deCONZ which only supports ARM 32 (though their alpha builds are now ARM 64!).

Edit: it looks like lite images are not available, but people have just removed the extra packages. I see lots of people installing Docker or k3s, but mention of using these to run 32 bit ARM packages.

Edit 2: images are generated using pi-gen, the README there suggests lite images go up to stage 2 when the beta ARM 64 image goes up to stage 4. So reversing what gets done in stage 3 and 4 after imaging the SD card would give us a minimal image.

That includes removing:
  • Stage 3 packages: rpi-chromium-mods gstreamer1.0-x gstreamer1.0-omx gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-alsa gstreamer1.0-libav qpdfview gtk2-engines alsa-utils desktop-base git omxplayer raspberrypi-artwork policykit-1 gvfs rfkill chromium-browser rpi-chromium-mods gldriver-test fonts-droid-fallback fonts-liberation2 obconf arandr xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg xinit xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo mousepad lxde lxtask menu-xdg zenity xdg-utils gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse lightdm gnome-themes-standard-data gnome-icon-theme
  • Stage 4 packages: jackd2 python python3-pygame python-pygame python-tk python3 python3-tk thonny python3-pgzero python-serial python3-serial python-picamera python3-picamera debian-reference-en dillo raspberrypi-net-mods raspberrypi-ui-mods python-pip python3-pip python3-numpy pypy alacarte rc-gui sense-hat tree libgl1-mesa-dri libgles1 libgles2-mesa xcompmgr geany piclone wiringpi pigpio python-pigpio python3-pigpio raspi-gpio python-gpiozero python3-gpiozero python3-rpi.gpio python-spidev python3-spidev python-twython python3-twython python-smbus python3-smbus python-flask python3-flask pprompt piwiz rp-prefapps ffmpeg vlc pi-package realvnc-vnc-server python-automationhat python3-automationhat python-blinkt python3-blinkt python-cap1xxx python3-cap1xxx python-drumhat python3-drumhat python-envirophat python3-envirophat python-explorerhat python3-explorerhat python-fourletterphat python3-fourletterphat python-microdotphat python3-microdotphat python-mote python3-mote python-motephat python3-motephat python-phatbeat python3-phatbeat python-pianohat python3-pianohat python-piglow python3-piglow python-rainbowhat python3-rainbowhat python-scrollphat python3-scrollphat python-scrollphathd python3-scrollphathd python-sn3218 python3-sn3218 python-skywriter python3-skywriter python-touchphat python3-touchphat python-buttonshim python3-buttonshim python-unicornhathd python3-unicornhathd python-pantilthat python3-pantilthat hunspell-en-gb hyphen-en-gb wamerican wbritish
And reversing a few scripts (auto login...). That all seems like a lot of hassle, I'll probably wait for the OS to mature and a lite image to be built (I guess I could build it myself too, but at this early stage I'd expect maintainers to put in a few manual tweaks) before I give it a go.

Kendek

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 am

ndfred wrote:
Another question: what is the recommended way to run 32 bit ARM binaries?

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt update
sudo apt install libc6:armhf

ndfred

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:24 am

Kendek wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 am
ndfred wrote:
Another question: what is the recommended way to run 32 bit ARM binaries?

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt update
sudo apt install libc6:armhf
This is perfect, much less hassle than spinning up containers! Would work great for deCONZ, I guess it would increase memory usage as standard libraries for both architectures would be loaded into memory but I suspect this will only be temporary as more 3rd party packages are being made available natively for arm64. Looking forward to the lite image so I can test it all!

Also not strictly related to Raspberry Pi OS but it is 64 bit related, I was able to boot Ubuntu Server 64 bit from my USB drive with no SD card on my Pi 4, I suspect I would have no issues booting Raspberry Pi OS that way too.

joongul

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:42 am

For those asking for the lite version:

I have installed my "lite" version of 64bit OS by using debootstrap to install the minimal debian arm64 system and added raspberrypi-kernel and raspberrypi-bootloader (and rpi-eeprom which is not strictly necessary) from the official raspberry archive. Works fine so far.

huwred

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:26 am

I've been using the 64bit OS since it was released. It is a very usable OS on the 8Gb Pi4. I have installed mono/mondevelop and recompiled an MVC .Net website which is running perfectly on the Pi, no mean feat as the website has a lot of code. I had to make a few small changes to the code base, but is running like a charm

https://mono.themediawizards.co.uk

clicky

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:20 pm

rasp14 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:15 pm
mahjongg wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:08 pm
rasp14 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:26 am
Hi All,

I'm trying out new 64 bit OS released recently. Here is the uname -a output of my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB. Using image with name "2020-05-27-raspios-buster-arm64.zip".

Linux raspberrypi 5.4.42-v8+ #1319 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 20 14:18:56 BST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I came across an issue, when i install docker on my Pi. The file "/sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.stat" is missing and i can't view it within my container. Whereas the file is available in my old version of OS. I'm using an nginx image. Not sure if anyone encounter this issue before, appreciate if anyone can guide me to enable the memory file in container.

Here is the output from my container in 64 bit OS

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo docker run -it --rm --entrypoint sh nginx:1.17.9-alpine
/ # cat /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.stat
cat: can't open '/sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.stat': No such file or directory

Here is the output from my container in old OS.

pi@raspberrypi:~/edge $ sudo docker run -it --rm --entrypoint sh nginx:1.17.9-alpine
/ # cat /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.stat
cache 0
rss 155648
rss_huge 0
shmem 0
mapped_file 0
dirty 0
writeback 0
pgpgin 1353
pgpgout 1345
pgfault 1914
pgmajfault 0
inactive_anon 0
active_anon 77824
inactive_file 0
active_file 0
unevictable 0
hierarchical_memory_limit 8796093018112
total_cache 0
total_rss 155648
total_rss_huge 0
total_shmem 0
total_mapped_file 0
total_dirty 0
total_writeback 0
total_pgpgin 1353
total_pgpgout 1345
total_pgfault 1914
total_pgmajfault 0
total_inactive_anon 0
total_active_anon 77824
total_inactive_file 0
total_active_file 0
total_unevictable 0

Here is the docker info output for 64 bit

Client:
 Debug Mode: false

Server:
 Containers: 0
  Running: 0
  Paused: 0
  Stopped: 0
 Server Version: 19.03.11
 Storage Driver: overlay2
  Backing Filesystem: extfs
  Supports d_type: true
  Native Overlay Diff: true
 Logging Driver: json-file
 Cgroup Driver: cgroupfs
 Plugins:
  Volume: local
  Network: bridge host ipvlan macvlan null overlay
  Log: awslogs fluentd gcplogs gelf journald json-file local logentries splunk syslog
 Swarm: inactive
 Runtimes: runc
 Default Runtime: runc
 Init Binary: docker-init
 containerd version: 7ad184331fa3e55e52b890ea95e65ba581ae3429
 runc version: dc9208a3303feef5b3839f4323d9beb36df0a9dd
 init version: fec3683
 Security Options:
  seccomp
   Profile: default
 Kernel Version: 5.4.42-v8+
 Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
 OSType: linux
 Architecture: aarch64
 CPUs: 4
 Total Memory: 3.709GiB
 Name: raspberrypi
 ID: LUHA:BVBW:VZKJ:RLZR:BAKE:DQ7X:FNL7:7KZD:PM7M:2SIK:WJL4:DIXY
 Docker Root Dir: /var/lib/docker
 Debug Mode: false
 Registry: https://index.docker.io/v1/
 Labels:
 Experimental: false
 Insecure Registries:
  127.0.0.0/8
 Live Restore Enabled: false

WARNING: No memory limit support
WARNING: No swap limit support
WARNING: No kernel memory limit support
WARNING: No kernel memory TCP limit support
WARNING: No oom kill disable support
WARNING: No cpu cfs quota support
WARNING: No cpu cfs period support

Here is the uname -a output of my old OS.

Linux raspberrypi 4.19.75-v7l+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:51:41 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
was posted elsewhere, instead of here, as it should have, quoting it here was the simplest solution
Thanks again for moving my post to here. Hoping someone can help me out on this.
Hi, have you managed to do anything about it?

dhanushx012

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:19 am

What's the plan with it, to keep it in line with the 32bit version or draw a line and spec the Pi3 as minimum and move forward leaving 32bit to run nicely on Pi3 and before since the older Pi are getting increasingly outpaced by the Desktop's needs?

clicky

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 pm

As per https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _folder.md (and https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... xt/boot.md) it seems that Pi 2, Pi 3 and Pi 4 are in scope for 64bit kernel. I'm not sure if PiZero can have 64bit kernel, too (that would be nice to know - I'm sure I've read something somewhere but I forgot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:26 pm

clicky wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 pm
As per https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _folder.md (and https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... xt/boot.md) it seems that Pi 2, Pi 3 and Pi 4 are in scope for 64bit kernel. I'm not sure if PiZero can have 64bit kernel, too (that would be nice to know - I'm sure I've read something somewhere but I forgot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

Regards the 2B only the later version 1.2 has the BCM2837 SoC and therefore will run RaspiOS64 ARM64.

The 1 series and Zero use the BCM2835 ARMv6 SoC so can only run RaspiOS32 ARMHF.

The 2B version 1.1 use the BCM2836 ARMv7 SoC so can only run RaspiOS32 ARMHF.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

dickon

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Note that all the 32b-only products are slated to remain in production until 'at least January 2026' (as per all their product pages under https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/), so expect a 32b OS to be available until at least about 2028, I would expect. What Debian think of that is anyone's guess...

jlgreer1

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 pm

I recently installed RPiOS (64 bit) on an RPi 4 with 4 Gb. The system was upgraded via apt on July 31, 2020.

I am using the install to transition to and learn Arm64 Assembly using the textbook by Stephen Smith.

I have installed vim and emacs. I generally use the terminal mode but shift to the GUI desktop from time to time.

So far, everything I have tried works as expected.

Great job RPi Foundation!
https://faroutscience.com

rclark

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 am

So far so good on PI OS x64. I've it installed on an RPI4-8G loaded on an SD card and now on a RPI4-4G booting from a Samsung T5 500GB SSD (without an SD card installed!). Haven't come up against a real show stopper yet. However, tonight I tried to use fstrim command on the T5 and it says the discard operation is not supported. Only reporting this in case this is a bug. I just figured most USB SSDs would support the trim function. All my desktop internal SSDs seem too (whether M.2 or SATA drives).

So far I have been using the RPI4 boards from SSH and what I've tried it has all worked. Note I haven't tried any GPIO programming yet, but I will at some point.

Return to “General discussion”