rwcooper
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:07 pm

PiUser10 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:56 pm
You will find them at :-

http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/chromium/
Thanks! I got them. I'll try installing only the 3 files on my test system...Randy

digitalecloud
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:17 pm

mistermix wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:12 am
I'm testing the 64-bit version here and removed everything from the desktop packages transforming into a lite version and it's running smoothly
using open media vault + kubernetes k3s, low processing, running several pods and no problems, to run local server is very good, good work.
I signed up here today just to thank u, and I'm waiting for an official Lite image, it could even be beta too :)

Image

Image
- Does it shows the right processor within OMV?

- Docker do not show ram disk usage

rwcooper
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:41 pm

rwcooper wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:07 pm
PiUser10 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:56 pm
You will find them at :-

http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/chromium/
Thanks! I got them. I'll try installing only the 3 files on my test system...Randy
Installing the 3 files you suggested worked great! Thanks...Randy

bingyd
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Trying to revert Chromium to 80

Have downloaded the chromium 80 files into home/pi/Downloads, but when I try the sudo apt install get an error E: unsupported file.
Do I need to load them into another directory or change properties?

PiUser10
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 am

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Make sure you have downloaded the files ending in _arm64.deb (64 bit for beta) and not _armhf.deb (32 bit for non beta)
Then in terminal session change to the directory containing the files (normally Downloads) and run the sudo apt command.
If it still fails the downloaded files must be incomplete or corrupt I guess.

RonR
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: US

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:28 am

Halt and PowerOff are still reversed in 5.4.50:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=275372&start=125#p1682227

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 4607
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:47 am

Chromium 83 sucks for browsing and YT's, 80 was much better.
Time to go back to Gentoo64 until it gets fixed.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

leggazoid
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:42 pm

RealVNC-server arm64 is working now.

The way things are going, the beta will be over soon.

leggazoid
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:47 am
Chromium 83 sucks for browsing and YT's, 80 was much better.
Time to go back to Gentoo64 until it gets fixed.
Do these instuctions work for Raspberry PI OS 64-bit?

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/rpi ... ation.html

User avatar
CaptainMidnight
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:40 pm

Many thanks for fixing RealVNC-server :D
"Never get out of the boat." Absolutely goddamn right!
Unless you were goin' all the way...

shasum
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:13 am

I've been using Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit beta and I can report on a few things.

1.
Packages are mostly out of date. Thunderbird and Firefox in particular. Also rustc.
I had an idea of using the deb packages from ftp.br.debian.org to update Thunderbird but they had dependencies that 64-bit Raspian lacked.

2.
Firefox crashes during Youtube playback pretty often.

3.
Video playback using my preferred Mplayer doesn't work right when using HDMI audio. The audio stutters and then the video stutters. However when I use analog audio it works fine.

4.
I get a general feeling that everything is slightly faster under 64-bit Raspbian than under 32-bit.

5.
There seems to be no way to set the log-in screen to left-handed mouse.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 4607
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:53 am

Chromium 83 is extremely painful to use, I had no problem with 80.
Is there a way to roll back with apt-get update?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

PiUser10
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 am

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:00 am

Yes just look back earlier in this thread and you will find all the details that I have posted on how to regress
to the chromium browser version 80 which a number of users have already done.

P.S. there is no simple way I found to use apt update directly as the repositories do not appear to have the
required files for version 80 directly anymore.

Model B
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:36 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:28 am

I think the Pi team have been busy tinkering because chromium seems to work again..

Nice to have a newer chromium version too.

PiUser10
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 am

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 am

I can find no evidence that any changes have been made to either version 80 or version 83
they appear to be both supplied directly from the Debian repositories and not the Raspbian ones.
Also when I run

sudo apt list chromium
Listing... Done
chromium/stable 83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u1 arm64 [upgradable from: 80.0.3987.162-1~deb10u1]
chromium/stable,stable 80.0.3987.162-1~deb10u1 armhf

It still only shows upgrade to version 83 from version 80 [which I installed manually] (unless that version 83
sub release is a new one from Debian with a fix in it)

Also running

sudo apt list rpi-chromium-mods
Listing... Done
rpi-chromium-mods/testing,now 20200611 arm64 [installed]
rpi-chromium-mods/testing 20200611 armhf

shows no update to the Rpi supplied mods for chromium.

I am at a loss to explain what has changed on your system to make version 83 now appear to work.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 24034
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:09 am

PiUser10 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 am
I can find no evidence that any changes have been made to either version 80 or version 83
they appear to be both supplied directly from the Debian repositories and not the Raspbian ones.
Also when I run

sudo apt list chromium
Listing... Done
chromium/stable 83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u1 arm64 [upgradable from: 80.0.3987.162-1~deb10u1]
chromium/stable,stable 80.0.3987.162-1~deb10u1 armhf

It still only shows upgrade to version 83 from version 80 [which I installed manually] (unless that version 83
sub release is a new one from Debian with a fix in it)

Also running

sudo apt list rpi-chromium-mods
Listing... Done
rpi-chromium-mods/testing,now 20200611 arm64 [installed]
rpi-chromium-mods/testing 20200611 armhf

shows no update to the Rpi supplied mods for chromium.

I am at a loss to explain what has changed on your system to make version 83 now appear to work.


Last week had an update of chromium-browser via APT:

"Version 83.0.4103.116 (Developer Build) built on Debian 10.4, running on Debian 10.4 (64-bit)"

This morning an update via APT:

"chromium/stable 83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u2 arm64 [upgradable from: 83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u1]"
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

whiteshepherd
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:57 pm

Not so much a bug. But the 64bit I suspect though faster must require more power? On the 32 bit Pi OS I can run two Samsung 860 SSD Pro hard drives off the two USB ports just fine. On the 64bit if I do heavy usage on both drives then one or two of the drives will randomly "disappear" and not be seen by the Pi. Running vcgencmd get_throttled after a disconnect gets: throttled=0x0

Also on the 64bit version of Pi OS my two drives randomly swap places on the /dev/sdX . For example my boot drive one boot will be /dev/sda then next reboot it's on /dev/sdb with my secondary drive jumping to /dev/sda. They just randomly dance around each reboot so never know what they will be. Don't break anything as I use UUID. But still odd.

shasum
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Another bug:
The panel has crashed on a few occasions, then tries to restart 4 or 5 times and each time crashes again, then gives up.
Today it happened immediately when I tried to add the CPU Temperature item.

shasum
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:31 pm

Bug:
The latest Mplayer source code from their website does not compile.
There are some missing #define's to do with Aarch64 if I recall.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 24034
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:45 pm

shasum wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:31 pm
Bug:
The latest Mplayer source code from their website does not compile.
There are some missing #define's to do with Aarch64 if I recall.

Why not install mplayer from the repositories:

https://packages.debian.org/buster/mplayer
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

trejan
Posts: 2472
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:46 pm

whiteshepherd wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:57 pm
Not so much a bug. But the 64bit I suspect though faster must require more power? On the 32 bit Pi OS I can run two Samsung 860 SSD Pro hard drives off the two USB ports just fine. On the 64bit if I do heavy usage on both drives then one or two of the drives will randomly "disappear" and not be seen by the Pi. Running vcgencmd get_throttled after a disconnect gets: throttled=0x0
It isn't anything to do with 64-bit operation. You need a powered USB hub as your SSDs are rated for 2.2W average but 4.5W peak power consumption. 4.5W is 0.9A at 5V which means two of those SSDs together would far exceed the 1.2A available in total across all the USB ports.

idpitt
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:28 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:34 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:09 am
PiUser10 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 am
I can find no evidence that any changes have been made to either version 80 or version 83
they appear to be both supplied directly from the Debian repositories and not the Raspbian ones.
Also when I run

sudo apt list chromium
Listing... Done
chromium/stable 83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u1 arm64 [upgradable from: 80.0.3987.162-1~deb10u1]
chromium/stable,stable 80.0.3987.162-1~deb10u1 armhf

It still only shows upgrade to version 83 from version 80 [which I installed manually] (unless that version 83
sub release is a new one from Debian with a fix in it)

Also running

sudo apt list rpi-chromium-mods
Listing... Done
rpi-chromium-mods/testing,now 20200611 arm64 [installed]
rpi-chromium-mods/testing 20200611 armhf

shows no update to the Rpi supplied mods for chromium.

I am at a loss to explain what has changed on your system to make version 83 now appear to work.


Last week had an update of chromium-browser via APT:

"Version 83.0.4103.116 (Developer Build) built on Debian 10.4, running on Debian 10.4 (64-bit)"

This morning an update via APT:

"chromium/stable 83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u2 arm64 [upgradable from: 83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u1]"
The *deb10u2 version did run faster than the deb10u1 install from the other day but crapped out after a minute or two. The browser just exited and closed without warning on an otherwise idle system. Back to v80 for the time being.

mitchind
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:11 am

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:07 pm

Is anyone successfully running PoE hat with bootable USB drive?
I'm using Rpi4B with 4GB

Mine boots fine with PoE hat installed but only when powered thru normal USB-C connection

If I try to power thru the PoE I get a rainbow screen and 7 flashing green lights

Code: Select all

pi@picam:~ $ uname -a
Linux picam 5.4.50-v8+ #1324 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 1 17:13:08 BST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Code: Select all

$ sudo rpi-eeprom-update
BCM2711 detected
Dedicated VL805 EEPROM detected
BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
CURRENT: Mon 15 Jun 2020 01:36:19 PM UTC (1592228179)
LATEST: Mon 15 Jun 2020 01:36:19 PM UTC (1592228179)
FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable
VL805: up-to-date
CURRENT: 000137ad
LATEST: 000137ad

rwcooper
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: STICKY: Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version feedback

Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:27 pm

leggazoid wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:42 pm
RealVNC-server arm64 is working now.

The way things are going, the beta will be over soon.
I installed tightvncserver and xtightvncviewer. They appear to be working fine. Using the file command I see: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, ARM aarch64.

Return to “General discussion”