RaspbianUser1

rpi-imager on raspbian

Mon May 25, 2020 8:08 pm

So I installed the rpi-imager from the downloads section on this site and installed it with the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt install /path/to/file.deb 
and found out its a program you can just install with the sudo apt install rpi-imager

I have the tool running but haven't tested it because I haven't got anything to test *yet*.

Does this work on a raspberry pi this tool, has anyone tried

Also there the pic is the tool running on my rpi4b

All of the tabs choices work but I am not willing to format my usb in my pi as it has data and I can't find a spare to test

TL:DR does the imager from the pi website work on raspberry pi to create another sd card to boot from
Attachments
Imager.png
Imager.png (25.99 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Running Raspberry Pi OS Full, therefore my comments will be based on that
Using RPI-4B 4GB at 2GHz CPU and 700MHz GPU
don't format your sd because someone said so.
Or put your favourite cutlery into your nearest outlet (May result in death) ;)

RaspbianUser1

Re: rpi-imager on raspbian

Mon May 25, 2020 10:52 pm

Bump

HawaiianPi

Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 pm

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:08 pm
TL:DR does the imager from the pi website work on raspberry pi to create another sd card to boot from
Don't see why it wouldn't, but why didn't you just give it a try and answer your own question?

Anyway... yes, it does work, and it's pretty fast on a Pi4's USB 3.0 port. I didn't time it, compared to my Win10 laptop, but it felt similar in an armchair sort of measurement (meaning, it's probably not the same, but it's close enough that you may not notice).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

kerry_s

Tue May 26, 2020 12:10 am

yes it works i use it all the time.
i install from apt, it's in the repo.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install rpi-imager

RaspbianUser1

Tue May 26, 2020 12:37 am

Thanks, bigger thanks for testing it, getting new microsd card and usb adapter and just wanted to know if I could use it on the pi without external other PC

kerry_s

Tue May 26, 2020 2:04 am

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
Thanks, bigger thanks for testing it, getting new microsd card and usb adapter and just wanted to know if I could use it on the pi without external other PC
yes, that's its purpose.
i recommend if using it often, to just download the raspbian versions your going to use. on the bottom you select custom then select what you have downloaded, much faster than downloading every time.

RaspbianUser1

Tue May 26, 2020 3:06 am

kerry_s wrote:
RaspbianUser1 wrote:
yes, that's its purpose.
i recommend if using it often, to just download the raspbian versions your going to use. on the bottom you select custom then select what you have downloaded, much faster than downloading every time.
Yep might use the spare sd card for messing around with raspbian, with no consequences

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 26, 2020 7:42 am

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:06 am
kerry_s wrote:
RaspbianUser1 wrote:
yes, that's its purpose.
Yep might use the spare sd card for messing around with raspbian, with no consequences
FWIW, I've been using it for quite some time on a "dedicated" P3A+:
https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... Aplus.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 26, 2020 12:05 pm

kerry_s wrote:
RaspbianUser1 wrote:
yes, that's its purpose.
You should not need to do that. It will cache downloaded files, so if there is no change to the upstream version it won't download again, it will just use the cached copy.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

andrum99

Tue May 26, 2020 1:47 pm

jamesh wrote:
kerry_s wrote:
RaspbianUser1 wrote:
yes, that's its purpose.
You should not need to do that. It will cache downloaded files, so if there is no change to the upstream version it won't download again, it will just use the cached copy.
It only caches one image, so if you download more than one image you will end up downloading them again when you switch from one to the other. I use the same system kerry_s described and it saves having to re-download the images.

hackedmacbook111

Tue May 26, 2020 2:01 pm

Actually It runs better than balena etcher on my raspberry pi 4 4GB model as an x86 application being emulated by box86

jamesh

Tue May 26, 2020 2:03 pm

andrum99 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
kerry_s wrote:

yes, that's its purpose.
It only caches one image, so if you download more than one image you will end up downloading them again when you switch from one to the other. I use the same system kerry_s described and it saves having to re-download the images.
Really? I'll see if that can be fixed up. Although there might be a reason why it does that.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm

jamesh wrote:
andrum99 wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Really? I'll see if that can be fixed up. Although there might be a reason why it does that.
Yes, indeed that is the case, and it also only caches if there is 5GB (after download) of extra space.

andrum99

Tue May 26, 2020 3:26 pm

jamesh wrote:
jamesh wrote:
andrum99 wrote:

Yes, indeed that is the case, and it also only caches if there is 5GB (after download) of extra space.
That wasn't a complaint from me by the way. I think the current caching arrangement is correct. If Imager was to cache more than one image, you would want some extra logic to help it manage disk space, and probably some extra UI as well. I'm not sure that would be justified, given the idea is to have a tool that is as easy-to-use as possible.

jamesh

Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 pm

andrum99 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:26 pm
jamesh wrote:
jamesh wrote:

That wasn't a complaint from me by the way. I think the current caching arrangement is correct. If Imager was to cache more than one image, you would want some extra logic to help it manage disk space, and probably some extra UI as well. I'm not sure that would be justified, given the idea is to have a tool that is as easy-to-use as possible.
This is one of the main reasons why it is as it is - to reduce complexity for first time users.

iarpi

Tue May 26, 2020 7:31 pm

rpi-imager on my pi is a home run.

When I saw the news about the imager for other oses I was not interested. Etcher was enough on Windows or Mac.

I discovered that it was available in Raspbian while playing with some images per the custom burn-n boot thread. Using rpi-imager on my pi has completed my pi ecosystem for any and all binary distros.

If you know why you need the last option, you know. Keep it simple.

Thanks.

Return to “General discussion”