Sn0wCr45h

Chromium UI Scaling

Sun May 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Trying to increase the UI scaling for Chromium, or increase the size of the address bar.

I have Raspbian displaying on a TV and when it is set to 1080p I have to scale a lot of elements up to make them readable from where I'm sitting. Everything can be scaled up to a good size, but the one thing that I cannot get to a good size is the Chromium address bar.

Totally not a problem if I set the resolution to 720p, but I'd much rather run the display at 1080p.

I've had a good search around the net trying to find answers on this and the closest thing I found was for editing the chromium-browser.desktop file on an aging version of Ubuntu. Unfortunately the suggested line to edit was for Chrome doesn't seem to be there for Chromium on Raspbian.

Have adjusted the font sizes in Raspbian and also the font sizes and scaling in Chromium, but neither of these change the address bar, which is basically so small it's a real strain on the eyes to read / type into.

Flozz

Re: Chromium UI Scaling

Sun May 24, 2020 5:41 pm

Edit your start parameter:

Code: Select all

chromium-browser --force-device-scale-factor=2.0 %U
You can increase the device-scale-factor, too.

mooblie

Sun May 24, 2020 6:20 pm

On Raspbian Desktop, have you tried Preferences menu: Raspberry Pi Configuration: Display: Pixel Doubling?

It will affect the display size of everything, and you may have to set a lot of the things you've already done back to "normal" but it works well for me on a large HD TV screen across the living room.

You can put your TV back to 1080p too.

Sn0wCr45h

Sun May 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Flozz wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:41 pm
Edit your start parameter:
Thanks, that's totally what I was looking for.

Sn0wCr45h

Sun May 24, 2020 6:27 pm

mooblie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:20 pm
On Raspbian Desktop, have you tried Preferences menu: Raspberry Pi Configuration: Display: Pixel Doubling?

It will affect the display size of everything, and you may have to set a lot of the things you've already done back to "normal" but it works well for me on a large HD TV screen across the living room.

You can put your TV back to 1080p too.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes I had tried pixel doubling, but it was way too over the top for what I needed. I was after about a 25% increase rather than a 100% increase.

hwissing

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Browsing with chromium on a 4k monitor is no fun. Here address-line is also too tiny. The command given increases all, so the bookmark line is much too big now. Isn't there a method to adapt font size in the addressline?

Return to “General discussion”