Reda2

How can you make a custom raspberry pi car chassis?

Sat May 23, 2020 6:17 pm

I am working on a Raspberry Pi car project, and I am at the point where I need to make it very specific. So far I have been using a Raspberry Pi car kits that are found everywhere, but they come with so many things that are not useful for me and don't meet my exact needs in terms of shape and size. So I want to build my own car chassis for custom wheels etc. Where can I get this done? Will I have to create a 3D model of my design and send it to a 3D printing service and get it printed, or how does this work exactly. How do people do it when it comes to creating your own car chassis for the Raspberry Pi.

Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

tipam

Re: How can you make a custom raspberry pi car chassis?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:19 am

You can create a chassis the good old fashioned way by cutting ply and fixing parts to it.

However, taking the 3D printer route would require you to model it in 3D using something like Blender (Blender.org).

I wouldn't recommend sending your design to a print service (unless money is no object) and it might take several attempts to get it right.

Instead, buy a 3D printer, such as a Creality Ender 3 (£180-£300), some PLA 1kg (£20) and prototype your own 3D printed chassis.

It's a lot of fun and quite rewarding! :mrgreen:

Ps. take a look at https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=ca ... t=relevant and see if there's anything you like

or buy a cheap one from eBay ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Robot- ... 0903.m5276
Raspberry Pi == small computer == big dreams

Heater

Re: How can you make a custom raspberry pi car chassis?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:59 am

Reda2 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:17 pm
So I want to build my own car chassis for custom wheels etc. Where can I get this done?
What an odd question. All my life if I wanted something like that done I did it myself. Unless it was a design for a production run.

I'm old school. Get some bits of wood and/or hard board. Invest in some hand tools, a saw, a drill, screw drivers and such. Start hacking out your design my hand. Could even use plastic sheet.

What do you want to spend your money and time on? Building a car or buying a 3D printer and learning to use it?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”