W. H. Heydt

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 USB mass storage beta

Fri May 22, 2020 4:27 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:10 am
I guess it's worth reminding people that this is a BETA release. You should not be using it on any critical systems, you should be expecting problems, and you will find deficiencies in the documentation.
Hence my choice of "ddc4test" as the first Pi4B to install this on. "ddc4A" and "ddc4B" (the "live" servers, there are two to support a replicated database) will wait until the firmware is at least stable, and probably until it is critical. Converting "pidrive" (after waiting a couple of days) was more of a risk, but I think that is an uncommon configuration and should be tested. Fortunately, all is well.

BRX7

Fri May 22, 2020 5:16 pm

lingon wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:11 pm
I had used quite a few of the previous eeprom beta versions, so initially my Raspberry Pi 4 was doing a SD-boot and then trying to infinitely do a PXE boot. I set explicitly

Code: Select all

NET_BOOT_MAX_RETRIES=0
in the boot configuration file and flashed the eeprom once more. After doing that I got the USB MSD boot working fine.

An old Kingston MobileLite G2 SD-reader works, but it is indeed very slow as you suggested.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 090c:6300 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.)
My Crucial 500 GB BX100 SSD in a LC-Power LC-25U3-C2 disk enclosure boots fine and works well with the ASM 235 chipset.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. Name: ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge, ASM1153E SATA 6Gb/s bridge
[ 1.538416] usb 2-2: Product: ASM235
[ 1.538430] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: ASMT
Thank you very much for this nice work!
Sounds like what i am getting, ive been updating to latest beta eeproms religiously , can you tell me how you went about editing the config inside bootcode?

cyclic

Fri May 22, 2020 5:19 pm

There was no hardware history of issues but I did try another keyboard,
I believe that as all issues disappeared when I used
"SD Card Copier" on raspbian create the T5 USB drive from the live 5.4 on SD
and that this is a software issue.
I did not see any indication that this was a hardware issue.

When it hung at the welcome wizard there was no net.
Unfortunately I did not have a console cable setup to hand.

With the clone approach, all is now working and rock solid on the T5 - TB.

HawaiianPi

Fri May 22, 2020 5:25 pm

BRX7 wrote:
... can you tell me how you went about editing the config inside bootcode?
That's linked in the very first post of this thread:
raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711_bootloader_config.md
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

cr0sis

Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi,
I've been trying to get this working all afternoon and I've followed the guide 4 times and I'm still no further... This happens every time I get to the end and do the final reboot, unplug SD card and pray.

What have I missed? Startech adapter, ocz vertex SSD, using the in pi "sd card copier" to clone active to USB and I can't find a fixup4rc.dat in any of my files anywhere or on the github master branch. Thanks in advance, im tearing my hair out.

cr0sis

Hi,
I've been trying to get this working all afternoon and I've followed the guide 4 times and I'm still no further... This happens every time I get to the end and do the final reboot, unplug SD card and pray.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZtoQDM ... sp=sharing

What have I missed? Startech adapter, ocz vertex SSD, using the in pi "sd card copier" to clone active to USB and I can't find a fixup4rc.dat in any of my files anywhere or on the github master branch. Thanks in advance, im tearing my hair out.

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri May 22, 2020 6:19 pm

cr0sis wrote:
Hi,

It looks as though you are using NOOBs which doesn't support USB mass storage boot yet. fixup4rc.dat is not relevant, the bootloader has just detected that recover.elf is an old binary which doesn't support USB MSD and refuses to load it in order to spare you a mysterious black screen of death :)

If you look at the original post then I recommend using a blank SD card with vanilla Raspbian then running rpi-update to get the firmware. That's the simplest method for getting something working, afterwards you will find it easier to get other distros working.
I did test it with NOOBs but had to patch recovery.elf, start.elf in the boot partition and fixup fstab and cmdline.txt so quite a lot of faff

yofa

Fri May 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Good evening and thanks to Raspberry dev team for this.

It 's working with me, I already used SSD for root but not for bootloading. Now I don't have anymore SD card in reader. Looking for a dumb plastic card for protecting the SC card reader from dust now ;)

There is the good.

There is also an issue (there is always one?)
When "sudo reboot", the Raspberry pi never boot and is hanged on screening errors on sdcard and MSD usb. I have a TV connected, but not all the time
I have a button to cut the power, and just after it works.
I have no idea why,
* running my SSD on UGREEN 3.0 and 3.1 adapter, same issue.
* I had also a USB 3.1 sabrent adapter, but same issue (understood this one was not a good one)

Didn't tried on USB 2 USB port, I'm not buying SSD for using it on USB 2.0 adapter ;)
I don' have any serial cable (and honestly threw them in the trash since my graduation 20 years before), maybe because may last computer with COM serial port was Pentium MMX :D
I can also afford one if needed, but for me it's a little regression (remembering my 56Kbps modem, gosh that's a long time...) and don't really know hom I will connect on my laptop with not even a PS/2 connectic

I would say that "reboot" command is really needfull, and needing to manually switch of the pi is not an option for me (lazy guy, plus need to reboot from outside the house)

cr0sis

Fri May 22, 2020 7:05 pm

timg236 wrote:
cr0sis wrote:
Hi,

It looks as though you are using NOOBs which doesn't support USB mass storage boot yet. fixup4rc.dat is not relevant, the bootloader has just detected that recover.elf is an old binary which doesn't support USB MSD and refuses to load it in order to spare you a mysterious black screen of death :)

If you look at the original post then I recommend using a blank SD card with vanilla Raspbian then running rpi-update to get the firmware. That's the simplest method for getting something working, afterwards you will find it easier to get other distros working.
I did test it with NOOBs but had to patch recovery.elf, start.elf in the boot partition and fixup fstab and cmdline.txt so quite a lot of faff
Thank you so much, there's no fixing stupid. All working now following this glaring oversight!

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm

cr0sis wrote:
timg236 wrote:
cr0sis wrote:
Hi,

Thank you so much, there's no fixing stupid. All working now following this glaring oversight!
Great thanks for re-testing it, we are getting some really useful feedback and there will be a bootloader update Tuesday/Wednesday to fix a few things. On that note, I'll be offline until then so apologies in advance if you don't get a quick reply! Hopefully, by then Amazon will have delivered by SATA USB bridge test devices which could be entertaining :)

timg236

timg236 wrote:
cr0sis wrote:
timg236 wrote:

Great thanks for re-testing it, we are getting some really useful feedback and there will be a bootloader update Tuesday/Wednesday to fix a few things. On that note, I'll be offline until then so apologies in advance if you don't get a quick reply! Hopefully, by then Amazon will have delivered my SATA USB bridge test devices which could be entertaining :)

pepeEL

Fri May 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi
I try it on my RPI4 with ISB Orico mSATA case USB 3.0. I done it step by step as write in first post but for me not working. Raspbian lite still blinking led on USB3.0 case Orico , but when try Home Assistant Hassos operating system it no boot.

Anybody help me please... or wite more explaine manual step by step... thanks.

bunklung

Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:47 pm
CypherOz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 pm
Once having got the USB boot working...

? how does one clone and existing SD card onto a USB device so I don't have to reinstall/reconfigure a bunch of stuff?

Thanks in advance

Raspbian Buster with Desktop includes SD Card Copier which will work with MSD's
It would be nice if there was a guide when this comes out of beta on how to migrate from your current SD card to an SSD.

RonR

Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm

CypherOz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 pm
? how does one clone and existing SD card onto a USB device so I don't have to reinstall/reconfigure a bunch of stuff?

One you have updated your Raspberry Pi 4 bootloader (rpi-eeprom-update) and firmware (rpi-update), simply run usb-boot, answering 'No' to 'Use SD card to boot the USB device?'.

When usb-boot completes, you should be able to shutdown, remove the SD card, and boot directly to the USB device.

HawaiianPi

Fri May 22, 2020 9:18 pm

pepeEL wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:35 pm
Hi
I try it on my RPI4 with ISB Orico mSATA case USB 3.0. I done it step by step as write in first post but for me not working. Raspbian lite still blinking led on USB3.0 case Orico , but when try Home Assistant Hassos operating system it no boot.

Anybody help me please... or wite more explaine manual step by step... thanks.
This is still a beta (testing) feature, and Raspbian OS installed from an image is the only OS that will work. Other operating systems will need to add support for USB boot (or will require a great deal of effort and knowledge to hack), and a complete guide won't likely be available until after this feature is fully implemented.

Your enclosure may not work, or may require additional steps to make it work. In my testing of a variety of different USB 3.0 enclosures and adapter cables I found that most of the ones based on ASMedia controller chips worked, as well as one with a Norelsys 1068X controller. None with VIA or JMicron controllers worked for me, but I think the JMicron ones could be fixed, although more troubleshooting is needed.

EDIT: Got my JMicron based adapter cables and enclosures working, see my post below.
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Sat May 23, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ehem

Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 pm

timg236 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 am
As with Pi 3 the bootloader enumerates USB devices and when it finds a mass storage device it checks if the partition defined by the PM_RSTS register is present, FAT. It then processes config.txt and start.elf before booting or proceeding to the next device.

There is deliberately nothing to control the USB enumeration order or define physical topologies for bootable devices in the EEPROM because that generates far too many support issues when people get it wrong. Forcing an enumeration order slow down boot so that's also been ruled out.
There are already enough hooks (e.g. config.txt filters) to hide a Pi bootable partition.
I'm mostly concerned about end-user goofs, or simply accidentally inserting an extra USB stick too early. Problem with random order is you can never be quite sure what went wrong.

Note for a long time the common type of computer virus was the boot sector virus. Despite requiring the infected medium to be inserted at boot time to spread, that was still good enough for a number of early computer viruses to spread.
timg236 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 am
Some experimental native GPT support was added for USB boot mode only. The start.elf SD file-system will need some work to properly support GPT only boot there.
EFI / GPT allows lots of configurations which won't work without a lot of work and some which will never work on Pi 4. Fortunately, most of these are of little interest to anyone. Once the SD card stuff is working I'll update some docs to say what is supported for ROM + bootloader + start.elf
Code first, docs later ;)
That is one approach. Guessing you're not going to give any information on your goal for GPT support is.

I think the approaches I've suggested on this thread are pretty worthwhile. Using a newly allocated UUID for the GPT type is a more reliable target than the MBR partition type byte. If multiple matching entries are found, check the Id field and look for a variant 1, version 1 UUID which matches the host; in case of match use that, otherwise try to avoid ones which have a variant 1, version 1 UUID. May be useful to be able to force use of such a matching entry to for devices where there is risk from incorrect USB sticks being inserted.

AndyOfLinux

Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 pm

Expanding the root filesystem on the external USB HD or SSD:

OK, if you managed to get boot working from an external USB key/HD/SSD, you may be stuck with a root filesystem the (original image) size from your booted SD Card. You can NOT use raspi-config to expand :(

First boot from your configured SD Card. THEN plugin the external USB device. You can use the app, "gparted" to change partition sizes. Do a "sudo apt install gparted" on Rasbpian (need Raspbian with GUI!). After install, you will have a new app under "System Tools" named "GParted" Run this to modify new root partition on your USB drive. My SSD was found at /dev/sda2. You need to unmount this (right-click & unmount). Select the partition after being unmounted and resize/expand by dragging the partition size bar (in the top window UI) all the way to the right. You'll see the size being updated. Save the change, shutdown, remove the SD Card and reboot from your USB device - you'll now have the full space for the root filesystem.

User beware! Try this at your own risk... other disclaimers go here ;)

- Andy

BRX7

Fri May 22, 2020 10:05 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:25 pm
BRX7 wrote:
... can you tell me how you went about editing the config inside bootcode?
That's linked in the very first post of this thread:
raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711_bootloader_config.md
Many thanks.
Can confirm that works , i got a very fast bootup on manjaro arm,
Here is my
vcgencmd bootloader_config
[all]
BOOT_UART=0
WAKE_ON_GPIO=1
POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=0
DHCP_TIMEOUT=45000
DHCP_REQ_TIMEOUT=4000
TFTP_FILE_TIMEOUT=30000
ENABLE_SELF_UPDATE=1
DISABLE_HDMI=0
SD_BOOT_MAX_RETRIES=1
USB_MSD_BOOT_MAX_RETRIES=1
NET_BOOT_MAX_RETRIES=0
BOOT_ORDER=0xf41

Note i had router dhcp reserving the mac address of pi lan port, may it had ip address issues interferring with net boot.
I also had installed old beta eeproms , so wasn’t an upgrade from ciritcal eeprom.

RonR

Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 pm

AndyOfLinux wrote:
OK, if you managed to get boot working from an external USB key/HD/SSD, you may be stuck with a root filesystem the (original image) size from your booted SD Card. You can NOT use raspi-config to expand :(

Yes you can:: raspi-config-usb

AndyOfLinux

Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 pm

RonR wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 pm
AndyOfLinux wrote:

Yes you can:: raspi-config-usb
Well, I stand corrected :shock: Thanks for the link!

HawaiianPi

Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am

Adding quirks for the JMicron chips used in the Sabrent and generic USB 3.0 to SATA-III adapter cables and enclosures got them working. My 4B2 boots fine with the quirks added to the beginning of /boot/cmdline.txt (usb-storage.quirks=152d:0578:u,152d:1561:u).

Quirk 152d:0578:u is for many common adapter cables and enclosures with JMicron controller chips.
Quirk 152d:1561:u is for a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA-III adapter cable.

With those quirks in place my JMicron controller based enclosures and adapter cables now cold boot and reboot correctly.

So as I suspected from what I was observing on the UART output, the bootloader was working and problems with the JMicron based adapters were happening after that stage, when the Linux UAS enabled drivers were in use. Adding quirks disables UAS and uses the USB mass storage protocol (which is also what the bootloader uses). This will reduce performance somewhat, but it should still be much faster than an SD card.

If you're having trouble USB booting, check the VID:PID of your adapter or enclosure, and if it matches one of the above the quirks should help.

NOTES
My adapter cable with the VIA 2109:0711 controller is still crashing on boot, or just not booting at all, even with the quirks. May be a faulty USB SATA adapter cable, although it did mount a disk when I connected it after booting Raspbian. On the other hand, my SSD has gotten corrupted while testing that adapter, so I think I'll just toss it in the trash.

My ASMedia controller based adapters with UAS are faster than the JMicron adapters with quirks applied and UAS disabled. I also have an Orico USB 3.0 enclosure with a Norelsys 1068X controller that works without quirks, but I purchased that a couple of years ago so there's no guarantee it's still the same (these things tend to change over time).

chmuhammadsohaib

Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 am

The update sounds great, but what about USB-C OTG boot? Is it working too via USB-C?

andrum99

Sat May 23, 2020 11:10 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am
Adding quirks for the JMicron chips used in the Sabrent and generic USB 3.0 to SATA-III adapter cables and enclosures got them working. My 4B2 boots fine with the quirks added to the beginning of /boot/cmdline.txt (usb-storage.quirks=152d:0578:u,152d:1561:u).

Quirk 152d:0578:u is for many common adapter cables and enclosures with JMicron controller chips.
Quirk 152d:1561:u is for a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA-III adapter cable.

With those quirks in place my JMicron controller based enclosures and adapter cables now cold boot and reboot correctly.

So as I suspected from what I was observing on the UART output, the bootloader was working and problems with the JMicron based adapters were happening after that stage, when the Linux UAS enabled drivers were in use.Adding quirks disables UAS and uses the USB mass storage protocol (which is also what the bootloader uses). This will reduce performance so mewhat, but it should still be much faster than an SD card.

If you're having trouble USB booting, check the VID:PID of your adapter or enclosure, and if it matches one of the above the quirks should help.
As timg236 said above, the bootloader does not use UAS, only mass storage protocol, so any UAS problems will be down to what happens once Linux takes over, as you have observed.
Last edited by andrum99 on Sat May 23, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendek

Sat May 23, 2020 11:12 am

chmuhammadsohaib wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 am
The update sounds great, but what about USB-C OTG boot? Is it working too via USB-C?
I like the USB 3 speed, so I would recommend using an adapter if necessary. I bought a couple of these.

Man in a van

Sat May 23, 2020 11:43 am

RPI 4B

Toshiba Solid State Hybrid Drive

StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable

StarTech.com USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III H ... ter Cable

piCorePlayer OS

and

Raspbian Buster Desktop OS running on another rpi4b/Samsung M3

Cheers

ronnie