Roken

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 USB mass storage beta

Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 am

Well, I tried using james' instructions to get it working. No dice. Just hung (whatever I tried) at a failure to find the sdcard.

I even tried forcing the issue with BOOT_ORDER=0x4 (big mistake), which simply left me with an unbootable Pi.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten how much of my network relied on the NFS drive that the Pi4 hosted, so after much faffing (and without a spare sdcard), I pulled the card from the errant pi, reformatted and bunged the eeprom recovery on it, fixed the eeprom back to default, then re-flashed raspbian.

Finally had to reinstate my old config.txt to hand over rootfs to the HD. I completely forgot that this would change the UUID of boot, so after more faffing, fixed fstab and have, for now, gone back to the old way.

I'll wait for more reliable guidance before I try again.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri May 22, 2020 8:10 am

I guess it's worth reminding people that this is a BETA release. You should not be using it on any critical systems, you should be expecting problems, and you will find deficiencies in the documentation.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

hippy

Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 am

Roken wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 am
after much faffing (and without a spare sdcard), I pulled the card from the errant pi, reformatted and bunged the eeprom recovery on it, fixed the eeprom back to default, then re-flashed raspbian.
When I corrupted my Boot Eeprom yesterday - not related to this beta, USB booting or RPF firmware - I restored the Boot Eeprom by simply copying the Boot Eeprom Recovery files to my card's boot partition. The documentation recommends an empty SD Card but it worked for me regardless - YMMV. Then erase them when done.

It is at least worth a try before re-flashing the card and then having to restore what one has lost.

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 am

RonR wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:36 am
ehem wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:37 am
What order do USB devices get probed in?

I haven't seen any mention of a mechanism to select which device boots when multiple candidates are present. The Raspberry Pi 4 bootloader appears to be modeled after the Raspberry Pi 3 which uses a first come first served basis. For me, this isn't acceptable as I typically have several bootable devices online at same time and use a script (sdc-boot) to set cmdline.txt on the SD card to establish and change the current 'system' device. I was hoping the new Raspberry Pi 4 bootloader would have an equivalent user settable area to control which device would be booted.

Fortunately, the new bootloader doesn't preclude my continuing to use the tried and proven method I've become accustomed to. Having an SD card present simply to facilitate boot selection isn't the huge problem that some people view it as. The old methodology and the new bootloader actually coexist quite well.
As with Pi 3 the bootloader enumerates USB devices and when it finds a mass storage device it checks if the partition defined by the PM_RSTS register is present, FAT. It then processes config.txt and start.elf before booting or proceeding to the next device.

There is deliberately nothing to control the USB enumeration order or define physical topologies for bootable devices in the EEPROM because that generates far too many support issues when people get it wrong. Forcing an enumeration order slow down boot so that's also been ruled out.
There are already enough hooks (e.g. config.txt filters) to hide a Pi bootable partition.

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 am

unreal4u wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:40 am
Hi!

Using a UGREEN 3.0 case based on a ASM235CM chipset and happy to report that it is working fine, thank you very much for this!!

I have a question though... can I revert back the change I had to do in /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update from beta back to critical once everything is working or do I have to maintain this until USB booting gets in critical?

Thank you!
rpi-eeprom-update just looks as the version (date) and never automatically does a downgrade. So it should be safe to switch to critical unless we found a good enough reason to do a critical update between now and USB MSD being release. Which is unlikely

JSEsq

Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 pm
JSEsq wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 pm
don't work for me.
have fresh buster on both of sd and ssd, followed all steps from https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md, unmasked eeprom, then updated it:

Code: Select all

cp  /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/beta/pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin pieeprom.bin
   rpi-eeprom-config pieeprom.bin > bootconf.txt
   rpi-eeprom-config --out pieeprom-new.bin --config bootconf.txt pieeprom.bin
   sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f ./pieeprom-new.bin
   reboot
but after reboot seems that version of eeprom still old.

vcgencmd bootloader_version
Apr 16 2020 18:11:26
version a5e1b95f320810c69441557c5f5f0a7f2460dfb8 (release)
timestamp 1587057086
would someone be so kind to help me?
Did you change the value in /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update from "critical" to "beta"? Followed by a reboot and then the other steps.
yes, i did.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: external drive should be disconnected until first reboot after eeprom update.
Not sure that it is right for every board and external sata controllers, but in my case that was a reason for the reported issue.

HawaiianPi

Fri May 22, 2020 9:18 am

jamesh wrote:
I guess it's worth reminding people that this is a BETA release.
Yup, I made a full backup of my SSD and used a spare SD card for the beta configuration, so it would be simple to return to normal if things didn't go as planned. Didn't have too much trouble, though.

I have been surprised how many of my various USB-SATA adapters failed to boot though. All of the JMicron based adapters, and the one VIA based adapter I have did not work. On the other hand, all of my ASMedia based models did boot, and the one other surprise was the Norelsys 1068X based enclosure worked.

For reference, the Norelsys enclosure did not work for USB booting a Pi3, but some of the JMicron ones did. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quite the mixed bag, but I suspect the troubles with JMicron chips are due to UASP issues that required quirks to fix, and I'll bet that applying those quirks will get at least some of those adapters working for USB boot (because they did actually start to boot, but failed to complete the boot process, so the bootloader appears to be working).

Guess I'll start some troubleshooting tomorrow and try the quirks for JMicron controllers. If any of them still fail to boot I'll try and capture the boot messages from my UART to help the RPF/RPT engineers out. Let me know if you need anything else.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

pixelk

Fri May 22, 2020 9:19 am

JSEsq wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 pm
JSEsq wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 pm
don't work for me.
have fresh buster on both of sd and ssd, followed all steps from https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md, unmasked eeprom, then updated it:

cp  /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/beta/pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin pieeprom.bin
   rpi-eeprom-config pieeprom.bin > bootconf.txt
   rpi-eeprom-config --out pieeprom-new.bin --config bootconf.txt pieeprom.bin
   sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f ./pieeprom-new.bin
   reboot
but after reboot seems that version of eeprom still old.

vcgencmd bootloader_version
Apr 16 2020 18:11:26
version a5e1b95f320810c69441557c5f5f0a7f2460dfb8 (release)
timestamp 1587057086
would someone be so kind to help me?
Did you change the value in /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update from "critical" to "beta"? Followed by a reboot and then the other steps.
yes, i did.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: external drive should be disconnected until first reboot after eeprom update.
Not sure that it is right for every board and external sata controllers, but in my case that was a reason for the reported issue.
I encounter the same problem : rpi-eeprom-update proceeds without any error, but after reboot, the bootloader_version is still the old one (and yes my FIRMWARE_RELEASE_STATUS="beta" ). I used tweaked bootconf before ( BOOT_UART=1, POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=1, WAKE_ON_GPIO=0), but apart from this I don't see where I deviate from the standard procedure (and yes, I tried without applying my usual bootconf modifications too)

*** EDIT ***

I reply to myself :
I halted, unpluged my usb boot device
booted on µSD
sudo su
export FIRMWARE_RELEASE_STATUS="beta"
rpi-eeprom-update -d -f pieeprom-new.bin ## my already configured 2020-05-15
reboot
and voilà !
Last edited by pixelk on Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 9:23 am

sirvapesalot wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:57 pm
Not sure what I did, but would appreciate help :D . It now boots to the SSD through USB 3.0 port, but not fully I get the following message:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

This is through a new ssd with retropie on it.
This normally happens if cmdline.txt is not using a PARTUIID.

N.B I'm only looking at Raspbian or more precisely the code up to the point where the kernel or u-boot is loaded. So it's worth following up questions about failures after that point on the relevant distro forums

Mikerhinos

Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 am

Switched to it a few hours ago, working pretty fine using a USB 3.0 key 64Go where I cloned microSD system with the SD Card Copier tool after I upgraded the firmware and rebooted.

Only problems I have for now are sometimes CPU that gets mad and is 100% of charge for 4-5 seconds, and some random raspi crashes (black screen a few seconds, then no more signal to my TV, have to reboot manually.

Overclocked to CPU 2000Mhz and GPU 700Mhz, over voltage 6. Working fine with previous firmware for several months so not sure if it has an incidence (temp is ok, 45-50°C).

Is there any log where I could find some clues on these crashes ?

Max_G

Fri May 22, 2020 10:16 am

A big thank you to the development team for this feature.

I left my rPi4s I bought very early on in the drawer until this function would become available.
... because I am done with SD cards... the grief they caused is indescribable.

Well done! Thank you.

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 10:22 am

Mikerhinos wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 am
Switched to it a few hours ago, working pretty fine using a USB 3.0 key 64Go where I cloned microSD system with the SD Card Copier tool after I upgraded the firmware and rebooted.

Only problems I have for now are sometimes CPU that gets mad and is 100% of charge for 4-5 seconds, and some random raspi crashes (black screen a few seconds, then no more signal to my TV, have to reboot manually.

Overclocked to CPU 2000Mhz and GPU 700Mhz, over voltage 6. Working fine with previous firmware for several months so not sure if it has an incidence (temp is ok, 45-50°C).

Is there any log where I could find some clues on these crashes ?
There's no persistent crash recorder functionality in Raspbian so logging is the best best. Either use a UART or use Linux netconsole
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ge ... leshooting

The new bootloader has basic net-console functionality (just text but same configuration string) but that's not supported by start.elf
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md

A bit of a background project to remove the dependency on USB serial cables. Making it easy to use would be a good intern project!

Someone else mentioned the over-clocking change. If you are able to find the new stable overclocking speed / voltage then it would be useful to raise a firmware bug about that.

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 10:28 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:18 am
jamesh wrote:
I guess it's worth reminding people that this is a BETA release.
Yup, I made a full backup of my SSD and used a spare SD card for the beta configuration, so it would be simple to return to normal if things didn't go as planned. Didn't have too much trouble, though.

I have been surprised how many of my various USB-SATA adapters failed to boot though. All of the JMicron based adapters, and the one VIA based adapter I have did not work. On the other hand, all of my ASMedia based models did boot, and the one other surprise was the Norelsys 1068X based enclosure worked.

For reference, the Norelsys enclosure did not work for USB booting a Pi3, but some of the JMicron ones did. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quite the mixed bag, but I suspect the troubles with JMicron chips are due to UASP issues that required quirks to fix, and I'll bet that applying those quirks will get at least some of those adapters working for USB boot (because they did actually start to boot, but failed to complete the boot process, so the bootloader appears to be working).

Guess I'll start some troubleshooting tomorrow and try the quirks for JMicron controllers. If any of them still fail to boot I'll try and capture the boot messages from my UART to help the RPF/RPT engineers out. Let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks for the test, if you can capture some logs then feel free to raise a Github issue.
For high volume traces, NETCONSOLE is probably the way to go if you are already familiar with WireShark / netcat e.g.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom/issues/130

jamesh

Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 am

Max_G wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:16 am
A big thank you to the development team for this feature.

I left my rPi4s I bought very early on in the drawer until this function would become available.
... because I am done with SD cards... the grief they caused is indescribable.

Well done! Thank you.
Thanks, but...`indescribable`?

Try telling that the 30M Pi's out there working fine with SD cards. Been using SD cards on Pi's for 8 years, had two SD card problems in that time. Not what I would indescribable! Have you been inserting them the wrong way round?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

hippy

Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am

Spotted another anomaly/issue in the Boot Eeprom Debug Screen. I noticed that while it's attempting to boot from Network, in the top half of the screen ...

"SD : Card detected"

That surprised me because there's definitely no SD Card in the card socket.

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 11:38 am

hippy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am
Spotted another anomaly/issue in the Boot Eeprom Debug Screen. I noticed that while it's attempting to boot from Network, in the top half of the screen ...

"SD : Card detected"

That surprised me because there's definitely no SD Card in the card socket.
It's based entirely on the status of the card detect pin, that's not 100% reliable because it's muxed with something else. So slightly annoying but mostly harmless.

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 am

RonR wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 pm
timg236 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:42 am
Kendek wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:32 am

GPT or GPT with hybrid MBR? Because I use the latter, but if it's not necessary...
GPT is supported for USB mass storage boot only. SD card GPT will come later because that's different legacy file system code to untangle in start.elf (future rpi-update).

No official support for hybrid MBR but you might get away with it so long as the VC boot partition is always first plausible EFI / FAT candidate

GPT (with hybrid MBR on the BOOT partition) has been working well with both USB mass storage devices and SD cards on all Raspberry Pi's, and appears to be working equally well with all devices using the new Raspberry Pi 4 bootloader. GPT creation is supported with usb-boot and mbr2gpt.

This is a GPT SD card booted stand-alone on a Raspberry Pi 4 with the new bootloader and 5.4.42:

/dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="3F22-886D" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="7ce111ad-90e7-4925-8ec1-6f109680237d"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: UUID="9da84841-567a-41e9-9cda-cc356d96a95b" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="96ac6df6-886c-4653-9a78-4dca2832e385"
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="3a110cf5-466c-4d26-9935-1fb999dba037" PTTYPE="gpt"

A 4TB HD drive works equally well.
Some experimental native GPT support was added for USB boot mode only. The start.elf SD file-system will need some work to properly support GPT only boot there.
EFI / GPT allows lots of configurations which won't work without a lot of work and some which will never work on Pi 4. Fortunately, most of these are of little interest to anyone. Once the SD card stuff is working I'll update some docs to say what is supported for ROM + bootloader + start.elf
Code first, docs later ;)

CypherOz

Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 pm

Once having got the USB boot working...

? how does one clone and existing SD card onto a USB device so I don't have to reinstall/reconfigure a bunch of stuff?

Thanks in advance
--
Regards, Kym
Retired software bloke from Adelaide, South Australia

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 22, 2020 12:47 pm

CypherOz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 pm
Once having got the USB boot working...

? how does one clone and existing SD card onto a USB device so I don't have to reinstall/reconfigure a bunch of stuff?

Thanks in advance

Raspbian Buster with Desktop includes SD Card Copier which will work with MSD's
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

unreal4u

Fri May 22, 2020 12:58 pm

timg236 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 am
unreal4u wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:40 am
Hi!

Using a UGREEN 3.0 case based on a ASM235CM chipset and happy to report that it is working fine, thank you very much for this!!

I have a question though... can I revert back the change I had to do in /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update from beta back to critical once everything is working or do I have to maintain this until USB booting gets in critical?

Thank you!
rpi-eeprom-update just looks as the version (date) and never automatically does a downgrade. So it should be safe to switch to critical unless we found a good enough reason to do a critical update between now and USB MSD being release. Which is unlikely
Ah great, thanks for the answer! I'll just store the MicroSD safely somewhere until this gets into critical (I had my /boot partition already pointing to the SSD on that card, will save from having to edit my cmdline.txt file again should the worse happen)

Greetings.

ranrinc

Fri May 22, 2020 1:48 pm

I wrote a short guide on how to implement the BETA eeprom for those who would like to try it. https://krdesigns.com/articles/raspbian ... -SSD-drive

lingon

Fri May 22, 2020 2:11 pm

I had used quite a few of the previous eeprom beta versions, so initially my Raspberry Pi 4 was doing a SD-boot and then trying to infinitely do a PXE boot. I set explicitly

NET_BOOT_MAX_RETRIES=0
in the boot configuration file and flashed the eeprom once more. After doing that I got the USB MSD boot working fine.

An old Kingston MobileLite G2 SD-reader works, but it is indeed very slow as you suggested.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 090c:6300 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.)
My Crucial 500 GB BX100 SSD in a LC-Power LC-25U3-C2 disk enclosure boots fine and works well with the ASM 235 chipset.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. Name: ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge, ASM1153E SATA 6Gb/s bridge
[ 1.538416] usb 2-2: Product: ASM235
[ 1.538430] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: ASMT
Thank you very much for this nice work!

cyclic

Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Samsung T5 - 1TB USB3
Amd64 Gparted MSDOS & 2 partitions created and T5 tested ok on pi4 raspian
Amd64 Etcher & rpi Imager on Kubuntu both refuse to accept T2 - 1TB as destination for "Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software".
Amd64 Kubuntu Startup Disk Creator does accept T2 - 1TB as desination and completes normally.
Inspection shows apparently all as would be expected.

pi4-4GB running live system from SD with T5 also plugged in
process of rpi-update / reboot ok
process of rpi-eeprom-updater / reboot SD ok
(assuming I have fully understood the disjointed thread / documentation)

Remove SD.
Reboot with only T5 boots from USB but hangs at
"Welcome to Raspian Desktop" wizard.
Stops with "next" button highlighted and cursor on top-left raspberry icon.
Keyboard and mouse both dead.

Retry all on T5 get same results
Retry all with Data Traveller 16GB USB2 get same results

Seeing other posts - multiple eeprom updates have no effect.
Boot reports the correct order.

Seeing other posts - I used SD Card Copier on raspian to clone SD->T5 - Copy successful.
Manual mounted T5 - checked PARTUUIDs and fixed cmndline.txt / fstab as required

Hey Presto Samsung T5 - 1TB now boots with no SD present.
Boot time is 28 sec power socket -> desktop live.

Is there anything clutter left that I should check for and remove?

Thank you for your work.

timg236

Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm

cyclic wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm
Samsung T5 - 1TB USB3
Amd64 Gparted MSDOS & 2 partitions created and T5 tested ok on pi4 raspian
Amd64 Etcher & rpi Imager on Kubuntu both refuse to accept T2 - 1TB as destination for "Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software".
Amd64 Kubuntu Startup Disk Creator does accept T2 - 1TB as desination and completes normally.
Inspection shows apparently all as would be expected.

pi4-4GB running live system from SD with T5 also plugged in
process of rpi-update / reboot ok
process of rpi-eeprom-updater / reboot SD ok
(assuming I have fully understood the disjointed thread / documentation)

Remove SD.
Reboot with only T5 boots from USB but hangs at
"Welcome to Raspian Desktop" wizard.
Stops with "next" button highlighted and cursor on top-left raspberry icon.
Keyboard and mouse both dead.

Retry all on T5 get same results
Retry all with Data Traveller 16GB USB2 get same results

Seeing other posts - multiple eeprom updates have no effect.
Boot reports the correct order.

Seeing other posts - I used SD Card Copier on raspian to clone SD->T5 - Copy successful.
Manual mounted T5 - checked PARTUUIDs and fixed cmndline.txt / fstab as required

Hey Presto Samsung T5 - 1TB now boots with no SD present.
Boot time is 28 sec power socket -> desktop live.

Is there anything clutter left that I should check for and remove?

Thank you for your work.
Do the keyboard and mouse work if you remove and re-insert them? That might indicate that they (incorrect) expect the USB port power to be reset at some point.

It might also be worth adding over_voltage=2 if you are seeing persistent USB issues with mouse and keyboard. During boot, the core voltage will be higher because DVFS is not activated until after starting the Linux kernel. So a problem might not appear until later on.

If you can login via SSH or UART then it would be useful to know if dmesg reports any XHCI errors.

mlaun

Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 pm

newbee to the forum here. Longtime Pi user.

Just wanted to report: On my test/play pi4 have it running with no descernable problems.
pi4 4GB at 2GHz overclocked. Boot device Samsung ssd T5 250GB

I'm mainly using java, mono and am in the middle of porting the MOI Language to it.

Markus

Return to “General discussion”