Gess1t

Anyone has a way to usb tether another device from a raspberry pi?

Wed May 13, 2020 9:51 pm

‎‎
Question is in the title, i wonder if it's possible.

I've got spacedesk running and i would like to reduce the latency caused by a router's wifi becoming weak with time + high amount of devices connected,
so i thought i could use my raspberry pi as a router, so i can keep it next to my pc, i will have low latency due to short distance, and i'll still have internet on my pc from ethernet.
what kind of setup would that require?
so basicaly, make the raspberry pi into a LAN
PS: my tablet doesn't support ethernet AFAIK and can't use the wifi adapter on my pc or it will BSOD because drivers suck, and there is no other available

i originally tried it with my phone also using usb tethering, but it requirement to setup a proxy via an app called "proxy server" and i don't know how to set it up for spacedesk, so i gave up

ejolson

Re: Anyone has a way to usb tether another device from a raspberry pi?

Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 pm

Gess1t wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:51 pm
‎‎
Question is in the title, i wonder if it's possible.

I've got spacedesk running and i would like to reduce the latency caused by a router's wifi becoming weak with time + high amount of devices connected,
so i thought i could use my raspberry pi as a router, so i can keep it next to my pc, i will have low latency due to short distance, and i'll still have internet on my pc from ethernet.
what kind of setup would that require?
so basicaly, make the raspberry pi into a LAN
PS: my tablet doesn't support ethernet AFAIK and can't use the wifi adapter on my pc or it will BSOD because drivers suck, and there is no other available

i originally tried it with my phone also using usb tethering, but it requirement to setup a proxy via an app called "proxy server" and i don't know how to set it up for spacedesk, so i gave up

USB tethering can be done with the 4B, the Zero, the Zero W and all A models. It can not be done from any of the B models except for the 4B. The 4B and A models may require a custom cable.

An easier solution might be a wired GB USB Ethernet dongle for the notebook with a category 6 cable between the Pi and the notebook.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Foldable ... 00YUU3KC6/

Return to “General discussion”