s0mm3r

Re: raspi case on sale - legit?

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:55 pm

I found this site on the web where someone is already selling cases:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/434919/

I don't know if you can trust him but i wanted to let you guys know about it.

I think he prints them with a 3D printer

abishur

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:02 pm

It's legit, it's just also not official   Shapeways is a place that lets you build custom... shapes out of a variety of materials.  This person has used the official dimensions to build a case on shapeways.  It hasn't been tested yet as far as I'm aware, but it should work.  IMHO, however, shapeways is overpriced.  I don't have an alternative yet, but I'm keeping my eyes open.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Yes, we're fine with that. He makes it very clear it's not an official product, and it's not got our branding on it.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Tomo2k

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Shapeways is a 3D rapid-prototyping shop.

Anybody can upload their own design and pay Shapeways to make it.
Shapeways also allow you to share your design with other people, either free or for a small charge.

So the site is legit.

However I believe that this particular design has not yet been tested with the Beta boards so I would hold off until the designer has been able to test it.

tek-monkey

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Casing it will be half the fun, I was thinking of an old intellimouse 2.0 (if its still in the loft), just need to hone my dremel skills!  The most obvious choice I can see though would be making it into the case of a powered USB hub, as that way it doesn't really take any more space than you would have needed anyway.

mobeyduck

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:29 pm

The designer swirlingbrain is on this forum, altough i think he joined after i spotted his case

it cost quite much, he tried to make it a bit cheaper with the "air-holes" in the design

trying to find the post about it is rather hard in a 40page thread

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....pi/page-33 so im looking for it will link it if i can find it

hippy

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:44 pm

mobeyduck said:

trying to find the post about it is rather hard in a 40page thread
This is likely swirlingbrain's first post regarding their case, post 509

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....pi/page-34

mobeyduck

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Yup thats it, coudnt find it because of database errors, time-outs an stuff.

He also has his 2nd post in there its about materials and colors

HansH

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:31 pm

You still need to wait for the definite boards…

Swirlingbrain currently uses the wrong pcb width 53.98 instead of 56mm, no idea how much tolerance he kept.

He also posted a video of the finished case somewhere in the case thread…

Looks very good.

Currently I have 2 cases coming, which I got printed somewhere else… (much cheaper than Shapeways) but those are done by RepRap 3D printer

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....se-designs

But for RepRap you have design restrictions, minimum wall sizes, everything thing needs to be supported… so you can"t do everthing

I also have 1 case on order with Shapeways, which is a low profile case which can be stacked, minimizing material, to keep it cheap.

Currently it costs about 17 euro (excluding shipping), but no idea how it will come out.

At least when I have both I can compare the quality…

And when the Pi is sold, hopefully it will fit in one of the cases….

cheery

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:17 pm

So expensive.. I thought you could make a case for raspberry cost about 2$ and still profit on it!

HansH

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:37 pm

cheery said:

So expensive.. I thought you could make a case for raspberry cost about 2$ and still profit on it!

Its early, they are all custom design and single pieces, we don't own a factory...

I expect when it is released there will be, after some time, an 'official' cheap case.

If you have a 3D printer, you will use about 4m of 3mm filament, so that is just a bit over £1 of plastic

Too bad I don't own a 3D printer.....

swirlingbrain

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Hello everyone.  To those who are wondering, well, I think I'm legit. 

Anyway, when I look at the sketchup drawing it still shows the pcb to be 54mm by 84mm dimension.  Is there some design change of 56mm that we should know about?  Where is that board spec other than the sketchup drawing?  Anyway, on the inside I have little 1mm bumps that surround the board so those could be filed down if the board size is a little larger than expected.

This is of course not the official TBD case that raspberry pi will make.  This is just one that I modeled and put on shapeways.  If you like it all the better!  I agree that shapeways is a bit expensive so that would make the price a little out of most people's price reach.  Oh well.

Here's the video you were looking for (below).  Since making the video I've enlarged the icons and shrunk the USB port hole since this video but the case it pretty much the same.  You'll have to go to shapeways to view the model in 3D to see the changes.  Until I get a board, there will probably still need to be more changes but I should be pretty close.

I hope that helps answer some questions.

HansH said:

You still need to wait for the definite boards…

Swirlingbrain currently uses the wrong pcb width 53.98 instead of 56mm, no idea how much tolerance he kept.

He also posted a video of the finished case somewhere in the case thread…

Looks very good.

HansH

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:15 pm

swirlingbrain said:

Anyway, when I look at the sketchup drawing it still shows the pcb to be 54mm by 84mm dimension.  Is there some design change of 56mm that we should know about?  Where is that board spec other than the sketchup drawing?  Anyway, on the inside I have little 1mm bumps that surround the board so those could be filed down if the board size is a little larger than expected.

Gert measured the Beta board and put that up on : http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....nical-data

Also I took a closer look at the highres pictures of the board and if you resize it, it ends up with approx 853  x 560 pixels.... so that seems to confirm...

Wait for the Pi and see if it fits... ,  until then we both can look to a nice empty case, just waiting for the release.......

Can you tell what wall thickness you used or how detailed some parts are ?

That way I get an impression how good the shapeway printing is, and if I can reduce it further in order to save on material costs, but still get a good quality...

swirlingbrain

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 pm

HansH said:

Can you tell what wall thickness you used or how detailed some parts are ?

That way I get an impression how good the shapeway printing is, and if I can reduce it further in order to save on material costs, but still get a good quality...

Thanks for pointing me to the beta board measurements!  That seems to be the best info I've seen so far on the dimensions!

I used 1mm wall thickness with their White Strong and Flexible material which is also one of their cheapest.  It's a very resilient material and fairly strong.  I was pleasantly surprised at how strong it was when it arrived.  That's probably because besides the material being strong the model is a box so that gives it some strength and I do have some 1mm strength ribs on the inside so it's sort of like 2mm strength in that respect.  I think they can go even thinner on the wall thickness down to 0.7mm but I think they really want you to make it thicker not thinner.  Raised details can be even less.  I think I used 0.3mm for the raised icons.  Shapeways has other materials that can get even better resolution like the Frosted Ultra Detail material but I think it is a more brittle material.

Return to “General discussion”