milhouse

Re: RPi Power by USB Hub?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 am

I wonder if it"s going to be possible for some enterprising soul to come out with a case for the R-Pi that also includes a 4 to 7 port USB2 hub with internal USB cabling to provide micro-USB power (1A, or maybe just 500ma) for the R-Pi and a single USB data connection back to the hub from the R-Pi. Expose the remaining 4+ USB ports on the top or side of the case.

One power adapter (>1A output, of course) would be all that"s needed to power the hub, R-Pi and also any connected USB devices (at 500ma, although 1A would be nice on all USB sockets, or maybe even just a limited number of special "high current" sockets).

Buy the "hub case" and associated PSU, drop in your own Model A or Model B R-Pi board, connect up the two cables, close the case – job done.

Or am I dreaming?

archsaddler

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:27 am

Plenty of room for a Pi in here.

http://gdgt.com/wesco/doctor-w.....t-usb-hub/

ArborealSeer

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:05 pm

ElectroPulse said:

So, is there really any disadvantage to experimenting around with the power drawn by the RPi? Like, if I plug something in (such as an external hard drive) that draws more power than it can handle, what could be some problems with that? Anything irrepairable? (I would assume not… unless important data was lost of course)

In what we're talking about here a well behaved hub that draws too much on one port should ™ close that port down until its power cycled and not power down the one powering the RPi itself. However, in the real world there is hardware out there that doesn't strictly do things by the book. I guess the rule is, when in doubt power separately.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

Return to “General discussion”