gjs

Re: USB Dial-Up Modem

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Does anyone know if I will be able to get this working on a Raspberry Pi:

http://www.zoomtel.com/product.....l_usb.html

There appears to be Linux drivers but I'm not sure about Linux on ARM.

It has voice capabilities, does this present itself like a USB sound card?

Thanks for any pointers.

Themroc

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:44 pm

gjs said:

Does anyone know if I will be able to get this working on a Raspberry Pi:

http://www.zoomtel.com/product.....l_usb.html

There appears to be Linux drivers but I'm not sure about Linux on ARM.

It has voice capabilities, does this present itself like a USB sound card?

Thanks for any pointers.

This thingy seems to be a "winmodem", which is basically just a soundcard. Thus, it should be no problem at all to use it for voicemail, but i have no idea how it's done. Maybe the linuxant-driver provides some interface?

Docteh

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:00 pm

What is you motivation in using the modem? Are you thinking of voicemail, voip or actually dialing the internet? I am in a rural area so there is actually people that still have dialup internet.
Linuxant is binary blob + code that hooks into the kernel iirc.

ledow

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 am

No, but I can recommend an alternative.

There are Hayes Accura v92 USB Fax/Modems out there that will work.  I have a couple running my employer's fax lines and automated systems.  They are detected under Linux as a standard serial port and you can talk to them just like an old-fashioned modem.  They are reliable, too - two of them have been running for about 3 years now, sending and receiving faxes 24/7.

You can also use them for dial-up / dial-in services if you want - they handle it quite well.  I pair them with some cheap 3G dongles, which gives us fax in / out, analog modem in / out, 3G modem out and SMS lines from just two USB devices.

gimliflea

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 am

That device does claim to be Hayes compatible so should work with Linux.

walney

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:35 am

Hi - these devices are not winmodems. The drivers set up a virtual com port. Once this has been done you can talk to the device through its serial port using standard modem command strings.

(Dunno whether this will work on the pi, but I have one so I'll let you know when the time comes.)

avishorp

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:40 pm

If it works with a desktop linux without installing any proprietary software (drivers or userspace), it should generally work with ARM as well.

Avishay

gjs

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Docteh said:

What is you motivation in using the modem? Are you thinking of voicemail, voip or actually dialing the internet? I am in a rural area so there is actually people that still have dialup internet.
Linuxant is binary blob + code that hooks into the kernel iirc.

I was investigating the posiibiulity of enabling a RPi to do speech dialling (call numbers and make a voice anouncement) and fixed line SMS.  However, having found and looked at ES 201 912, there is not much chance of me be able to translate it into a set of AT commands!

gjs

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:04 pm

walney said:

Hi - these devices are not winmodems. The drivers set up a virtual com port. Once this has been done you can talk to the device through its serial port using standard modem command strings.

(Dunno whether this will work on the pi, but I have one so I'll let you know when the time comes.)

The Zoom (Connexant) device  that I linked to or the Hayes Accura that ledow mentioned?

This is what I was hoping for, a small cheap device that emauilates a serial port and then just uses normal AT commands and serial data.  *BUT*, in this case, how does the voice element work?  Or doesn't it?

Thanks.

walney

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 am

gjs said:

The Zoom (Connexant) device  that I linked to or the Hayes Accura that ledow mentioned?

This is what I was hoping for, a small cheap device that emauilates a serial port and then just uses normal AT commands and serial data.  *BUT*, in this case, how does the voice element work?  Or doesn't it?

Thanks.

I was referring to the Zoom modem - it uses the Conexant CX930xx chipset. I have just checked on the CD that shipped with it and it does appear to contain some GPL source code for Conexant USB hardware modems (also referred to as Conexant DGC USB modem driver, so you might be able to port it if it is not automatically recognised.

You need the document 3095F_ATcommands.pdf  for the full list of commands (http://www.zoomtel.com/documen.....mmands.pdf).

In terms of voice, it supports the +V command set so you can roll your own to transmit and record voice (though it isn't all that easy if you don't have any experience of doing this).

radiohound

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:06 am

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would post my experience with the Zoom USB modem 3095. I searched the internet for drivers, but it turns out you don't need any. This modem seems to show up as a serial port. To find out which port, I had to look here: /dev/serial/by-path

With luck, you should find an entry. Right click, and go to properties, it should show you the port. Mine showed up as /dev/ttyACM0

I loaded minicom to test dialing:
sudo apt-get install minicom
sudo minicom -s

Then change the serial port settings to point to the right serial port. In my case /dev/ttyACM0
Save settings, then see if you can dial out with atdt 5555555

With that working, I proceeded to install ppp and pppconfig, and was able to do perform a dial up connection.

Wessix

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:34 pm

hey i got a TrendNet TFM-561U 56K USB 2.0 Modem , seems it is regognized by linux without installing anything,
http://www.linux-hardware-guide.de/2013 ... elefon-fax

I installed minicom and tried to fill in options I know and tryed dialing, i got always an carrier error.
then I installed wvdial and got a bit further, it starts ppp and then i git a ppp exit error 16.
On my ISDN Box i see the modem dials and blocks one line.

I've searched many hours for a proper and detailed description that explains step by step how to set up such dial up connection, but until now i didn't had success. Can onyone help setting this thing up corectly? My ISP is T-Online (German Telekom)

Would be great to get this thing done.

Wessix

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:11 pm

i got it working, by using gnome-ppp

d82k

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi,
does anyone of you been able to make Trendnet TFM-561U work with raspberry pi and make it recognize the caller id?

Thank you,
dk

zafiro17

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:07 am

@gjs - since you provided a link to my linuxant driver page, I'm providing an updated URL, since I've redone my website in new software. I got the zoom modem running on an x86 box (opensuse or maybe just suse), and the page I wrote about it is at http://therandymon.com/index.php?/156-U ... Linux.html

Return to “General discussion”