Dimension02000

cifs fstab/mount problem

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 pm

I have a cfis share that I cannot mount on (Buster). The problem occurs with the password. I get an "Invalid argument" error. If I manually enter the credentials the error occurs upon entering the password. If I use fstab it happens when I issue the mount command. Here is the fstab entry:

//192.168.10.110/Backups /Backups cifs defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=000,credentials=/etc/security/fstab.EAP 0 0

Can someone help me debug this? TIA.

thagrol

Re: cifs fstab/mount problem

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:15 pm

Try a forum and/or web search. This has come up before so you may find a solution that way.

if you can't, post your server config, both globally and relating to the share, as well as details of the hardware and software it is running.
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

Dimension02000

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:10 am

Thanks for the reply. I didn't find anything helpful but after playing around I was able to mount the share 'rw' with the following command:

sudo mount -vv -t cifs -o username=pi,uid=1000 //192.168.10.110/Backups /Backups

The bizarre part is when I remove the umask parameter from the fstab entry, the error goes away and the share is mounted rw, at least for that uid. I can accept that. I guess the Windows side does not like me giving full permissions to all users. However, the error is really useless at best and misleading at worst.

thagrol

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:37 am

Dimension02000 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:10 am
Thanks for the reply. I didn't find anything helpful but after playing around I was able to mount the share 'rw' with the following command:

sudo mount -vv -t cifs -o username=pi,uid=1000 //192.168.10.110/Backups /Backups

The bizarre part is when I remove the umask parameter from the fstab entry, the error goes away and the share is mounted rw, at least for that uid. I can accept that. I guess the Windows side does not like me giving full permissions to all users. However, the error is really useless at best and misleading at worst.
I think you'll find that umask is not a valid mount option for cifs. Use file_mode and dir_mode instead. See

Code: Select all

man mount.cifs

Incidentally, if you're going to force permissions to be wide open, there's little benefit to forcing UID and GID too.
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

LTolledo

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:54 am

check your credentials file, should be in same format as:

user=notyouofcourse
password=forgetmenot

if like below

user = notyouofcourse
password = forgetmenot
you will have headaches....