mmkw43

VNC -- copy files?

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:53 pm

In an effort to save time on this, can anyone help me? Is it possible to transfer files (some text files) from 2 VNC connected PC's (one will be windows, the other a PI). PI receives the files, windows PC sends. Don't know if I can do this -- guess I could email the files to the PI and go that route but is there a simpler, more direct way? BIG THANKS.

Botspot

Re: VNC -- copy files?

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:11 pm

mmkw43 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:53 pm
Is it possible to transfer files PI receives the files, windows PC sends.
Assuming you're using RealVNC, there should be a file transfer protocol built-in to both viewer and server.
In addition, the clipboards are synced, so you could select & copy a text file then paste it in the other machine.
Want to run Minecraft Java on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
Pi-Apps also includes Zoom, Visual Studio, Tor browser, Windows 10 theme, and 33 more.
Over 50,000 users!

klricks

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:36 pm

The file transfer utility is in the hidden toolbar (Windows RealVNC). To show toolbar hover the mouse at the center area of taskbar.
As mentioned it may be easier to just Copy & Paste.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

scruss

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:48 pm

To transfer the other way, right click on the VNC icon on the taskbar. I can never remember whether it's the hidden menu or the icon for each transfer direction.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Return to “General discussion”