prodata

Re: Sourcing DC power cables

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Looks like the micro USB connector is the intended primary power source. Some of us will want to power the RPi from a DC source. Anyone spotted a good source of suitable power cables for this, ie a lead with a microUSB on one end and the 5v and ground conductors (ideally only these two) brought out to tinned flying leads (or some defined type of standard DC connector)? It's obviously not too onerous to cannibalise an existing microUSB power lead on a one-off basis, but it would be simpler/quicker/safer for anyone contemplating adapting multiple RPi units if a more convenient lead were available as a starting point.

drgeoff

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:34 pm

When I first read people writing that the power connector was micro USB I assumed they really meant mini-USB as PSUs and USB leads with that connector are much more common.  At least in my collection which contains nothing ending in a micro USB.  However the drawing in the FAQ definitely says micro and the photos I've looked at also point that way.  Not what I would have done.  :-)

BlueClogger

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Micro USB is, supposedly, the new 'standard' for mobiles phones - certainly my last two Samsungs have them (so two PSUs there...) as did the Blackberry I used to have at work.

If you have a suitable mini USB PSU eBuyer (and others, I'm sure) do an adaptor from mini to micro USB.

stormy1

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:03 pm

I plan on creating a POE cable for my PI.

The 100base Ethernet only uses 4 wires out of 8 so the other 4 can carry power.

Connect a USB connector/cable to both ends and plug it into a usb power source.

Should be fine up to 6 feet at 5V for longer distance use a 12V supply and a switching regulator near the PI to convert it to 5v.

Return to “General discussion”