willrandship

Re: Crazy ideas:

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:51 pm

I thought of a fun idea, that would involve a lot of money pouring into the foundation Especially if we can get some form of openCL, then the Pi would really make a great system for making a cluster computer with.

Two things that would make this a lot easier:

A rack to mount several Pi's in. I'm thinking you slide it into a  slot that plugs in the MicroUSB power and the SD card (or the fake connector, see below) then when you close it it connects the LAN as part of the cover that holds it in. It wouldn't be held up by the connectors, there would still be ridges it mounts on (not unlike a CD drive mount)

How hard would it be to make a Computer imitate being an SD card? As in, there's a connector with just the pins leading in that run to a few GPIO on another Rpi. This would allow having, say, 20 Rpis behaving as the SD card emulators for another 40. They would load then run on RAM, recieving work over LAN. This, ideally, would save some money, as I can't find anywhere with a decent supply of cheap, low capacity SD cards.

best part: We could fit 60 Rpis in a Full ATX tower space with plenty of breathing room, and still drawing significantly less. Also significantly more powerful in the right applications.

hvc123

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:00 pm

yer i had a thought about this and to be honest im stuck on the boot part...

i have setup multi cpu computing before and the way i had the dell blades boot was to getthem all to boot via NFS and then they all boot the same rootfs only problem is the pi require the sdcard to have a fat partition.

im not sure about creating a file and vm it somehow to make the pi think its an sdcard with a wierd connector to act as sdcard.

so i think it would be more than possible but we would need a shed load of cheap (dont care about size, as long as they are cheap) sdcards.

after some playing with the os it would make a fast **** box

willrandship

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:54 am

It would be fairly trivial to set them up with an SD card onboard. A software approach wouldn't really work since the Pi has no BIOS.  Any cloning would depend on something "smart" behind the sd card itself. I was thinking that since SD's approach is basically some GPIO it would be ok to have another system feed the appropriate data over said lines, but it's probably not going to be cost-effective as compared to bulk SD cards.

Theoretically, you could have it boot, then remove it and put it in the next system. That would work for a smaller cluster size.

TheEponymousBob

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:24 am

Nit sure if it"s exactly what you"re talking about, but the notion of clustered RPis has been discussed in another thread. A cluster of Raspberry Pis has been affectionately entitled a "bramble". This pleases me.

RaTTuS

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 am

you may as well get the cheepest SD card you can which will prove enough to boot from the LAN -

no need to make it complex,

wire 4 in a box to a 5port switch and then wire switches together...

now as for CL computing that will prove harder ....

1+1 = 11? yes
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

drgeoff

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 am

RaTTuS said:

1+1 = 11? yes

No 1+1 =10. 

(There are only 10 kinds of people in the world – those who understand binary and those who don't.)

Return to “General discussion”